some new 1:64 customs from the garage

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

some new 1:64 customs from the garage

Postby highfatalityroad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 pm

OK here’s my first post. hope this is a good way to introduce myself.

thank you for this site, it is a great resource with so much MM information and history of the movies.

these pics below are all hotwheels and matchboxes that I customized recently. I’ve got a collection of 1:64 cars of all kinds, classic cars, Cords, Ferraris, all the James Bond cars, Austin Powers' Shaguar, etc. always been a Mad Max fan, and when the '73 Falcon hotwheels models hit the street I bought one with the vague idea of maybe trying to paint it (it sat for 6 months at least), then finally gave it a shot, and ended up here after much trial and error. I’ve had other size diecast in the past, and still have some 1:43’s, but 1:64 is the size I like best, probably just something from having so many as a kid - and they inexpensive and surprisingly easy to customize once you learn the basics and have the right tools and paint set-up. there's a guy on ebay selling his versions of these cars and his pics gave me great ideas.

I have not yet incorporated the weathering or dust/rust effect, but perhaps in the next round. I’m still trying to get the painting down right and I have to do this on the cheap as I don’t another expensive hobby. I’m still learning, so any feedback or advice is appreciated. I also have a few of the new Johnny Lightning MFP models, which are cool as hell. wish they’d have used the correct car models but still very rad.

planning on doing a Laundau next, but have to find the right car model to work on.

INTERCEPTORS

RED BAT XA
well really just another XB hotwheels, since that’s all we have to work with in this platform. this one took the most time of all of them. so many details. all my own paint work.

DART CAR
it’s a Dodge Charger, as there aren’t any Valiants in this scale to be had. constructed the dart gun myself, this also took a while, and I painted it silver to make it stick out more. all my own painting; that hood skull thing was a real challenge, and in the end I just took the abstract route.

BAD COP
I really like this paint design they had on this one. I left the silver part of the design as plain metal - it looks more desert-worn that way. I also added blue spots on the grill since the movie model had blue lights and this one needed more blue.

DUNE BUGGY 1
hotwheels Roll Cage with cage stripped of paint and left bare, seats painted brown like old leather. Wheel swap and different spare on back. are there any other dunebuggy platforms out there in 1:64?

DUNE BUGGY 2
another hotwheels, this was my own creation and basically an afterthought after I cannibalized a short track racer for parts for a planned Landau. I just removed parts I wanted, took off the body and painted the inner remaining roll cage and base, and added an big engine and radiator I had from a 32 Ford (also cut up for parts). and a fat spare tire for the dogs of war.

GROUP SHOTS

highfatalityroad

Re: some new 1:64 customs from the garage

Postby Zarana-X » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Nice work! I've customized a few Hot Wheels in my time. I like the use of the Greased Gremlin chassis for the dune buggy.
Hot Wheels has few other dune buggy models. Most common is the "Megaforce" buggy, they've used that mold every few years since 82, and alot the last 10 years.

There is also a vintage "Rock Crusher" buggy, but its kinda scarce and the roll cage is fragile.

They recenly released a long-travel sandrail, but it's not very common.
Theres also a few hot rod type buggys, but not very realistic.

Matchbox has a military-esqe/utility sandrail they used alot in the early 2000's , but I havn't seen it used in awhile.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Postby toecutter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Excellent work.

What did you rob the interceptor blowers from ?

matchbox also do a buggy, its easily found.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby highfatalityroad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:07 pm

thanks for the kind words.

yeah that's the name, thanks, Greased Gremlin, I didn't even notice. but it worked. once I had the body off I was like, hey, that's a dune buggy. I cut the entire back end off of the chassis, flush with the wheels and cage. and those sidepipes will go on the Landau if I ever get to it. I will have to get that hotwheels dune buggy to work on, it looks perfect for this kind of thing.

as for the blower/engine on the Interceptors, they are from the hotwheels Way Too Fast car. two engines on each car (is that cool or what for a parts scrounger?), plastic, easy to work with, and they look about as close as any matchbox-scale engine does. plus they fit right into a rectangular hood opening once you trim them down a bit.
highfatalityroad

Postby Zarana-X » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

The Megaforce buggy looks like this, its been sold under 3 differnt names, Mega Destroyer Super Cannon, and the recent ones were Enforcer. This is one of the Super Cannon ones.

This one is also interesting, looks like an AMC Eagle, with a BMW720 nose, its called Sting Rod
Image You can still find this one recently too, there is a newer version called Sting Rod II, looks like a late 60's Corvette.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Postby highfatalityroad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:02 am

thanks, yeah I'm looking more for the roll cage style buggy like in the movie. the matchbox one looks cool.

these newer toys with the missiles on them don't appeal to me as much, since I'm more interested in matching the movie vehicles. :)
highfatalityroad

Postby Chase Bansi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:45 am

Good to see your work. The Hot Wheels Falcons have been quite a favorite among modelers. There have been several different posts about these (http://www.madmaxmovies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8759&start=70&hilit=hot+wheels). It's funny how working on these seems to encourage us to do non movie "freelanced" versions of our own.

No matter where you go, there you are MFP 5863
Chase Bansi

Postby ramfett » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Nice work! I particularly like your Red bat XA and dartgun Valiant.

One thing I would suggest is to perhaps change out the hotwheels 5-spokers and plastic tires for some more realistic ones with rubber tires. I've done that to a few of my Hotwheels cars, it adds a nice bit of realism that they otherwise lack. 1/64 NASCAR wheels would look really good on the interceptors.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing your Landau!
ramfett

Postby highfatalityroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 pm

thanks.

yeah I've done wheel swaps on some, like the Red Bat has rubber wheels that came off a tractor trailer model I had, but for the others it was just easier (and cheaper) to paint the plastic 5-spoke wheels.

I need to get me some of those nascar models for some wheel swaps in the future, it would certainly add. I'm not a nascar fan so I'll I'd use em for is parts.

one thing I did which I thought added some realism is I carved out the rear wheel wells with the dremel (and the front wells on the Red Bat and Interceptors), and added longer axles to extend the rear wheels out beyond the wells, gives them that muscular look like they have in the movie.
highfatalityroad

Postby highfatalityroad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 pm

what I want to know is, what are guys using to put the front end on the black MM interceptors?

that is the primary part I have not yet figured out.
highfatalityroad

Next

Return to Models and Modelling