Hot Wheels Falcon XB

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Re: Hot Wheels Falcon XB

Postby lord humungus » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Dragonforce wrote:ones I have are just as arse as the Ertl ones!
okay now you've just gone off the deep end here. i own all the classic ertl 80's cars and trucks based off of the a-team,dukes of hazzard,airworlf hell even rip tied. they are and always remain the most detailed of the bunch ever released and to this day hold up really well in my collection.

now maybe i'm missing something and these find detialed machines never made it over seas. hotwheels i can somewhat contend can be crap -looks at his recently issued batmobile from the 1960's tv show and marvels at it's detial- looking at the delorean they have up there it doesn't look like hot wheels intends to just crap on these classic models.

i leave room that i could be wrong as we have no solid pictures of the car itself done by hotwheels. but when you come after ertl you better come with better evidence cause i am prepared to show how well the cars are compared to their on screen counterparts.
lord humungus

Postby Dragonforce » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:08 pm

well the ertl ones I have are very low detail. I have a 1/18 (looks bigger) John Deere Chad Little #23 Nascar, and the detail is very basic for something of it's scale. It was so bastard anchored to the hideous plastic base (6 screws with altered tamperproof heads under a superglued on plastic panel that had to be completely drilled/sawed away to get to the screws which were in turn drilled out) just to get the car sitting on its wheels! What sort of F**karse company does that? Makes a model with a Permanent unremoveable plastic stand! It was unreal! It's gone now, and the car looks way better standing on its own so to speak. What sort of Noddy goes out and buys a car like this and happily accepts they cannot remove the base and keeps it permanently on there? I don't lie Ertl for this, and the lack of detail I have seen. Perhaps they have a quality tier from budget to elite, but thus far I havent seen anything that comes close to the detail of the Action models. I have the Sunstar 1/18 back to the future II De-Lorean, and that is by far the best detailed and most authentic version on the market.

In my mind Ertl Suck, and until I see proof supporting anything else, my opinion will remain the same.
Dragonforce

Postby Dragonforce » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:35 am

lord humungus wrote: but when you come after ertl you better come with better evidence cause i am prepared to show how well the cars are compared to their on screen counterparts.

Oh dear am I about to enter a war over die-cast models?

"when you come after ertl you better....blah blah blah"
Are you gonna NUKE me?? :lol:
Dragonforce

Postby lord humungus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:21 am

Dragonforce wrote:
lord humungus wrote: but when you come after ertl you better come with better evidence cause i am prepared to show how well the cars are compared to their on screen counterparts.

Oh dear am I about to enter a war over die-cast models?

"when you come after ertl you better....blah blah blah"
Are you gonna NUKE me?? :lol:

no i don't do wars anymore it's not worth it. you just seem to crap on a lot of things and speak more from prejudice or possible ignorance or your just saying it to be an internet douche and make everyone mad for no other reason then you bored. either way i could care i am simply stating my opposition to you ideas that everything seems to suck and will be horrible. other then that i could care less what you think as you've obviously formed your own opinon based on whatever experience you've had and won't budge. it's admirable if not a bit misguided but that's you choice and you've made it. nothing more need be said.
lord humungus

Postby Dragonforce » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:10 pm

I am not "crapping" on anything here! I actually have a very bad Ertl die cast that I naievely paid good money for before I knew good from bad in the Die Cast world. Based on this apalling piece of scrap metal I feel the way I do about them, coupled with the few hours it took me to remove the "permanent" and ridiculous mount, led me to my conclusion. Yes it is narrow minded because it is based on my very limited experience with them. For me it's no different from a consumers perspective of entering a shop and buying a product of no brand in particular, getting it home and comparing it to another brand item of similar type to find the new one lacking in every way. Do you make a mental note to always look out for that brand and avoid it? or do you continue buying that brand based on a less than pleasurable first experience? Gee sorry I rocked your Ertl boat there! However I am still open minded enough to accept that there are good ones out there...I just havent seen any here yet, and once I do (if ever) I will forget about the past, and give the Nascar to some poor kid down the street and move on to bigger and better things while feeling confident that it is money well spent.
There are many many other things in this world that have come and gone through my life thus far that I am overjoyed with, happy and content with also. I have just posted about some of my favourite games on the games thread...no "crapping" there.
Hot Wheels 1/64's are not "adult collectables" and are traditionally made for the sandpit or the hotwheels track kits, and as such do not reflect any detail worthy of display. Sure buy them at 99c or whatever, I just don't see the point unless you have nothing else in your display case. I only have the Autoart 1/18 interceptor, a 1/18 Allan Moffat XB Brut33 signed coupe, a 1/24 XC Cobra coupe, and a couple of 1/18 Biante V8 supercars, and a Sunstar back to the future De-Lorean. Which isn't much compared to a LOT of people. Now I know for sure that I would never put a mass produced Hotwheels 1/64 XB anywhere near them, as it is not in the same league and for starters is not limited or numbered. To be fair I do have in there a very fine detailed 1/64 XYGTHO Falcon made by Road Ragers, simply because it is numbered and is of a level of detail far beyond any hotwheels of same size.

Sure it is good news that Hotwheels are putting out an XB, but I feel it's not much to write home about, or get excited about really.
Dragonforce

Postby lord humungus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:38 pm

"Sure it is good news that Hotwheels are putting out an XB, but I feel it's not much to write home about, or get excited about really."

and thus you've stated all you needed to in one sentance there. you were crapping on everyones fun or do i need to pull the last few replies as exibit a?

the point is you've said you peace i've said mine i agree to disagree with you if only because of my own experiences on my side of the pond. i have not had the same experience so i can't speak for you nore do i wish to speak for you. it is what it is i am excited and i don't choose to let you spoil that nore should anyone who's been look for a good to decent falcon xb.
lord humungus

Postby toecutter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Ive collected diecast cars for years, and you cant compare a 1/64 (hw and matchbox use flexible scales, remember the car has to fit in a plastic bubble/matchbox) to a 1/18 $200 plus collectible. You just cant logically compare the two.

However, you can appreciate the hotwheels for what it is. A nice little car. Some are great, others not so great. If you want accuracy, matchbox probably model cars better than Hotwheels, hw go more for caricatures of cars. Some they do nicely, others not. I have HW cars in my collection, i also have matchbox, dinky, corgi, majorette, and nameless asian manufacturers of some cars. I have a trabant that is so nicely detailed - yet i have no idea who made it - no manufacturer listed on it anywhere.

They are collectible though. Look at ebay and other places. Small cars can go for big money.

Some of the larger scale cars are just large. They are no better detailed than a 1/32 or smaller. I see some cars in dollar shops that are 1/18 and sell for around 20 bucks. They are made to a price point and arent super detailed. Compare them to a Biante of the same scale and you can see the difference. Some of the Ertl cars are big cars, but not finely detailed either. Ultimately if you like the car, then does it really matter ?
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby draknoir2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 am

I'm in for a baker's dozen!

At that price I can afford to customize and repaint [yellow]. :D
"Two days ago, I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me."
draknoir2

Postby Dragonforce » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 am

[quote="toecutter"]Ive collected diecast cars for years, and you cant compare a 1/64 (hw and matchbox use flexible scales, remember the car has to fit in a plastic bubble/matchbox) to a 1/18 $200 plus collectible. You just cant logically compare the two.

I wasn't actually comparing 1/64 scale cars to 1/18 cars. I just stated the obvious, in that they are not in the same league. I do however have the Road Ragers 1/64 xygtho falcon that I feel is closer to the big boys in my cabinet in terms of quality and detail (they have crammed as much detail as possible into the small size...something that hotwheels have never done) It even has chrome painted trim, a rear glass demister,correct dash/steering wheel/seats/console etc... It even has Bathurst Globe rims and real rubber tires not to mention an opening bonnet with engine detail and the "shaker" coming through the bonnet. It can be done, and I just wish someone like road ragers would do an XB as opposed to hotwheels who will do no justice to such a beautiful car.
Dragonforce

Postby lord humungus » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:32 pm

"and I just wish someone like road ragers would do an XB as opposed to hotwheels who will do no justice to such a beautiful car." i'll agree there are a few great car companies that do put more detail works into their same basic scale cars but you pay more. again i have some recent hotwheels like the 1965 batmobile that are really fantastic for the work they did. so i can't agree that hotwheels will fuck it up royaly. but again that's my opinion.
lord humungus

PreviousNext

Return to Models and Modelling