HARDEST , EASIEST, MOST FUN.

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:10 am

What is the HARDEST, EASIEST , most goddamn FUN and favourite MODEL KIT you've ever done?

My absolute all time favourites, not even cause they're from my favourite movies or anything, but just cause some were just plane fun. Have gotta be my -

PLANET X INTERCEPTOR from MM2. I had to customise 40% of the damn thing, all ya got was a perfect body, i'm talking perfect match to the movie. But i had to make the entire interior, - the package shelf in the back wit the 'cage' that sits behind MAX's head, all his boxes and sh*t to scale, the weapons on the inside of his door, every damn thing i could see in the movie.

KILLER KITS - HANNIBAL LECTOR (Garage Kit) just cause its the best damn looking replica of an actor i've ever seen, i tell ya it is ANTHONY HOPKINS in 1990, damn thing even has a bald patch at the back, - it's from the scene in 'LAMBS' where he clubs the cops to death.

SCREAMIN' PINHEAD with ALTAR OF SOULS, not only one of the hardest but one of the most funnest favourite models i've got, has PINHEAD arms out in a 'crucified' pose (From HELLRAISER 3.) having opened THE box, with chains and hooks shooting out of it into his skin - this was hard to do, man, but the result is unbelievable.

SIXTH SENSE - GAME OVER, this kit is called GAME OVER, why? well, it's got HUTSON, stuck in the floor, HICKS firinf away with his Pulse Rifle and a WARRIOR ALIWEN advancing fast, - a purely brilliant representation of the scene in ALIENS, and i don't know about you, but i've always favoured 'GARAGE KITS' they are made by FANS not companies, so they have perfect detail.

Finally in my list of absolute favourites - PHANTOM - UGLY MUDDERFUKKER, another GARAGE KIT, this time of the PREDFATOR in a perfect pose when he's just dropped his helmet in the lake and has his arms out ready to 'spar' with DUTCH, man i customised the perfect 'River Floor, fo him to stand in, and cause you had the choice of giving him his shoulder cannon and helmet, i dropped them right infromt of him, like in the movie, sank them in the mud (PUTTY).

EASIEST.

I'm talkin' dissapointingly easy, like you set up the whole week to do this thing, you know like with the old - SCREAMIN' KITS, or bloody HALCION KITS (who were later reproduced by TSUKUDA) those kits you had to make sure your week was free. - The ALIENS POWERLOADER and the 94' FRANKENSTEIN, kept me busy 7 nights each.

Firstly HORIZON's T - 1000, damn nice kit, as long as you've got a hairdryer its the most seamless of all the HORIZON kits i've seen, this thing was done in like a 17 hour marathon, thats with 'Glue time' too, looks brilliant, but like the ENDO SKELETON they made i wanted to make a career out of building this kit.

SCREAMIN' s - FEMALE CENOBITE from HELLRAISER, two days it took me, and if it wasn't for glue time and her elaborate wire 'neckbrace' it woulda been one day.

AMT ERTL's ROBOCOP TAURUS SHO. Police car, another two day job, the engine bay being the most time consuming part, the rest was a can of Flatt Black.

MEAN MACHINE from JUDGE DREDD, i damn well love this kit it looks MEAN, its a real good representation of the movie character, (and i'm the guy of guy who pauses the sh*t out of his DVD's before going by the paint schemes in the Instruction Booklets, and this model has every scar the movie had) 3 day's and that s only cause i made him a dirty old singlet like he has in the movie, cause the model comes topless.

Other memorable models for difficulty and or just plane cool, i've got are the DARKHORSE - PREDATOR 2 from 1994. the awesome ALIEN 3 HALCYON made in about 93' has the 'Dog' ALIEN running. any HELLRAISER kit by SCREAMIN' in particular DR CHANNARD, probably the biggest i have, won't fit into any fish tank i have, has to live in the garage boxed and foamed up till i have one big enough, he's to precious to let dust get to. Not sure who made it but i have a HENRIETTA from EVIL DEAD 2 kit, found it on EBAY, another one that just shows how closely GARAGE KITS stick to the movie.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:15 am

anyone?

Comeon, i knoe the 'DICTA's got a story or two.
rockatansky4073

Postby rockatansky4073 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:22 am

f**k ya, then.Image
rockatansky4073

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:30 pm

How rude!

(Just kidding)

I don't do a lot of models.

Mostly Godzilla related stuff when I do.

Gonna shortly be doing a matched pair of Javelin models.

One as My Javelin the way she sits and one the way I WANT it..

I have little experience with Cold Cast or Resin.

Got a Bootleg vinyl kit of Dark Horse's King Kong & that one's proved difficult to the point that it's been in box for two years (Darned thing's joints don't match up at ALL).

I also have a half finished reprint Rodan kit, an unopened King Ghidorah reprint kit, the Godzilla reprint kit and the HUGE original sculpt Godzilla kit partially finished. All made by Polar Lights.

(Pretty simple kits, really, I just have too many projects & it takes me forever to get back to stuff after I've put it down..)

Got one Bandai '54 Godzilla kit I'm really pleased with. Everyone who's seen it has given me a lot of compliments.

"How'd you get the texture to stand out like that?"

(just a charcoal grey base coat followed by a wash of flat black with a touch of brown then Dry-brush lighter grey over that..

"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby rockatansky4073 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:56 am

Is the DARKHORSE - KING KONG a Vinyl kit? if so, (sh*t even if it isn't) get yourself some MILIPUTTY, its ther best damn substance for filling in gaps in models joints, sh*t i've even made entire original things out of it, a few bases and hands for creatures and sh*t, that didn't come with hands etc.

It's actually called MILIPUT. (ask any place in your local vicintiy that sells MODELS or even solder D & D figures and they'll let you know where to get it)

the best type is the RED box, not the BLUE.

And if its just that the pieces are warped and don't match u[p cause of that, get a hair dryer and heat up the ends of the pieces that are warped, that will enable you to bend them into the right shape, if you can't get a hair dryer, really HOT water is just as good.

I know how you feel though, dude, i had a really cool KOTHOGA from the movie RELIC, sitting in my cupboard for months, that had become all warped after casting, and none of the bits matched up, then i read about the heating up trick, and heard of MILIPUT, and the model was finished in a Fortnite.
rockatansky4073

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:22 pm

Yeah, Rock.. It's a Vinyl.

The big problem with that one is it's a Bootleg.

he quality of such kits is usually pretty poor.

The vinyl shrunk considerably on one shoulder & even with heating, It won't fit over the "funnel" on the arm.

And the arm is the EASY bit. The join at the waist is WAY off.

It'd take a LOT of sculpting to fix that ape.

What I SHOULD do, is find the real kit and build that.. Image

"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:36 am

My Bob i made from a 70 Torino sports roof handmade the front nose it was a 'post'crash MM2/TRW BoB hard/fun

my silver/black Aussie fairlane cop car i made form a 1970 Ford Galaxie 500 hard/fun

My Aoshima BoB MM2 style very fun to build

My 1970 GTO i backhalved not fun very hard and ended up looking like sh*t

my 1/18 scale diecast Ertl 55 Chevy from the movie'Two Lane Blacktop' very fun/ not that hard to build
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:03 am

Thats funny FOX, i have a few 'SCREAMIN kits that were 'recasts', got cheap cause they didn't have the box's and instructions, and they were pretty fine, yeah alot of heating up and putty, but mostly to fill in cracks not to actually resize, thats tough dude.

BART - have you ever seen a model of a DODGE CHALLENGER? Aside from the MAD MAX's - NATURAL BORN KILLERS is my all time favourite movie, and i've always wanted to make a replica of the exact one MICKEY KNOX drove in it. It was an RT convertable.

It's just i cannot find one anywhere, not even one with a roof, figured i could cut the roof off.
rockatansky4073

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:38 am

Quote: Originally posted by rockatansky4073 on 27 March 2004

BART- have you ever seen a model of a DODGE CHALLENGER? Aside from the MAD MAX's - NATURAL BORN KILLERS is my all time favourite movie, and i've always wanted to make a replica of the exact one MICKEY KNOX drove in it. It was an RT convertable.

It's just i cannot find one anywhere, not even one with a roof, figured i could cut the roof off.

Yes Lindburg reissued a 74 Challenger kit a few years back and Monogram made one with both convertable and hardtop options,ebay is where you'll find one dude,But be careful with a challenger models made from a co. called Palmer as their kits sucked and were of a real sh*tty quality.
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:31 am

I'll definently take a look, i looked there a couple of years ago, only found Diecasts, never thought to look again.

I used to work at a MODEL/COMIC shop, so had access to all that sort of stuff, but never found CHALLENGERS then.

Thanks for the info though.
rockatansky4073

Next

Return to Models and Modelling