STEEL MONSTERS

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

STEEL MONSTERS

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:07 am

I know one of us braught this up some time last year, sh*t i think it was me.

But does anyone remember in about 1987, maybe '86. A TONKA toyline of vehicles that didn't market themselves on it but were so obviously based on ROAD WARRIOR it was unbelievable?

They were called STEEL MONSTERS - the tv add for them, had a jingle that went "If you survive, you'll drive Steeeeel moooonsterrs", screechy guitar 80's style.

And there was like 5 of them, The one i got (gone now obviously) was a big 4X4 with cannons and sh*t, there was also a GRADER, a mean arse HALF TRACK, a HUMMER looking thing, and one i can't think of, but they were given names like BLASTER. and sh*t, plus you got a man with it, all kitted up in leather and weaponry. The man that came with the GRADER even had a metal Hockey Mask. And with each vehicle you got a little mini comic, of your character doing something heroic, or Bad depending on the characters status obviously. and when you got all five of them, the comics made up one long story.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

STEEL MONSTERS

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:44 am

I seem to remember seeing those too. They either didn't last long, or I just ignored them because I was building models instead. It's gone now...faded into history back. There's so many rip offs of good things nowadays...Mad Mariner Beyond the Beaches, err, Waterworld...etc. But hey, I'm thinking of taking an old square-shaped Dodge Dakota and putting Mickeys on it with all of the tool trays...maybe the connestoga top too. Just something to go thrash in the backwoods during the weekend with. Besides, it would give my hillbilly neighbors something to be envious of...lol.
Bronze21

STEEL MONSTERS

Postby rockatansky4073 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:52 am

YeeeehaaaawwImage
rockatansky4073

STEEL MONSTERS

Postby Anklecranker » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:56 pm

Anklecranker

STEEL MONSTERS

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:17 am

f**kin A. thats them, though looks to be more than in my day. Theres some characters there that wern't there in 86'
rockatansky4073

STEEL MONSTERS

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:24 am

I had the chevy truck with the Blunderdome esq front cow catcher and the CJ5 Jeep with the machine guns poking through the front bumper,i wanted the halftrack sooo bad but i never had enough birthday money to get one when i was 10 aaah the 80s i remember the firday nite HBO movie when they said "COMING UP NEXT ,MEL GIBSON IN....THE ROAD WARRIOR"I was like ALLRIIIGHT even tho i've seen the movie 9 million times LOL
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Return to Models and Modelling