How hard is a resin kit to make

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Postby Dave D » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:25 am

Guy's,

I was in my local model shop the other week looking to buy another 1:18 scale classic Aussie race car (a JG XA if anyone was interested). Whilst looking around the guy who runs the shop who knows me quiet well now, brought out one of the Cavalier Interceptor kits. He had put one aside as soon as they came in as he knew I'd want one (again if anyone cares it's number 90 of 1000).

Now I've only ever made plastic kits (I got quiet good at them) before & the last time I made one of them was a few years ago now. How easy is it for me to stuff up the kit?????, there is a guy who advertises in the shop that he will make resin kits for you. I've seen his work & it's bloody good, should I just pay him to do it???

Dave.

Dave D

Postby Havoc » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:11 am

Heya, Dave,

Glad ta meet another Max modeler...

Resin kits take a lot more effort and skill to assemble than your average out of the box by the numbers plastic kit (such as Tamiya, Revel, AMT, etc.). The instructions often suck and you have to do a lot more engineering and do it your selfing to get your kit together.

Ya gotta use Cyanoacrylate (CA) glue exlusively. You often have to make some of your own parts. And the clean up phase is usually much more intense, involving cutting and razor sawing large resin pour plugs, which generate large amounts of dangerous resin dust which you DO NOT want to breath in.

But other than that, they're a barrel of laughs!!!

Seriously, you'll work a lot harder, but the results are worth it, dude! Take your time and keep your breather mask, and super glue, zip kicker, and debonder all handy with your other tools and you'll be fine...gotta start somewhere, right?

Let us know how it goes!

Aloha,

Johnny B.

"I Love the Smell of Resin in the Morning!!"
Havoc

Return to Models and Modelling