I need help with my "pipe dream"

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Postby mad_manx » Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:01 am

Does anyone have a good diagram of the exhaust system for the "Black on Black" Interceptor? I'm doing a couple of replicas in scale(2 different ones, actually), and it would help greatly. I've got aluminum tubing & a good bender, but no clue how to do it - Other than the "zoomies." If anyone has sketches, pics or anything they can e-mail, snail mail or fax, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not above reimbursing the sender for good info as well. TIA.
"Y'know - piece from here, p-piece from there....it just sorta happened, Max."

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
mad_manx

Postby Bronze21 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:57 pm

I know of 3 ways to do it...

1. It looks like on the movie, they ran straight exhaust back to the zoomies. The shot in RW/MM2 when he leaves the compound after saying goodbye, you can see the shot pretty clearly (doggy-eye view). I dont believe the zoomies are like the reverse header type that was on E-Bay from Germany....just a stainless tube with the 4 pipes out each side and the end welded closed (JC Whitney van type).

2. I've though about the 2000 Mustang Cobra "R", and the 70 AAR Cuda type as well. You have the headers, then the mufflers under the rear seat area that have the inlet and outlet on the front of the muffler. It comes in by the driveshaft, then makes a "U" turn out to the zoomies (JC Whitney van type). I personally don't like the u-turn idea.

3. Here's the way I'm thinking of for my Fairmont: Put headers off of the 429, collecting into a 2 1/2" X-pipe crossing over the driveshaft to equalize the pressure. Next, there would be 2 baloney tube/ inline flow-through mufflers, exiting to the zoomies after passing the spark ignitors just in front of the zoomies. It would look like a a X going out to a reverse Y pattern.

Just a few ideas for you...Cheers.
Bronze21

Postby mad_manx » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:09 am

Thanks for the input; I've gotta get some finish bodywork done on both models, then I'll start bending & fitting the pipes. I'll hopefully be able to share pics soon of one or the other.

"Y'know - piece from here, p-piece from there....it just sorta happened, Max."

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
mad_manx

Return to Models and Modelling