Resin Kit Virgin

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby XAMan » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:53 pm

OK ... over the years I've built a gazillion plastic model kits with varying degrees of success ... now I plunged into uncharted waters thanks to my sweet girlfriend just buying me a resin Interceptor kit from Ebay. I'm not sure where to begin.

The kit ... origin unknown ... has been started in that the body has been filled, sanded and primed however still needs some work. I need to know the following info

1. What type of filler is suitable?

2. What type of adhesive is best?

3. What do you use for screen glass?

4. My plan ... given that the kit did not come with wheels ... is to source say a Mustang kit for chasis/running gear/wheels and tyres ... is this a recommended path?

5. Are wheels and tyres available from some other source?

The kit came with a figure of Max ... after making any number of Historex / Tamia / Airfix figures in years gone by I can honestly say that this is the crudest casting I have ever seen ... I'd like to finish the kit diorama style incorprating the figure.

Any clues gratefully accepted.

Oh and now that I've seen the 'quality' of the standard IP's and have seen the pictures of Bronzes' IP's ... there is no comparison ... Bronze you bathe in a new light of respect!

XAMan (Pete)

'Lingerie ... remember lingerie ...'
XAMan

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby Bronze21 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:12 am

WOW! Thanks...

Well, let's get down to business, eh? I personally use "Black Max" Loctite 380 cyanoacrilate (superglue) for my filler and resin parts joiner. It has the consistancy of ABS plastic when cured and can easily be sanded. Only drawback...it's $18.00 (US) an ounce. Automotive red spot putty works too as a filler, if you don't want to go the hobbyist route.

I've used the 70 Torino Cobra kit's windscreen in my Monsters in Motion kit, and it worked fine. I've heard that most 70's muscle car windshields can be trimmed to fit, otherwise, use clear acetate.

I haven't found any BFG tires for the past few years now, so I used road racing tires of "proper" sizes and put the letters on via rub-ons. As far as the Sunraysia rims, the closest thing I've found here State-side, hehehe, is the Daisy Duke Jeep CJ kit. It's a 6-lug design, but that can be changed.

Questions: Did the figure come with 2 heads: one in a Goose-type helm, and the other without? Also, is the casting a pink color? If so, it's a Monsters in Motion kit.

As far as detail kits, I've used the Blue Max funnycar to get the blower and zoomies, the 70 Torino cobra kit for the engine, running gear and photo-etched parts, and the 69 Shelby kit for some of the other little bits. I don't know what kits are available "Down Under," but I hope this has helped you out...

Don't worry, you'll be getting other opinions soon...

Cheers.
Bronze21

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:07 am

Hey i knew that model, it was cool, but prett scarce now. the models i built of the INTERCEPTOR were made by PLANET X, and they provided everything, you needed.

The guy who actually made the models was really cool, he called me personally one day, cause i sent him photos of his models i'd completed , plus a letter of praise. at that time i was about to start a custom model of the RED XA from MAD MAX 2, and i needed sunraysia mags for it (the same mags the INTERCEPTOR had) and obviously he'd made them for the interceptor models, so i asked him if i could buy some spare mags off him, and he said , its cool dude, i'll just send you some for free, along with some photo's of a brand new YELLOW INTERCEPTOR he'd just made and one of HUMUNGUS he'd also had for sale.

now i'm not sure if he's still around, but you could try him , offer to buy some spare wheels ideal for 25th scale INTERCEPTOR model, and also ask him if he can spare some spare screens for your windows too, cause he provided them also.

heres his name and address PHIL WINSLAPE

44 BADSLOW ROAD, HASTINGS, EAST SUSSEX, TN342EY

UNITED KINGDOM.

give it a try, if you can't find a good alternative ofcourse.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby XAMan » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:30 pm

Thanks guys ...

The kit is a putty / beige colour. The included figure has only one head ... no helmet ... and the arms are seperate castings one holding a shotgun.

I have obtained from ebay a '69 mustang kit which I hope will provide chasis and running gear. The interior casting from the kit (floor and seats) is quite good however the seats are way too far forward so I'm hoping to use the mustang bits.

I will send a letter to the chap in England re the wheels.

I really appreciate the tips ... it's all a little daunting!

I am also working on ... slowly ... a 1/24 model of Papagallo's vehicle. I have used a kit of a Toyota Hilux surf for the chasis and have sourced the two V8s from a twin dragster kit I had lying around ... bought ages ago because one of the cars has a blower with a Scott hat. For the body I have some thin 'checkerpate' embossed card ... the grill original has so far proven impossible to replicate.

Does anyone know whether the second ... rear mounted ... V8 is reversed intrhe chasis or wheter it is just the blower scoop that is reversed?

I also picked up some 'driver' figures including a bikini clad gal ... which will provide Papagallo and a warrior woman ... after much modification ... for my diorama.

Thanks again.
XAMan (Pete)

XAMan

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:02 pm

Dude! you just gotta post that PAPAGALLO LONE WOLF MACHINE up when its done.
rockatansky4073

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:54 pm

I'd think having the rear engine facing backwards like the Countach Lambo would be ideal. That way you don't have to go through a transaxle or 2 transfer cases to get the power to the ground. Besides, there isn't that much room behind the engine for a standard tranny on the Wolf.

Front engine, tranny, short driveshaft, transfer case, short driveshaft, tranny (rev.), engine (rev.).

The 70 Torino kit is closer to the Falcon than the Mustang. I know one resin kit used the 69 Shelby but you need to do a lot of modifying to get it accurately proportional. The Torino was 18 inches longer than the Falcon, as well as the wheelbase being 6 inches longer. So, that being said, I sectioned the Torino's chassis right in front of the muffler cutout by 4mm. and that gave me the correct wheelbase length. The Shelby is still a good donor car for other detail bits. Granted, you're really dictated by the resin body for wheelbase and track width, so just have fun with it.

"Often the destination is not important, but rather the adventure within the journey." - Unknown.

P.S.: I heard that there is going to be a limited run of the XC Cobra coming out I believe this summer in Australia. It was going for something like $70.00 (AU). I'll look into it some more for us Yanks...

Mitch...you still alive bud? Haven't seen you 'round lately...
Bronze21

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:46 am

XA MAN, how'd you go with PLANET X, any word yet?
rockatansky4073

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby XAMan » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:12 am

I have written to him via snail mail so it's wait and see I guess.

I've done a little more on the Lone Wolf vehicle and will post a opic when the chasis is finished. I am after some wheels for it at the moment as it has dualies on the rear and my hilux surf kit only has 5 wheels ... pity as I bought the kit on a sale in Chinatown and there were a few more kits at only $5.95 each ... who'd have know that I'd need a second kit! Damn.

XAMan (Pete)

XAMan

Resin Kit Virgin

Postby rockatansky4073 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:17 am

any word yet?
rockatansky4073

Return to Models and Modelling