My Mad AMC AMX Model

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby batmax5 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:50 pm

I looked at Detail Master's web site and tried to find ANYTHING, but their web site looks like it was made by someone's 12 year old nephew, and I couldn't find anything. I sent them an e-mail asking about air cleaners and mufflers. I also told them they might want to have their web site done over. We'll see if they respond to me.

I made a pretty cool open-element air cleaner out of an air cleaner lid and the back half of a wheel.

Batmax.
"If it's all the same to you...I'll drive that tanker."
Bigger pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim5bass/
batmax5

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:06 pm

Parts for the Mack tanker...

Mack 600R conventional. AMT/ERTL. Kit/stock number - 6129. Full-sized cab, LHD, 6-spoke "Dayton" wheels, square diamond-plate tanks. Out of production re-release.

Kenworth T900 "Australia" conventional. Revell. Kit/stock number - 07549. Bullbars, dual air cleaners, 6-spoke Daytons, detailed clearance lights, high-grade vinyl tires, dual chrome stacks. In production, $56 (US).

Freuhauf Texaco Tanker Trailer. AMT/ERTL. Kit/stock number - 30063. It's a tanker with complete plumbing, full frame. In production, $30 (US). Cons: the tank is round-will have to remove 1/2 inch from bottom of each half, and only two axles. Recommendation; buy the milk tank trailer and steal the triple axle combo and use the extra tires from the Mack.

Any questions...you talk to me...lol.

Bronze21

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby Interdictor » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:09 pm

Batmax, I just went to Detail Master's site, and yes, it's confusing. But if you take a little time, you can find what you're looking for. They don't have picture of everything, but I can assure you that dispite the ineptness of the web design, their products are first rate. here is a rundown of some of the things i found with their stock/part #.

DM 3250 : 8" Air Cleaner $6.50

DM 3305 : Glasspacks (2) $9.95

DM 3310 : Traditional Mufflers (2) $9.95

DM 3070 : Billet air cleaner $10.95

I have always gotten my stuff at my hobby shop, and don't know about their online business, but they offer a cataloge as well. Give 'em another try.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby Interdictor » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:28 pm

Without making you search through all the pics, (most of which are horribly out of focus, sorry) if you want to see Detail master stuff on my models go to : File Area, Interdictors pics, I want one.mpg for a good shot of their distributor kit, and mid 70's 6cyl.mpg for a shot of an air cleaner. (note: this is a small, dual carb air cleaner, not a fullsize one like you -i think- want.) I really can't emphasize enough how much I love their Distributor kits!!! I have seen their glasspack set in person, and it too looks first rate.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby batmax5 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:33 am

Interdictor,

I just looked at your pics in the files section. WOW ! The level of detail is incredible. Lots of great work!

I went to the hobby shop, but no Tamiya Land Cruiser. Is it s Toyota Land Cruiser or some kind of military vehicle?

They had some Detail Master stuff, but $10 is too much for an air cleaner. I am going to have to stick with making stuff from scraps in the parts bin. So nothing will be an exact replica of anything, not even the model I am building of my own car.

I have 3 engines just about ready to go. Now I have to start working on some bodies. Sitting on my desk right now (unbuilt) are: 62 Chevy Bel Air, 64 Pontiac GTO, 66 Buick Skylark, 70 Camaro, 70 Monte Carlo, and a 77 Monte Carlo.

Jeez. I didn't know I had that many. Decisions, Decisions.

Batmax
batmax5

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby Bronze21 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:21 am

Batmax: You sound like me dude. Right now my desk looks like a cross between a Ford assembly plant and a Torino/Plymouth GTX boneyard. There's a 1:18 Torino Cobra diecast I'm modifying into the BoB (possibly R/C), as well as three 1:24 Torinos. There's close to thirty XBGT instrument panels lined up in a/b/c-quality rows for shipping to some of you guys, and the whole Mack tanker is sprawled out over the rest.
Bronze21

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby Interdictor » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:35 pm

Batmax: Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, it's a stock toyota. They are out of production, but it was worth a try. Glad you found some DM stuff, even if it is pricey. You might also check out Parts by Parks. Also about $10 a piece, but you never know. Is that '77 Monte the snap together? I looked at it, but wasn't prepared to do all the detail work it required (just yet anyway.)

Bronze21: Give me an e-mail (in my profile) and I'll reply with my snail mail. I'd like to get a couple of those pieces. I have a guy at a local hobby shop who is going to be at conventions for the next 5 weekends, and he is on the lookout for that Mack for me. (and those Toyotas) Fingers crossed, Hell find one. Apparently Mack wants way too much money for the liscencing fees, and that is why there are no Macks in production now. Everyone is just sitting on their molds.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

My Mad AMC AMX Model

Postby batmax5 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:09 am

Bronxe21, I can't wait to see your 1:18 scale Interceptor. I have quite a collection of 1:18 scale cars, and I am running out of room, but I would be glad to make room for an Interceptor.

Interdictor, Yes, the 77 Monte is a snap together low-rider. The suspension is adjustable though which works out well. I will have it sitting pretty high with big wheels and tires. The hood doesn't open, and I am not going to try to make it open, so that helps in my "not having enough engines to go around" problem.

I painted the bodies and frames of the 77 Monte, 70 Monte, 66 Skylark and 64 GTO today. Now I think I have to pick one engine/body set-up and actually put it together.

Batmax
batmax5

Previous

Return to Models and Modelling