Interceptor Scratchbash (In Progress)

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Interceptor Scratchbash (In Progress)

Postby Rana » Tue May 30, 2017 2:47 pm

I've gotten a lot of inspiration from these forums as I've started working on this project, so I wanted to post my in-progress Interceptor for you guys to check out! I've never built a model or anything like it before so this has definitely been a learning experience.

First, I actually printed & assembled a paper version. I wanted to get a feel for the car's shape in 3D, plus it seemed like a neat thing to play with. The paper model I got from here.
(I lightened the print on this to save ink, and shrunk it to fit my normal household printer. Done full-size it should be about 1:24 scale I think)

For the actual plastic model I ended up using a '68 Shelby for the base, in lovely lime green.

My first task was hacking off the trunk, and then remaking the rear slope using the only polystyrene I could find in the house, a plastic coathanger!

The nose was also built from the same coathanger.

Of course modeling putty was used to smooth out the transitions of everything. The spoiler is actually the original nose, the curve was just perfect to fit against the roof.

A layer of primer helps bring everything together. No trunk spoiler because I'm more-or-less basing this off the Fury Road version, and also because it was too fiddly to manage.

Now I'm working on the insides... I didn't like the original dashboard and I wanted the car to be right-hand drive, so I constructed a new dash from yet another coathanger. The rollbar is just leftover sprue, heated up with a candle to bend.

That's about as far as I've gotten so far! The engine & chassis are assembled, waiting to be attached. The blower still needs to be made (from yet another coathanger), as do the exhaust pipes and gas tank. The trunk was actually more of a challenge to figure out than I would have expected, but I think I've gotten it together now. Currently I'm painting up the insides, and trying to decide how much junk to add...

For extra fun I also bought a cheap little toy car, and gave it a makeover with a box-cutter and some sculpy to resemble the MM1 Interceptor:
Rana

Re: Interceptor Scratchbash (In Progress)

Postby aussie muscle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:48 am

Hats off for trying this. Keep at it and you'll be able to pull off your own max car.
i did the same thing when starting out modding (i used a 71 mustang before buying more expensive models).
aussie muscle

Re: Interceptor Scratchbash (In Progress)

Postby Rana » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:59 pm

A belated thanks! It's definitely been a learning experience, but a pretty fun one. I think I'd like to get a real kit at some point, this "gets the point across" but it's obviously far from being accurate.

Progress has been slow but I've gotten the majority of the work done now, I think...

Finished the engine assembly (sans blower), the trunk, & weathered up the interior:

And have painted the exterior:

I've made the blower out of sculpy, as well as the gas tank. I made tailpipes out of leftover mold sprue but I'm waiting to put them on until the painting is done since they'll just get in the way. Still working on stuff to put in the interior, I've made a few boxes, a jerrycan, some bundles of fabric... I had a little bag of miniature tools that would be perfect for this but of course I can't find them.

At long last I started painting on the rust and dust today, but I'm not sure I like how it's coming out so far:

Altogether too much rust I think, but toning it down without making it look sloppy is going to be a challenge...
Rana

Return to Models and Modelling