Page 1 of 1

MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:20 am
by BOB Interceptor
Hi all

Like many on here I've been aspiring to owning a 1:18 scale BoB Interceptor from the first Mad Max movie, just as it left the MFP workshop.

I've got two AutoArt Interceptors (both the upgraded models with metal supercharger, removable fascia and other smaller changes) one standard version and one muddy version. The muddy version is much truer to the movies as the standard one is in my mind wrong in many ways (although its a beautiful model).

I was lucky enough to find the dog and dog food box and cans for sale on ebay (for some reason the upgraded models don't come with these essential accessories) and picked up a 1:18 scale Max figurine.

Anyway, I've been looking at the conversion kits for a while but the monsters in motion kit mentioned in other threads on here has been discontinued. Frm what I can see there are two kits still being produced, a resin one from japan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-18-Transfor ... xy4YdTQR23

and a fully painted and part assembled metal and plastic kit from Spain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-18-MAD-MAX- ... SwnDxUjs2F

I decided on the metal and plastic kit from Joaquin in Spain. Its not cheap, but it is very high quality and Joaquin was a pleasure to deal with, sending lots of pictures and instruction on how to carry out the conversion.

I'm a reasonably competent modeller (or at least I used to be!) and it look relatively straight forward.

Having checked the availability (or lack of) Autoart interceptors available, and looking at the prices being commanded for new ones, I was reluctant to pull one of mine apart for the conversion, however. And, well, I recon it will be nice to have one of each - Workshop fresh, between MM1 and MM2 and the full on MM2 weathered interceptor.

So out came the credit card and I'm waiting on delivery of Interceptor no 3, which I'll convert once it arrives.

I see that a few people on here have either started a conversion or with way more skill than I have, built their own from scratch. Sadly, none of those threads show the finished article so it would be good to hear from anyone who's done it already.

I'll try and update this thread with pictures once BoB no 3 arrives and the strip down and re build starts.

Cheers

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:30 pm
by Wozza
Hi, I did one back in 2008.
I do have some photos of the build if you like to see them, most of the work was moulding in the top spoiler
which I did on the MM 2 interceptor as well. One note that the super charger does sit a little lower on the MM 1 interceptor too.

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:19 pm
by BOB Interceptor
Wozza wrote:Hi, I did one back in 2008.
I do have some photos of the build if you like to see them, most of the work was moulding in the top spoiler
which I did on the MM 2 interceptor as well. One note that the super charger does sit a little lower on the MM 1 interceptor too.


Hi Mate

Photos of your build would be great, cheers. And thanks for the tip on the s/c.

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:08 am
by Wozza
Here are some photos of the build, I did not think of taking photos of all the parts at the time...

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:15 am
by Wozza
Some more photos, I'll send more tomorrow night.

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:17 am
by Wozza
Some more photos...

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:37 am
by BOB Interceptor
Brilliant - many thanks

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:49 am
by BOB Interceptor
So

Few hours last night on disassembly/assembly and got a lot done.

Here's the two together

Image

Image

Still a work in progress as I need to:

1) Swap out the rear wheels for the correct original style

2) Find/make a smaller blue light as the kit supplied one is too big

3) Swap out the door cards (couldn't get them off - will need to take the doors off)

4) Either remodel the boot lid or try and locate a metal one from someone breaking an Autoart falcon as the kit supplied one only fits with the hinges removed (so its just sitting in place at the moment)

5)Trim and paint the zoomies matt black and fit the pipe ends

6) fit something behind the lower intake on the nose cone as its open to space at the moment

7) Source some waterslide decals as the kit supplied ones are not great.

Overall though I'm very pleased with the kit. Just need to build a diorama now!

Will get some better pictures up once its finished

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:24 pm
by scag66
Great job on the conversion Wozza.

That Spanish kit looks incredible BOB Interceptor, eager to hear what you think about it and what level of expertise is needed to do the job.

Re: MM1 AutoArt BoB conversion project

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm
by Wozza
Thanks scag66, I can't wait to see BOB Interceptor's model when it's finished.