Replica Interceptor:Info from an American mechanic

Like the name says...

Re: Replica Interceptor:Info from an American mechanic

Postby steve66 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:13 am

the armourer wrote:
zykotec wrote:Here's a quick photochop of a 73 Charger done up as a Pursuit special. I was lucky and found picture of a black car with black wheels, so I've only added the spoilers and sidepipes, arches and and half***ed supercharger. The front end is cut just enough for the cars total length to be unchanged when the Concorde front is added. (The bumper sits just where the original bumper would. )
Hop it is on some help :) I think it looks a lot better than many other cars I've tried to 'Max' in photoshop before.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That looks really cool. And the '73-'74 cars can still be had very reasonably. I understand that the kits to rework the rubber sub-frame isolators are available again that will eliminate the handling problems. Plenty of room for a big block.

Sweet job Zykotec.It looks just as bad assed as I figured it would.Just verifies that it was and still is my second choice as a project base.I could call it the MFP American Interceptor.Thanks again,man---very cool.
steve66

Postby steve66 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:26 am

Thanks Zykotec...the Charger looks awesome.Makes me wish I still owned my old '73 440 powered Charger---it would have made a helluva Interceptor.
And yes,Big Bopper Bart,I know I screwed up on the Gremlin thing---in my following post after I wrote "mid '70's Gremlin",I admitted that I meant "Hornet".
steve66

Postby Talen Raith » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:09 pm

That charger looks great! I wonder if you could do the same treatment on a RoadRunner/Satellite from the same era?
Talen Raith

Postby toecutter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 am

KMN
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby zykotec » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:22 am

Talen Raith wrote:That charger looks great! I wonder if you could do the same treatment on a RoadRunner/Satellite from the same era?

To be honest I don't see the point, because with all the Mad Max parts added, (especially front end and arch extensions) the only difference will be the profile of the rear quarter panel and the rear bumper. Everything else is mostly the same. So it will look like the photo manipulation of the Charger. As in awesome, but not correct enough for the ones who knows what the real car is... :)
zykotec

Postby MFP1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:20 pm

steve66 wrote:Here in the U.S.,an average Joe being able to lay hands on a stock Falcon is almost impossible;let alone getting the correct custom pieces for an accurate replica.

I have to Whole Heartedly dissagree with this statement. It is the same thing I (an average Joe) thought until I found this forum more than a Decade ago. Through it I found Mad Max Cars (who had already been improting cars for many years) and realized I would not have to figure out how to aquire a Falcon myself, as there was reasonably priced professional help. Since then they have added all of the needed parts to build a top tier replica, and several other companies have poped up doing the same things.

Keeping that in mind, the extra cost of obtaining a correct Falcon is well worth it, considering all the extra time and effort involved in attempting to make a USA based car look like a Falcon.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby steve66 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Maybe my term "Average Joe" needs to be explained.I have researched alot of different venues,including links from this site,and on my income,which is less than $50,000 p/year,U.S.,everything I have found pertaining to a real Falcon is way outside of my range.I started this thread for those of us who have a shoestring budget to work with,to exchange ideas and concepts on how to build a passable version of the movie car using vehicles and parts common and inexpensive to people here in the U.S.For instance,when I do eventually find a '70 or '71 Torino,I plan on modifying a '83-'87 Monte Carlo SS nose to replicate the custom unit on the movie car.I believe this nose piece is similar enough to make a nice budget minded version if modified correctly,and should fit the width of the Torino pretty well.If you can afford the real thing,I say go for it,but for folks like me,who just don't have that kind of cash,there are options.
steve66

Postby ANGELofFEAR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 pm

hey guys, i had many years look for make a other car to a interceptor , also i had a amc matador , but you can say what you want, only the real interceptor has been a falcon. ;) better waiting an looking for a real one. so long tom
ANGELofFEAR

Postby Talen Raith » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 pm

ANGELofFEAR wrote:hey guys, i had many years look for make a other car to a interceptor , also i had a amc matador , but you can say what you want, only the real interceptor has been a falcon. ;) better waiting an looking for a real one. so long tom

Technically you are correct, Both of the Interceptors in Mad Max were in fact Falcons (they were both yellow). If you look at the cars pictured throughout this thread, however, you might notice that the cars being discussed and depicted are Pursuit Specials. In the movie one of the Pursuit Specials shown was a Falcon the other was a Monaro, which suggusts that the MFP was using what they could get, and were not tied to a specific make or model. I sat that if it fits the theme and feel of the setting, a tribute PS, Interceptor, or Pursuit cruiser is cool, no matter what, or where it started its life.

The key word here is Tribute A tribute car is not a replica so there is more flexibility for the builder of a Tribute car vs. a Replica which needs be an exact reproduction of the original.
Talen Raith

Postby zykotec » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:47 am

Talen Raith wrote:
ANGELofFEAR wrote:hey guys, i had many years look for make a other car to a interceptor , also i had a amc matador , but you can say what you want, only the real interceptor has been a falcon. ;) better waiting an looking for a real one. so long tom

Technically you are correct, Both of the Interceptors in Mad Max were in fact Falcons (they were both yellow). If you look at the cars pictured throughout this thread, however, you might notice that the cars being discussed and depicted are Pursuit Specials. In the movie one of the Pursuit Specials shown was a Falcon the other was a Monaro, which suggusts that the MFP was using what they could get, and were not tied to a specific make or model. I sat that if it fits the theme and feel of the setting, a tribute PS, Interceptor, or Pursuit cruiser is cool, no matter what, or where it started its life.

The key word here is Tribute A tribute car is not a replica so there is more flexibility for the builder of a Tribute car vs. a Replica which needs be an exact reproduction of the original.

Exactly.
And one thing that bothers me, I know people want to make an exact replica, but in the film it is depicted as a real supercharged car, why does everyone make fake superchargers? Even if it's more prop-correct, it isn't really movie-correct?
zykotec

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars