Hello Everyone!

Like the name says...

Hello Everyone!

Postby 17 Night Rider 17 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Hello to any and all reading this, I have been a long time lurker on these forums but never joined because I could never fully commit (due to financial restraints) on beginning the process on building an interceptor replica. I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing such nice people that share a common passion for the coolest car I have ever known.

I am looking to build an interceptor close to the look of the first movie (no tanks), I want a car that looks the part, that has the blower with switch, full body mods, the zoomies etc. but I also want to eventually update the electronics, brakes, suspension etc and possibly engine. I am interested in hearing your opinions, and suggestions, on a few of my thoughts/questions. I will try to keep it simple to start. And thanks for any help in advance

- I am leaning towards using a 71-73 Mustang Mach 1 as a base car for the following reasons. I assume it may be easier to locate a car due to my location in the states. I also strongly prefer left hand drive cars and love the car as is. My favorite car was my high school cruiser which I should not have sold but needed to at the time, which was a cherry 91 Ford mustang GT 5.0 5 spd so i have a love for stangs.

1. Given that It would take a little more doing and not be 100% movie correct is this car a Usable/suitable base car to build an interceptor? I would like to get or recreate a falcon tail (just the superficial part that houses taillights etc.) as I like the distinctive look All that said would this car work?

2. If So do you agree that it would be easier to find than a falcon xb or close falcon version, seeing that I live in the US?

3. Also which year of the three mustangs would be most ideal, what are some drawbacks, If any, of said model years. for example engine differences, body style changes.

4. Would I be better off looking for a clean, well maintained/running vehicle that obviously would cost quite a bit more to secure, or should I look for more of a project car platform where the importance is solely on frame/ panels and overall solidness of base car.

5. Are you still reading this? If so thanks a bunch and any help is appreciated.

I plan on securing a car in the next 18 months and live Near Boston Mass. I am an intelligent fast learner and hard worker but as you can see from some of the above descriptions Auto mechanic is something I am not. I have some friends who will be helping me with the mechanical and I plan on doing most of the bodywork/gruntwork in a semi learn as I go (with some guidance) process (I will practice basics on a super cheap project before touching the interceptor.) So the one thing I have is passion and time, I plan on working towards "completing" what I know will be an ongoing process over the next 5-10 years. I am a happy father and husband and this will be my toy and I look forward to many nights/sunday afternoons working/learning how, I've given up my stang, I sold my motorbike, i even sold my dirtbike so PLEASE GUYS help me build an Interceptor !!

Thanks again
17 Night Rider 17

Re: Hello Everyone!

Postby MFP1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! I will take a stab at providing what little advice I have. Coming from the prospective of a builder who was initially going to build an interceptor, but found myself doing something quite different, and being VERY glad I did (Red XA Bat)........ You might want to do a little soul searching to decide what you will be happiest with when you are completely done.

While I have seen some very cool 'tribute' type cars built with 71 Torino sportsroof, 71 mustang Fastback, 72 AMX and several other USA models.....In my honest opinion, for all the work and expense involved in restoring a 40+ year old vehicle such as a 71-73 mustang, and all the custom work that goes into a replica movie car such as the Interceptor, you might as well start with the correct base car even if it means spending a little bit more in the beginning. That is unless you prefer to make a tribute car based on another model, and particularly want to build it that way. If that is the case, do what you will be satisfied with, no mater what anyone else might say.

If what you really want is a movie correct replica, there are actually several companies that take all the hassle out of the process of importing a Falcon. The oldest and most prolific importer in the USA is http://www.madmaxcars.com and they also make some of the best parts available for building your conversion (weather you use a Falcon or a Mustang). There is even a few Falcons for sale in the USA right now on their classified section here:
http://www.madmaxcars.com/products/prod ... sified_Ads

In addition to all that there is an extensive page with details and contact info for other builders on this very website, you can find that here:
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-rep ... index.html
and the applicable portion of the links page here:
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-lin ... 20Builders

Hope that helps. Good luck!
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby rustycarr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:04 am

I was in the same boat that you are, especially being a father it can be tough. I looked for Ford Falcons for a year, and the only thing close was a shell with no motor and trans for 12-15k plus i wanted to do MM2 with tanks so cutting up a good Falcon didnt sit to well , anyways i looked at Mustangs,Mavericks,dodge demons,chevelles, even a capri, the closest i could come was either an AMX or Javelin. I found an old Javelin and havent looked back. I know its not a falcon but its fun..
here is a video of a guy on youtube that made a MM car out of a Capri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-5AP3hmVlA

And Randy built one out of a Torino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgzRjLoHYVI

do what you can afford, the mustang mach one look a bit long in the nose, but if thats what you like go for it its your car , good luck!!
Last edited by rustycarr on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
V8
rustycarr

Postby 17 Night Rider 17 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 am

Hey guys, Thanks for the support and the rapid responses, I really really appreciate you taking the time to lend your thoughts and opinions. I would like to hear more. The two above responses have been very helpful and I am interested to see what others may think on my original post. One of the main reasons to lean towards an american car like a stang torino or javelin is of course the left hand drive but also because I figured it would be much easier to secure a solid base car or possibly a semi creampuff as opposed to locating a falcon which seem to be much more ravenously picked through with more or less just shells left. What are some thoughts on this and also I thought I remembered seeing someone else looking to utilize a mach 1 as a base car.

So again thank you and keep it coming I am interested to hear thoughts on how good a car a mach 1 could make, as well as if it would be easier/more realistic to choose a javelin or torino. I really like the Mach1 base and though I am not dead set on it I am interested to see what others think would be reasons to use or not to use it as a car.

Thanks so much, sometimes I can't sleep at night thinkin about this damn car, It took almost ten years of this constant thought for me to cave in and commit, but I am glad I have chosen to come to you guys for help.

Also Any pics of your Javelin as well as others cars no matter the base I would love to see.
17 Night Rider 17

Postby rustycarr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:20 pm

You can see pics of my Javelin project in this same forum just scroll down. If you really like the mustang go for it. google some pics of the mach one in flat black and see if thats what you want. happy hunting.

here is a pic of a Mach one Interceptor.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeI ... =303476080
V8
rustycarr

Postby Talen Raith » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Wow, you just missed an XB Sedan on E-bay just last week (in your neck of the woods no less), it didn't sell so keep your eyes peeled it might pop back up again! Anyway, as I said on your other thread I think a Mach Ican make an exellent Tribute to the Pursuit Special. Just do it as a Mustang stay true to the theme and don't kill yourself trying to make it look like what it's not.

Here is the Item number for that XB on Ebay, maybe you can work it out with the seller? Ebay Item 270827399796 Somebody around here needs to grab this, it's just crying for a Yellow paintjob and some trouble bubbles on the lid!
Talen Raith

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars