Mad Max Inspired GMH VL Build.

Like the name says...

Mad Max Inspired GMH VL Build.

Postby Matt. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I may as well join and introduce myself...

Name's Matt, I'm 21 and from the outer South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. (Interests etc on my profile)...

Firstly for all International members that may not be familiar with a VL - It's a late 80's Holden (GMH) Commodore.

After this VL (my old daily driver) got put off the road, I had the original plan to build it into a showcar... Stripping it back I decided this was pointless
as it needed way more work than I had first thought, that and the fact that I'm more into 50's/ 60's cars anyway - it'd be a waste of money.

So a new plan - A Mad Max inspired build, I've always wanted to build something like this, and being that I have a car spare to now do it with
I thought it would make the perfect subject...

The car still just has the factory 3 litre engine (I'm not sure if it still runs as its sat for about 6 months and I've slowly scavenged parts off of it...
But I'll get it going again when I need to).

I don't plan on going down the usual 'inspired' build path with polystyrene and fiberglass turrets and weaponry attached, but just keep it simple
and something that could be built using bits and pieces found in an apocalyptic landscape.

Colour will be 'spray can special' gloss black (With maybe a small MFP logo on either side)
I've left lowered springs in the front but replaced the rear ones with standard height springs - for that 70's 'raked' look.
I won't be putting the original rear bumper bar back on or the exterior doortrims (crappy plastic),
I may use the original tail lights though, I'm not sure at this stage...

Wheels are currently crappy 14" factory ones, I did plan on bolting the rear ones on backwards, however this didn't work (Wheel studs too short)
So I'm looking for some Sunraysia (Or similar) rims for the rear with a Commodore stud pattern, or I may change the axle to a HQ one (If possible)
to fit 70's style rims.

The interior will be very minimal - I don't have an exact idea for it yet but pretty much just whatever I can throw together
from decent looking bits and pieces that I find at wrecking yards. I'll probably take some inspiration from the original MM Interceptor,
Maybe just a drivers seat/ drivers door trim, dash top only and something in the centre to hide wiring
and paint all the visable interior metal black (Is there any other colour? :lol: )

... Oh and by the way - No, I don't plan on getting it road registered.

For those who arn't sure what a VL Commodore does look like in it's original form, this is my other VL - It gives a good idea...

You guys might recognize this road... :)

I'll keep you all posted on the build and try and keep this thread as up to date as I can.

I'm hoping to get it finished well before the eventual premiere of Fury Road, (still a long time off, I know) usually the local drive-in has theme nights for
things like that, so if there's a drive-in theme night for the premiere - It'll be there.

- Matt.
Matt.

Re: Mad Max Inspired GMH VL Build.

Postby mad dan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 am

keep your eyes open at wreckers for wheels. hq pattern sunrasier style were common . hq stud pattern is about 1mm different and will fit but when you tighten the wheel nuts the studs will bend slightly.

Dan
...sorta slow motion. he leaves the seat, goes through the windscreen, headfirst straight into the tree...right. and then, bounces back through the windscreen. by the time we got to him.. he was just sittin there trying to scream with his face ripped off......whats the matter?
mad dan

Postby ziggy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Welcome aboard. What a perfect project to use that car for. Leave plenty of rust showing. Canned spray paint would be used up quickly after the Apocalypse and sun bleached, rusty primer
will be the new black.
"The Toecutter....he knows who I am"!!!
ziggy

Postby BlownV8 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey welcome to the forums.
I'm from S/E Vic too! :)

Matt black could be the way to go.

Keep us up to date with progress pix!
Fuel injected suicide machine.
BlownV8

Postby Matt. » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks guys,

Mad Dan; Thanks for that, I didn't realize it was only 1 mm difference, if that's the case I might just drill out the holes a little bit prior to fitting them.
My old man has a HQ so I might draw up a stud-pattern stencil using of one of his wheels and work out what I can do.

Ziggy; I did consider that, what I'm going to do is paint it once and then do no touch ups, just let it age.

BlownV8; I noticed you're from Carrum Downs, I'm in Skye. The car was temporarily Matt Black when it was last on the road, but I had it in an 'old-school'
style, red wheels, pinstriping etc.

I should be painting it on Friday afternoon :)
Matt.

Postby Matt. » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:49 am

Well I started to paint it and then the rain set in, which caused runs in the wet parts of the paint.
Not all bad though, it kind of adds to the effect (acid rain washed sort of look, if you will). By the time the rain stopped
it had become dark so I'll finish painting at some point over the weekend, here's a quick photo just for an update...

(Yes, that is electrical tape across the lights).

I'll also be leaving the lower part of the front bumper bar off, and attaching some old mesh or chicken wire from under the headlights
to the chassis, to 'protect' the lower part of the radiator and thermo fan.
That's all for now.
Matt.

Postby aussie muscle » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 pm

maybe this will keep you motivated.
aussie muscle

Postby Matt. » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Thankyou aussie muscle. Funny, I did consider giving it an MFP paint job... I may still consider it as I've taken my interest off the paint for the minute, just to get body parts/ panels how I want them. I found that a VB/VC Commodore rear bumper bolts straight on and so that is what' I've done (Better than the crap factory plastic rear bar).
Matt.

Postby MrSpeed » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:42 am

Matt. wrote:Well I started to paint it and then the rain set in, which caused runs in the wet parts of the paint.
Not all bad though, it kind of adds to the effect (acid rain washed sort of look, if you will). By the time the rain stopped
it had become dark so I'll finish painting at some point over the weekend, here's a quick photo just for an update...

(Yes, that is electrical tape across the lights).

I'll also be leaving the lower part of the front bumper bar off, and attaching some old mesh or chicken wire from under the headlights
to the chassis, to 'protect' the lower part of the radiator and thermo fan.
That's all for now.

The next time your spraying grab yourself a stand up fan & a handfull of red dust,perfect for the wasteland effect.
The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel, it'll take you ten minutes to hack through it with this, now if your lucky ? you can hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go !
MrSpeed

Postby Daz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:58 am

What would be cool is replacing the bucket seats with bench seats and doing it up as a yellow Pursuit car.
Kinda like future retro.
Daz

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars