Turbo Interceptor

Like the name says...

Re: Turbo Interceptor

Postby escaperoute » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am

Oh, and I checked out your link to all the models you have. Impressive work, man. Seriously, you have some beautiful pieces there.
escaperoute

Postby MFP 2020 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 am

Late to the party, but I LOVE that car! And there was a lot to like about the movie, too. (Mmm...Sherilyn Fenn!) I met Matthew Barry (Billy Hankins) back in 1991 or so; a lot of those guys are still working together.

Excellent project. I'm happy to see the Interceptor restored.
Formerly madmaximages.
MFP 2020

Postby escaperoute » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:48 am

MFP 2020 wrote:Late to the party, but I LOVE that car! And there was a lot to like about the movie, too. (Mmm...Sherilyn Fenn!) I met Matthew Barry (Billy Hankins) back in 1991 or so; a lot of those guys are still working together.

Excellent project. I'm happy to see the Interceptor restored.

Yeah, Sherilyn was quite the bit of eye candy in the Wraith! :D Matt Barry stopped by our forum a while back and made a post. He also left a bit of trivia for the fans and a photo from the set. Not many people knew, but Brooke Burke was also cast as one of the "roller girls" at Big Kays. So that was pretty cool. I'm also in contact with Dave Sherrill (Skank) quite a bit, he started a fan club on Facebook after learning of our project. We keep in touch every few weeks. Clint Howard and James Bozian (Gutterboy) have stopped by as well. Good people. I just keep hoping that we can get Charlie Sheen's attention, but i'm sure he's heard about it somewhere along. He and Dave Sherrill are still apparently pretty close.

We've also been working close with Bob Ackerman. As i mentioned earlier, he's the chief designer of the Dodge pace car. But last week we also had the head engineer and technician sign up on the forums. He drove the M4S to all of it's track meets and also hauled it to the movie set as a technical advisor and to drive it for a few scenes. He's got a TON of photos from the set that he's going to share in a few days. I'll see if i can get some permission to post them here too.

And not to take anyone away from here, but there seem to be some fans. If you wanted to sign up on our forum as well, the following link will take you there. Our site was down for several months, but we're trying to generate more interest to get it up and running again.

http://www.thewraithcar.com/phpBB3/

I should be heading back to the warehouse for more photos of the car and maybe some videos to add to our channel on youtube. I'll let you all know when that happens.
escaperoute

Postby escaperoute » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 am

Well, i got permission from Steve Maki to post the following photos. There are many more to make up the sequence for these scenes, but i don't want to take up a ton of room right off the bat. He might also sign up and explain his experiences to these scenes.

Steve was the head technician for the Dodge M4S pace car, and was on set to drive it for scenes (which were ultimately cut) and to help advise on set. The scenes you're looking at is when Minty's car collides with the Wraith during a race, and the garage scene where the Wraith kills Skank and the Gutterboy in Packards garage.

Steve had this to say about the scene with the Firebird...

The Triangular black device (seen left in the road where the Wraith body was) is a special effects car "launch-rollover" ramp. ... They had lined the fiberglass body of the Wraith car replica stunt body with detonation (det) cord. They sent a separate command, to blow up the Wraith body, when [the Firebird] started up the rollover ramp. A real stunt driver was actually driving the [Firebird]!

In the first shot I sent of the Packard's' Yellow Firebird crashing into the Wraith Sequence, you can see to the right of the engine supercharger, the special effects mortar- cannon, that is set up to blow the supercharger off the engine during the crash. I have more great shots other mortar-cannon installations, used to flip the many stunt cars...

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions.

escaperoute

Postby Cueball » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:37 am

Wow, thanks for sharing!

'Interceptor' is also on my list of the all time favourite car movies.
Nice to see it back!
I dont know, man..... I just got here meself!
Cueball

Postby escaperoute » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:10 pm

No worries! I'll probably share more as they come to me. Steve is in the middle of a move, so he's got a lot of his memorabilia tucked away in boxes still. :)
escaperoute

Postby roadwarriormfp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 pm

I remember seeing this film about 15yrs ago (only once) and it sure was different.
(It was my then girlfriends favourite movie!)
But the car culture and young actors in the movie was actually good to see.
Thanks for the behind the scenes pictures, I always get more out of a movie if i know its background and how they did things.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Daywalker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Escaperoute,

for your information,
the movie was called PHANTOM in France, and was only available on video, never on DVD; In Germany, it was called INTERCEPTOR...
Jimmy le Gorille, aussi vivant et hideux que jamais!
Daywalker

Postby aussie muscle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Seems like a shame to blow it up!
aussie muscle

Postby Zarana-X » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 am

Never noticed the Firebird has the rear wing from a Porsche 911 on it.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars