Turbo Interceptor

Like the name says...

Turbo Interceptor

Postby escaperoute » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:20 am

I set up a profile on here long ago, but managed to lose my sign up information almost immediately. I had intendid to post info on this, but obviously it didn't happen.

I see there are some other threads about building up replicars and kits for other vehicles than the Mad Max lineup. I thought i would see if any of you were familiar with another Interceptor in the movie world. That's how i came across this forum originally anyway. :)

I'm working with a small team of guys restoring one of the original Turbo Interceptors from the 80's cult hit (at least in the US) The Wraith. We've been working on the restoration for about 9 years now, and it's essentially complete. Here are a couple of shots from the film. Does anyone recall this car?

Last edited by escaperoute on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
escaperoute

Re: Turbo Interceptor

Postby .MAD MAX. » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:51 pm

sure do.....they also had one on display at the Chrysler museum several years ago.....was not a screen used car though but there was no difference. I remember seeing a sire about restoring one of the movie cars and I assume it was probably the one you guys are doing.....could you post the link if it is yours please.

.MAD MAX.

Postby escaperoute » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Yeah, i'm sure it was something about our site. And i have to apologize, it's under construction, so we've got some bugs to work out. You can see some of the story, photos, and progress here.

www.thewraithcar.com

Here are a couple of shots we took last summer.

The M4S prototype is still on display at the museum. We're actually working closely with the chief designer of the pace car. He's been helping us with restoring the screen used car and giving some advice on how to set everything so it sits right.
escaperoute

Postby escaperoute » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

Woops. Forgot to mention it earlier, but we also have the original Wraith suit. We're also going to paint up an old Barracuda to match the one that Skank the Gutterboy drove in the film.

escaperoute

Postby .MAD MAX. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

yep yep.... that's the site for sure..... looking forward to seeing more and reading the stories. Great job and glad another piece of movie history has been saved and i hope to see it in person one day

.MAD MAX.

Postby escaperoute » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 am

.MAD MAX. wrote:yep yep.... that's the site for sure..... looking forward to seeing more and reading the stories. Great job and glad another piece of movie history has been saved and i hope to see it in person one day

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a long road, and there are still a lot of things going on with the project. The owner of the car (i help with his website and restoration) has the original car up for sale and we're working on putting together a kit project. We're going to be talking with some other tv and movie car builders about what should be expected and what we'll need. We're still a bit ignorant to the whole kit car world, i'm afraid. :?

There's a lot to tell about how this whole thing came together, so i'll probably give more details at a later time. But if you have any questions about it, let me know. :)
escaperoute

Postby toecutter » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:46 pm

That Superbird convertible looks the jam.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby aussie muscle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey! that's my Wraith Barracuda model there ^

aussie muscle

Postby aussie muscle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Wasn't there a guy with like 3 of them (copies of interceptor)
aussie muscle

Postby escaperoute » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 am

aussie muscle wrote:Hey! that's my Wraith Barracuda model there ^

I hope you don't mind me posting that shot! I hotlinked it from a photo that i found on the web, i never copied it to my files or anything. :) Great paint work on the model, by the way, looks very accurate! David (Skank) would be proud. He follows our work on the car and it inspired him to set up a Facebook page for Wraith fans. If you're on FB, you might look up the fan page and see if you can post some shots of the model! Just tell him Wes sent you, he'll know what's up.

I'd link you to the fan page, but i can't access it from work. I'll try to remember to look it up when i'm at home tonight.

aussie muscle wrote:Wasn't there a guy with like 3 of them (copies of interceptor)

There were six props made for the film. Four were shells over a rolling frame for the explosions and crashes, they were obviously destroyed. The two drive props were sold back to the builder after filming and he later parted ways with them. We have one of them and the other is either dismantled or chopped to make the Wraith II kit car which never took off. We can't locate the second car, at least in it's original state, so we're assuming it's been destroyed.

We have several trial bodies made for an accurate Wraith kit that we're trying to launch, and one of them is being tested on a donor car for our first street legal copy of the Wraith. Technically the only "existing (and functional) cars" are the prop we own, and the Dodge M4S pace car which is in the Chyrsler museum in Detroit, Michigan.
escaperoute

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars