MAX-V8

Like the name says...

Re: MAX-V8

Postby toecutter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 am

That drive up and down Mt Hotham is INSANE.

It rates up there as one of my favourite drives of all time, I did it around xmas a few years back coming from Albury.

You just have to make sure you have plenty of guzzolene - no servo until you get to Bairnsdale.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby Gasoline » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Going up the mountain from the omeo side had me worried about generating too much heat from the motor. With the new desert cooler it was fine. Going down the mountain toward Bright had me worried about something else. Brake fade.
Its an auto-trans and im still running standard brakes. I had never worried about changing the brakes as I don't do any heading brakeing.
Winding down through the curves was a bit hairy as I didn't want to ride the brakes.

We weren't the only ones on the Great Alpine road either. Its was cool to see the reactions of the jap bike riders coming the other way. They would lean into a corner and all of a sudden 'mad max' would roar around from the other side of the curve. A few got the wobbles as they corrected themselves. Scary but enjoyable.
Kick her in the guts Barry !
Gasoline

Postby Max_Van » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 pm

now that sounds like fun on the alpine road :)
Max_Van

Postby Gasoline » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Found these old photos on a memory stick.

Taken when I rubbed the car back for a respray a couple of years ago. I still had the badges airbrushed on the quarters as you can see in this pic.

Gasoline

Postby toecutter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:06 pm

I fitted Bendix metal King pads on the front. Never had any probs after that, except they need to warm up.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby Gasoline » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Gasoline

Postby MrSpeed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Nice lines on your car brad,thanks for sharing as the photo's will come in handy when i get to that stage.

cheers
simon
The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel, it'll take you ten minutes to hack through it with this, now if your lucky ? you can hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go !
MrSpeed

Postby Gasoline » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks Simon,

I found 30 pics from that 'Restoration Weekend' so I will keep posting. It shows the car from various angles with no gloss on the paint. It will make it easier for you to see the true body shape without the usual light reflection.

Gasoline

Postby cruzn2the max » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 pm

For someone who doesnt have much mechanicle knowledge or body work expertease, you did a super job and still you assisted all the way though the build.

Hmm... the flat look would suit silverton with a bit of red dust all mixed in, keep the pics coming its realy good to see them of the build.
cruzn2the max

Postby Gasoline » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks Alan,
Unfortunately this is over 2 years ago (maybe 3) so its a lot different now.
Also, for anybody who is putting on a roof spoiler and hasn't done so already. Drill a couple of breather holes in the metal of the roof through to just inside the roof lining. This is so any moisture that forms inside the fibreglass cavity can escape or evaporate over time. Other wise you will end up with trapped moisture and eventually rust. I learnt the hard way. we had to cut away the outer corners and the front section of the spoiler and try and treat the rust inside. I drilled breather holes while I was at it.
It would have been good to have mechanical knowledge.
Mental note to self: next life, get mechanical knowledge.

Gasoline

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars