Building the Humungus machine

Like the name says...

Building the Humungus machine

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 pm

I had been considering getting an old Ford truck and trying to convert it to the Humungus machine. It really looks like just some sheet metal, two 55 gallon drums, a few accessories, and some pipes. I don't think it would be too hard to weld or bolt a third axle in there. But the sticking point would be moving the steering wheel, pedals, and gear shifter not only to the middle of the truck but also raised a bit too. Does anyone know how hard this is to do, or better yet, done it themselves?

As soon as I get the Humungus machine finished I'll start working out so I can look like Kjell...

HUMVEE Driver
"I'll see you on the road!"
http://www.madmaxmodels.com
HUMVEE Driver

Re: Building the Humungus machine

Postby MFP1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Hey Humvee,
Just happens I have been pondering this very project. I have taken a good look at some Barris Kustoms where he has moved the drivers location and some other examples by other folks. Several ways he has employed to do this.

1) Chain Drive (I call this one the never try this mehtod) - the corvette summer car used a motorcycle chain and sproket to make it RHD, seems like a huge crash waiting to happen to me.

2) Electrical drive. - Similar to (and also used for) remote controll. Steering wheel turns electrical sender controlling a motor on the steering gear. (some KITT versions, a few others)

3) Custom Column - Probably the best option for this application. Fabricate a multi sectioned column, using U-Joints and plenty of sturdy mounting loops, etc to directly connect the newly relocated wheel to the steering gear. (probably the way I would use, Barris used this on his "Land Yhat" for comedian Gallhager as well as the Raiders Coach (for Paul Revere & The Raiders) , and the Boat styled RV on Hullaballoo to name a few).

Hope this helps. Sounds like you have a better idea about the bodywork. I understand it also has 2 motors like the lone wolf vehicle. I believe they both ran but only 1 was connected to the drivetrain on the film vehicle (at least it has been said this is true of the lone wolf).
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:42 pm

If anyone can make one,Its you Dave,hell you too Dee. speakin of replicars.anything new with your"Red XA?"
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:36 am

I had heard of the chain-drive thing; I saw an episode of Carpocaclypse (great freaking show!) where they did that. Doesn't seem very stable, but it does seem like the cheapest and easiest to do. If I ever get this project rolling, I might have to try that. But still, as for moving the pedals and shifter, I'm at a loss.

The Humungus machine had two engines? I have to tell you, I've done quite a bit of research into the vehicle, and I don't see where they could even put a second engine.

HUMVEE Driver
HUMVEE Driver

Postby the armourer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:59 am

Moving everything around shouldn't be that difficult. I'd go with a articulated, multi-piece steering shaft using u-joints. If you brace everything properly you should get good steering response. I've seen street rods with some outlandish looking set-ups because of chassie limitations. Relocating the master cylinder and pedals is easy. The cylinder doesn't care where it's at as long as it's mounted at the highest point in the system. Using a stock pedal bracket will save having to fabricate one and working out new pedal geometry. Just make sure everything is braced and secure and run new hard lines to that location. With the shifter, I'd go with a cable set-up. If you can't get a cable long enough off the shelf, I think some of the big manufacturers will still provide a custom length. Back in '86 I helped a friend build a mid-engined Ford van and he needed a shifter cable that was almost 8ft long. We called B&M and they fixed us up with a custom piece.
The bottom line here is having the ability to custom fabricate. Unless you have loads of cash to pay someone. If I lived in the Detroit area I'd definately give you a hand.
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Postby MFP1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:18 pm

I have totally agree Aurmorer, the sectioned coulmn is a the best choice.

Brake Pedal, (I again agree), move pedal doghouse (or fabricate as needed), and master cyl.

Gas pedal (cable)

Shifter (cable or relay)

I say go for it Humvee, Ill be a long time on my cobra truck and other projects befor I get to it.

BBB:
The Rede XA Lives! It has been languishing a tad in my garage while the wet season raged outside (so much better to see it in its "Uniform" in the garage than to see it decomposing in the side yard, still raises the hair on the back of my neck when I go in to work on it or something else).
It is finally coming out and getting its motor tuned up (the nem 351 C that replced the unfortuante 302C that died wees before Roadwar NW), Having the Bat finished onto the front gaurds, Getting the front 12 slots and a standard street set of rears powdercoated while I see about having an old rusty set chopped into the right spacing for dualies then more powdercoating. Glad I saw Wanes 3-D modeling page too, I almost had the rear bumper made out of Aluminum Diamond plate (not the Steel Checker plate shown there) but that is going to be fabricated before summers end if I have my way..

I will post a few more details when there is more pix to show!
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:20 am

At the suggestion of 4073Max, I'm going to put all updates here so we can have a consolidated how-to build thread.

I guess I'll keep posting updates; I got a couple of old steering column shafts with U-joints that I'm going to weld together when I move the wheel to the center of the truck.

I've also made the two bodies Humungus has tied to the front. Instead of trying to get life-like rescue dummies that are waaaay to expensive and also very heavy, I made these from PCV pipe, a few screws, and duct tape. I have a couple of heads coming in the mail.

FIrst one finished and before dressing the second one.

Almost ready to get tied up.

In front of my own Humungus Machine
HUMVEE Driver

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:27 am

Here's the finished bodies...

HUMVEE Driver
HUMVEE Driver

Postby Alabaster » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:52 pm

I need one of those dummy's up in the front seat with me so I can drive in the HOV lane going to work. Looks good! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Alabaster

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:31 pm

I have a 1977 F150 lined up for use as a base vehicle, as well as a Ford rear axle to weld onto it. Can anyone tell me the technical info about what kind of wheels and tires the Humungus machine has? There is a place that has hundreds of wheels (rims) laying around, but all I know is that my axles take 5 lug wheels and the Humungus machine has wheels with the triangles around them, like the Interceptor. I need the technical info so I can find the right wheels and tires to fit them. Some help, anyone?

HUMVEE Driver
HUMVEE Driver

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars