Hood scoops

Like the name says...

Hood scoops

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:13 pm

I HAVE been old recently that Exhaust systems that exit in front of the rear wheels are not legal here, though.

Which is stupid, because there are vehicles that have this feature from the factory.

I'll be checking on this. (not building an Interceptor replica, but I do want them Zoomies!) Image

Any of you who are familliar with the '71-'74 Javelin..

I WILL want a hoodscoop for cool-air intake..

Any suggestions?

Seen one with a "Big Block 'Vette" scoop. That looks good.

Also seen one with the "L88" scoop. Not bad.

Perhaps a custom piece based on the Rebel Machine or SC/360 Hornet?

Or maybe a Shaker from a '70 Torino?

"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Hood scoops

Postby Anklecranker » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:55 pm

Bronze21,

Check out Summit Racing. They have crate engines and complete blower setups. I fit were me...I'd stick with the 351 with a working blower. 460 with a blower would be "whacked right outta his skulll" brutal.

Anklecranker

Hood scoops

Postby lastxc » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:16 am

The hood scoop on the interceptor in the picture was made from fiberglass and readily available during the 70's and 80's in Australia, I had on one my panel van. I have seen a few recently at swap meets here for around $10, in fact today I saw a complete fibreglass front like that on the interceptor except it was for a HZ Holden, the guy wanted $200.00 for it. It would have taken a lot of modification to make it fit an XB Coupe.

lastxc

Hood scoops

Postby Bronze21 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:38 pm

I got it yesterday...it fits like a glove, even with the shaped back. Once it's riveted, very little blending will be necessary. Blown 460? It IS the ultimate postal vehicle...remember? I have spoken. Besides, speed is just a question of money...LOL.
Bronze21

Hood scoops

Postby Anklecranker » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:57 pm

Anklecranker

Hood scoops

Postby Scar2783 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:16 am

I don't know about any crate 351's. As for the blower, I went with a Dyer's unit. It was the most reasonable, the intake had the proper height to get up and over the dissy and they could delivery quick. Their website is dyersblowers.com...I think.
"She's Meaness Put To Music And The Bitch Is Born To Run!"
Scar2783

Hood scoops

Postby MFP1 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:58 am

I have had 4 71-74 vintage Javlins, one of each year, 3 AMX's and an SST. I know, is seems like a line, but I got them all for less than $400 each. I think thre AMX hood is pretty cool on its own, beter than the plain version.

As for the BoB hood, I hear that you can get super high quality Carbon Fiber (10 x stronget than fiberglass or more, and lighter) GT hoods form MADMAXCARS.COM. That is certinly what I am going to do, for 2 reasons.... 1)Its light and better for racing, 2) its replaceable easily, and wont force me to cut up another factory GT hood, too many are lost to replicas when the carbon fiber is better anyway, and I will still have my factory hood.

I know ya'all can tell me otherwise all day, but I just dont see the logic in doing anything else.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Hood scoops

Postby Bronze21 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:34 pm

The L-88 scoop is just going to be riveted on top and blended, then painted black in the center until I get the "Scar" setup. I also have a "Cobra Clone" GT bonnet that already has the 11 mounting holes in it for the cobra scoop. I'll fill in those holes and cut one big one for the blower once the mill is built.

Scar: The Clevo crate motors are about $3000 from Performance Auto and Performance HD. The core is a $800 buck bullet to bite, but it's 300 horses out of the box with a warranty...until the blower goes on. Also, is there a way to put all of the acessory belts outside/in front of the blower pulley so the blower snout isn't as long?

Ankle: Well...maybe...being I couldn't pass the entry test into NASA...math score was too low...or I've watched too many Wile E. Coyote (supergenius) cartoons where he's riding the ACME rocketsled and chasing the Road Runner.

Bronze21

Hood scoops

Postby Scar2783 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:42 pm

I don't think there is a way to do that. It's pretty tight in there but I suppose someone might know. Perhaps one of the blower companies...

M
"She's Meaness Put To Music And The Bitch Is Born To Run!"
Scar2783

Hood scoops

Postby Anklecranker » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:05 pm

I saw small block serpentene adaptor plates at a GoodGuys Rod show. Is that what you are talking about?

Anklecranker

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars