Hood scoops

Like the name says...

Hood scoops

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:58 am

Greetings. Just wondering if the hood/bonnet scoop on Maxs' yellow Interceptor and March Hares Pursuit car, is the L-88/Corvette/Baldwin Motion piece? They look like it, but have been shortened due to the length of the XA/XB bonnet. It also looks like the one on the picture of the original BoB when it was touring and up for sale. I've thought about putting one on my non-scooped Fairmont bonnet. Theres a company called Aero Fiberglass out of Delano MN, USA that makes em for around $90 w/ shipping. The dimension is 28"W, 39"L, and 3 1/2"H. Lemme know...Cheers.
Bronze21

Hood scoops

Postby Interdictor » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:26 pm

You probably know as much as I do, but that was my understanding (that it was an L-88 scoop). Is this to be a temporary addition? you are still going the BoB (PoB in your case) route with it aren't you? Big blower casing and everything?

Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Hood scoops

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:07 pm

That scoop does look nice on the BoB.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/interceptor/HotRodShow79/Front.JPG

Were I to do a replica (as a driver) and had to deal with regulations prohibiting equipment such as a fake blower, I'd do something like that.

Either that or a shaker airscoop like the Falcon GTHO..

(Partial Replica is better than no replica at all.) ;)
"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Hood scoops

Postby Bronze21 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:38 am

I actually have two bonnets...one that came without the scoops like Big Boppers car, and a GT bonnet with hoodlock pins and "naca/nasa" scoops. The smooth one is getting the L-88 scoop while I scrape up the $3500 bones for the blower setup (real/constant) to set on top of the Clevo, and the GT bonnet will go on with the proper blower cutout when the mill is completed...something like Scars. We don't really get nailed too hard here in Detroit for limited sight violations...which is good. The L-88 is 3 1/2" high so I'll still be able to see over it.

Interdictor: PoB... In actuallity, it's DLPoNSB-C (Deep Lilac Pearl over Nightmare Satin Black - Custom...but PoB-C is close enough. LOL.
Bronze21

Hood scoops

Postby InterceptorUK » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:10 pm

The bonnet scoops may have been based on the option 97 pack that was available for the Falcon Cobra.

Also cars such as those raced by Allan Moffat and Dick Johnson had these scoops.

InterceptorUK

Hood scoops

Postby Anklecranker » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:24 pm

So you are going with a working blower?

Anklecranker

Hood scoops

Postby AussieCoupes » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:53 pm

Foxtrot X-Ray what state do you live in?

Phil

www.aussiecoupes.com
AussieCoupes

Hood scoops

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:54 pm

I'm in Nebraska.Image

I have no idea whatsoever what our local regs are regarding blowers, etc..

The car I am (Actually, "Will Be" is more accurate) working on would have little problem with this sort of regulation.

No plans for a 6/71. Image

I AM seriously looking into Alternative fuels.. Specifically, Alcohol.

"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Hood scoops

Postby AussieCoupes » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:21 pm

Foxtrot X-Ray, me either that is why I was asking. Most states in the USA aren't strict on this stuff which I love compared to Australian states.

Phil
www.aussiecoupes.com
AussieCoupes

Hood scoops

Postby Bronze21 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:43 am

Anklecranker, Yes, I'm looking into the whole full-time blower setup. Three engines are luring me in...351C, 429, 460. If I run any of them, the blower (weiand/GMC 6/70to1) will be underdriven to preserve the engine, but still make a lot of noise and still have the "horsepower on tap." I'm starting to price all of the components out and know a few shops around here that build engines for Roush Racing. It's still a couple of years away, but I'm looking at the 450 to 500 horse mark, to the ground. Budget wise, I'm looking at a crate, four-bolt Cleveland and underdriving the blower by 15-20 percent with a EFI system for longevity...it's still undecided. Maybe Scar can help with some details...eh?!
Bronze21

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars