Canadian replica storms Niagara Falls

Like the name says...

Postby 5.7 Interceptor » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:44 am

Well it finally happened.... although far from completion I thought it would be fun to get the coupe out for the holiday weekend.

There are quite a few that have told me their stories about pullling into a cruise night and all the reactions that they get but it's quite

a feeling to experience it. The crowd was blown away especially the the group of harleys that I was briefly stopped in front of while waiting to make a turn into

the main parking lot. I originally planned to trailer the car but I made the 70 mile round trip with ease..not bad at all for only doing a make shift alignment as it drove smoother than my wifes new Grand Prix (even with the vintage tires on it)!!

The big question of the night was 'what kind of car is it?' and even had some 'does it have the pontiac engine in it like the movie car?'..... no worries though people... I directed them to this site along with a pic from the site of the hood/bonnet raised which shows the Ford powerplant.

For some people now it's not that big a deal anymore as they've had their cars on the road for quite some time.... It's been a long haul for me as most know.....but I just had to let everyone know that Canada's first replica has finally made it to the streets for a bit.

TTYL, Doug
5.7 Interceptor

Postby XAMan » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:06 am

Hey Doug

I've never had the kahoonies to build a replica but I've built my fair share of muscle cars and ... oh the shame ... British sportscars and can attest to the time energy, passion and money that goes into one of these projects.

To build an Interceptor (or pursuit special as you quite properly refer to yours) on the opposite side of the planet to the home of the car and many of its components is a massive undertaking. To complete it to a stage where it is drivable is an awesome achievement in itself.

Fantastic!

I can't believ that the 'Pontiac' urban myth has such staying power ... then again there are those who believe that Elvis is running a take-away shop in Alice Springs.

I was already green with envy for obne of my ex-students who is in Perth today filming Gordons latest replica ... and now I have to contend with you wizzing around Niagra Falls in yours ... bastards!

How about a trade for the Cobra ...

XAMan (Pete)

'Lingerie ... remember lingerie ...'
XAMan

Postby Gordon Hayes » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:21 am

Hey Doug.

Welcome to the club, lots of fun on the road, But I am GREEN with envy for those who can legally drive such a car on the road.

So engoy all the drives you lucky bugger.

Hey Pete, Your mates were cool, we had a good day, More Mad Max talk that I had heard in ages, we trundled the Interceptor out just 24 hours before it left for Japan, And what a weapon it is.

As normal it (Interceptor) looks awesome on film, I did all I could to assit these guys, So I hope that they got some good film. At the end of the day I still felt that we had only scratched the surface in term of what the Interceptor has to offer a movie or TV screen. I swear that this vehicle is/was the most under utalised car of any film of any time.

Your mate's were not ready for the amazing physical presence of a true replica in the fleash.

So for about 10 min's it was all disbelief and awe. The "Oh my God its real !" phase I call it turns even seasoned film crews into a jibbering mess. They loved it. Everyone always spends that first few minutes in up-dateing the mental images that they have seen and caried for so long, adding real life angles and demensions. Nothing ever seems to prepare them for it, it is a joy to watch really. No-one is ever ready for that fact they (even after watching the film a million times) cannot fault the replica, like I said it is so close that it is spooky to stand next to it.

I had fun, it was a good time and worth a day off work, I wish them all the best with the film.

Yep you shoda been here!

Cheers

Gordon

PS Almost forgot.. ha ha.. the Police pulled us up in the Interceptor as they always do! Ha Ha .. The cameras freaked them out, they checked the permit for road transport and they fleed the scene ! Pauls filming there every move! And Rick McDowell is snapping away with the stioll camera for his Magazine shots (to be seen in Spain).

The shortest Police interview I have ever had !!!
Cheers

From OZ

Gordon
Gordon Hayes

Postby Bubba Fat » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:58 pm

HAHAHAA, did you already think of writing a book about your adventures? I am sure that it would be a best-seller!Image
I could probably make it on my own, but I like you kids.
Bubba Fat

Postby Gordon Hayes » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:20 am

Hey Pete:

Some how in with all the spelling mistakes of last night I managed to turn Hugh into "Paul" no idea how I did that, past my bedtime it was.

Opps..
Cheers

From OZ

Gordon
Gordon Hayes

Postby XAMan » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:00 am

Hi Gordon

Glad to hear it went well. Hugh ... or Paul for that matter ... is a terrific bloke who I would love to work with when I am done with the teaching thing and get back to making films again.

I'd love to have seen their face when you kicked the BoB in the guts!

Thanks for making time for the filming.

I'm flat out at the moment getting the Cobra ready for the big 25th anniversary gathering in Melbourne next weekend. I took yesterday off to paint and fit a new front spoiler to replace one that a possum had a head-on with a few months back and fitting a new radio speaker and an original cassette player and speakers so that we can rock out on the Hume.

Also doing a big detail this weekend but it will be grubby by Golburn ... still beats the heck out of trailering it!

I'm really looking forward to doing a long run as the car is purring. Taking off Thursday morning with my son for our first 'blokey' roadtrip.

XAMan (Pete)

'Lingerie ... remember lingerie ...'
XAMan

Postby 5.7 Interceptor » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:24 am

I should also mention that Jay Zadina (bronze21) came down from Detroit and

helped out by driving my cop car behind us "just in case' something went wrong... he then cruised with me back home.... of course we took a few detours thru the downtown area.

Thanks again for your help Jay!!

Doug
5.7 Interceptor

Postby Bronze21 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:32 pm

No worries mate! I couldn't have had a better time! Just the reactions of the Harley crowd was enough. I heard Mad Max, Road Warrior and Interceptor at least a dozen times form that group...even heard someone say "I don't want that guy behind me!" People were like lemmings. the PS/BoB rolled by, and all of their heads turned in unison to follow it. When we pulled into the parking lot, people started following it...leaving some pretty heavy hitters that could easily go in any car show, to follow Dougs PS/BoB. He parked it down in front, under the light of the sign, which was the only one in the lot. Some local OPP Bronze showed some interest later...even put Doug on the bonnet "under arrest" for a pic. We got a new definition for MFP now...Mutt Ford Product because it looks like styling cues from at least 6 different US models. The ride back to Dougs was awesome. I didn't even notice sitting on the left without a wheel. Three very distinct reactions took place...One: The slackjaw yokel named Bubba look...staring as it went by, sometimes corkscrewing around to get a look. Two: The excited giddy little schoolgirl reaction..."MAD MAX!", "INTERCEPTOR!" pointing and shouting. Three: Lemming theory... recognizing it and following it to talk/take a look at it. It was awesome with the blower whining and engine lubbing down through the canyon of buildings in St. Catharines. I had one arm out the window and would occasionally wave with the other...what reactions from people! The car isn't complete, but it stills looks mean as hell and very ominous in primer...better than Mushroom Sand...lol. Oh yeah, my parents and I went and saw Niagara Falls the previous day...that was OK too...lol. The best way to describe the cruise night was...One man carshow.

PS: I finally got my Fairmont last night. She already has another 100 miles on her. I am going to need a driver-side door handle if you know where to get another one. Mine's busted on the right connecting arm...One man carshow here as well. I think about 50 people have already looked at it, and I've only had it out for 6 hours. It wasn't even off of the truck, and someone turned around and got out to ask "I saw it but I just had to be sure." I asked him back "So what do you think it is?" "Mad Max?" "Bingo!"...I highly recommend everyone getting one, by whatever legal means necessary. I had to use the "Mexican Mustang" bit as well...might try "Canadian Trans Am" next.

"They're just a really neat car, and I just had to have one." - Melton Scott, Toledo 2003.
Bronze21

Postby Interdictor » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:11 am

Congrats, Jay. Glad it finally made it off the boat! Can't wait to see it after it's new paint. It should be stunning.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby mfpmax » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:53 pm

Why did you not bring that thing around when I was up in Canada! We visited the Canadian side of the falls :(

I did see a Delorean up there though.
mfpmax

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars