INTERCEPTOR double an AUTOMATIC?

Like the name says...

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:42 am

this probably could have gone in the GENERAL SECTION, but check out as max aproaches the site of the gyro copter, he doesn't go down in gears it sounds like he's in about 3rd gear at that speed he's going , and then he just stops, i know if i just stop in 3rd gear the car either stalls or lets me know in someway its bad (fair enough i drive a NISSAN, and have never driven a FALCON, but my dad owned a few of them, and i'd watch closely as he drove)

now i know the original car is a manual, its common knowledge, though we don't often see max change gears , we see him throw it into reverse when he crashes the LANDAU, and he does that gear change as he turns on the supercharger (which i presume is supposed to be 5th gear or maybe even a 6th, i mean it is the future afterall). but in this scene you know its the 'double car', cause the packing shelf cage is right behind max's head, and in the original ,the cage is far up the back right ontop of where the backseat should be, plus check out how low it is when max backs up to it with gyro, the original is jacked up at the back.

anyway my point is we don't know much about the 'double car', cept it was used for driving shots or something, when in the opening scenes its clearly the original being chased, and i just wondered if they used an automatic for it or not.

also does anyone have a picture of the two of them?, i know one exists i've seen it briefly on the WELCOME TO WHEREEVER YOU ARE video, when they go into one of the pubs you see a photo of the LANDAU with one of the INTERCEPTORS next to it and another one of them behind it, but they don't dwell on it long enough, they just jump past it.

and i'm not asking for a YES NO answer, i'm asking if your willing to post it up, cause lots of people are like 'yeah man i've got a picture of that' but their too possesive of it to show anyone else...
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:28 pm

I don't think he threw it into reverse, he hit the brakes. If he put it in reverse at that speed, you'd see transmission parts and clutch parts dropping out behind him. And then he downshifted into about 3rd when he turned on the supercharger. He pushed forward on the shifter, this would be for 1st, third, or fifth,(based on normal shift patterns, for Ford, at least). 1st would have been too low, and fifth too high for the apparent acceleration, even with that much power.

Not that this has anything to do with the second car being an automatic. They are easier to drive when you need to concentrate on what's around you (chase scenes with other cars), less abrupt speed changes, too. Plus, anyone can drive it.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby mfpmax » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:49 pm

Quote: Originally posted by DetritusMaximus on 23 February 2003

Plus, anyone can drive it.

Tina Turner rings a bell.
mfpmax

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:52 pm

oh no not this subject again, na dude i meant when he stopped, and whipped his head around and reversed back up to the crash site to get out and mop up the gas, my point was you don't see max touch those gears during the whole movie, except when he turns on the charger and when you HEAR the click click of the bit i just mentioned.

yeah i thought it would be easier for actors and sh*t, to drive an automatic, less concentration needed.
rockatansky4073

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:55 pm

Sorry, my mistake. Image

Could also be that the car makes so much power that he doesn't need to shift often. The car might be happy staying in 3rd from 20 to ?. The wonders of torque.Image
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:50 am

yeah i thought of that briefly too. in my 6 cylindre, you have far more time to go through the gears, but i remember watching dad as a kid in his 351 GT. he had to go through them quicker cause the revs were quicker.
rockatansky4073

Postby racerx » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:40 pm

Quote: Originally posted by rockatansky4073 on 23 February 2003

this probably could have gone in the GENERAL SECTION, but check out as max aproaches the site of the gyro copter, he doesn't go down in gears it sounds like he's in about 3rd gear at that speed he's going , and then he just stops, i know if i just stop in 3rd gear the car either stalls or lets me know in someway its bad (fair enough i drive a NISSAN, and have never driven a FALCON, but my dad owned a few of them, and i'd watch closely as he drove)

Just watched again last night...I think it was just clutch in as he rolled to a stop and then he shut it off.
racerx

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:40 pm

but it woulda jolted a bit, if he'd turned it off in 2nd or 3rd wouldn't it? mine does anyway it does like a real jolt and jerk if you pull up and forget to put it back in first, though granted it ain't no V8.
rockatansky4073

Postby Dave D » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:49 pm

Rock,

I've always owned stick shifts & once the clutch is in it doesn't matter what gear it's in, unless you pop the clutch up before you shut the oily bit off. I quiet often roll to a stop in 3rd, 4th or 5th with no issues, in fact in my V8 Discovery I often stop & take off again in 2nd or 3rd.

Dave

Dave D

Postby rockatansky4073 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:38 am

yeah, my car does need a major tune up and sh*t, actually it sometimes does that jolt even if i have it in 1st occasionally, usually once i take my foot off the clutch after the ignition is switched off.

i can take off in 2nd though at the lights and sh*t, but it will let me know its wrong with a shudder.

ANYONE got that picture yet?
rockatansky4073

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars