Only Right-hand steering????

Like the name says...

Postby Swede-dude » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:36 pm

I wounder if any of the cool cars of Australia (ex. Landu coupe, XA-coupe, Monaco, valiant charger etc) came out (with diffrent names maybe?) in coutries who have left hand steering?? I would like to own one but i whant the steerwheel on the left side (difficoult to drive otherwise!!!). Maybe some of the car where simular to its American cousins??

Will be very grateful for answers.

Sorry about the spelings, im not to good at english.
If it is
Swede-dude

Postby MFP1 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:29 pm

Sorry to tell you, but ALL those awesome Aussie cars are available in R/H drive only, with the possible exception of some of the models that were "borrowed" from the us, may have L/H drive US counterparts.

The Good News is, it is not at all hard for us "lefties", to get used to R/H drive cars (if you want to bad enough), I switched from a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang to a 1973 XA, and I cought on really fast.

The bad news is, if you really cant drive from the right, you probably should get yourself a 69 or 71 mach 1, a 72 torino, or a 72-74 AMC AMX (the short list of US cars commonly mistaken for the interceptor base car), and just let the fabulous musclecars of OZ haunt your dreams.

Good Luck whatever you decide.......
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:09 pm

Well...you can get the Holden Monaro complete with the left-hand steering here in the states now. It's called the Pontiac GTO. All they did was change over the steering and front/rear facias, and rebadge it. All the underpinnings are 100% Aussie....even imported to the US for GM. It's only $35,000 (est.)US for this fine V-8.
Bronze21

Postby OzHemi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:59 pm

I believe some of the earlier Holdens were built in LHD form for export.. around the HQ era on wards, for shipment to South Africa or someplace? I recall reading about them once, but not sure on the destination country.

The have been building LHD commodores for a few years now, that go to the United Arab Emerites.

Have never heard of a LHD valiant being made in Oz, but it would be straight foward to convert one over. (I own a VH Charger R/T at the moment, and have owned many US mopars)
OzHemi

Postby Swede-dude » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:25 pm

Okay. Thanks for the answers. In europe we have a car called Opel Commodore! It is a real beautiful when it comes as coupe! The first com in -67 and the first generation is between 67-71. My negibour have a -70 staning in a pile of junk! I`ll get some pics of it later. I have a Dodge Dart GT -65. I was tinkin about doin a MM car of it.......Flat black whit a BIG skull painted on the hood an sidepipes, mag-wheels, fender-extenders, huge wing on the trunk and so on........Sed pics on that one later to. Se Ya!
If it is
Swede-dude

Postby Interdictor » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:22 pm

Bronze 21, Actually it's the Monaro, not the Commodore. And the Monaro has a Gen III 350, an American motor (same as what comes in a Vette) only in the GTO, horsepower and torque get boosted over the Aussie (Monaro) stats. 35 large is too rich for my blood, but I'd sure like to have one. Wonder how much it would cost to get those front & rear facias from the monaro shipped over here, along with some badges, and turn it back into a Holden?
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby OzHemi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:25 pm

I thought about the idea of sending some facias over for the GTO actually.. (got a container coming here in mid-April again..but think I will wait a while and see once the GTO gets released if there is a market for the Monaro or HSV fronts.
OzHemi

Postby Interdictor » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:29 pm

Might want to see if there is a reverse market for GTO parts to Oz also. You could start a trend!
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby OzHemi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:32 pm

That part would be easy..I am an exporter to Oz by trade, send containers over all the time (just send 5 of them in the past 3 weeks)
OzHemi

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:44 pm

OK. So pardoning my ignorance, is the Monaro and the Commodore anything like the XB Falcon's having the performance side (GT), and the luxury side (Fairmont), or are they two totally different platforms? I just started watching the Australian V-8 Supercars on Speed (bloody awesome), and they called them Comm's. I really haven't studied the new stuff all that much to know the difference...yet. My interests lie in pre-smog Mopars mostly.

Interdictor: I changed it. I do remember hearing Monaro somewhere...oh yeah...the Detroit Autoshow. lol.
Bronze21

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars