REPLICA's in the WET.

Like the name says...

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby rockatansky4073 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:34 am

To any of you guys out there with INTERCEPTOR replica's, i was wondering how are they in the wet? i don't mean performance wise, i mean how are all the little trinkets and cool sh*t that make it a replica?

I was watching the video WELCOME TO WHEREVER YOU ARE, and in it the guys who make their MAD MAX 2 replica, come across a problem, when it rains, the back of it fills with water (where the tanks are), and they have to mop it out with rags and sh*t, similiar to the way max mopped up the petrol with his bandana. now that water would've stayed in the boot (trunk) wouldn't it, theres the wall where the back seats are supposed to be dividing the boot from the back seats area isn't there?

Also how 'bout the blower, that would fill with water too wouldn't it, thoug i guess its got a back to it, so the water isn't going anywhere is it, anywhere important anyway.

also what about the monza front , does water creep in behind those two clear pieces covering the headlights, and if it does , does it stay there for a long time, i know when the crack in my rear taillight lets moisture in there it takes almost a week to dry out.

not that its too important i guess, but its been bugging me a while. those little things that make our perfect car not so perfect, like how much dust max gets all over his dashboard and sh*t from the rear window missing in PART 2.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby 5.7 Interceptor » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:34 pm

I just watched the 'welcome' video yesterday... what a scream!! very well done indeed!

As for water getting in on replicas: most people have MM1 cars so water is not a prob in the boot. I'd imagine those building MM2 versions could simply put in some drain holes.

The headlamp covers on the monza nose are only held in with some screws and no sealant and thus makes it a 'not so tight' fit. Water evapourates quite quickly but then again it only take a few minutes to remove the covers to give them a decent cleaning.

The blower...if you get caught in the rain while driving yuo would definately get some water in the scoop but just sitting still until the rain passes just means you'd have some polishing to do once you get it back home. When I wash my coupe (and even while it's in the garage) I have the entire blower unit covered with a

big plastic cover that extends over most the engine to keep it dry.

Doug
5.7 Interceptor

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby torinoscj » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:11 pm

I'm pretty much the same as you,Doug,when it comes to the boot and headlight covers,but as for the blower,it gets washed and rained on just like any other part of the car.Since air actually goes into the engine through my scoop,there could be a little water that MIGHT make it into the engine,but the scoop has a reasonably small frontal opening and any rain that got in would have to be very lucky to make it into the opening and then through the air cleaners and then find a straight route to the carby opening.I'm not worried and wouldn't mind a little extra HP from the minimal water injection.Bill

The Blower,man,the Blower! He's in a coma!
torinoscj

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby rockatansky4073 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:47 pm

what about the small gaps around the blower where the holes been cut in the bonet, is it dangerous to get water in there, will it f**k up anything?

shoulda listened to my dad more when he used to own GT's as a kid, but i wern't interested , now i'm kicking myself...
rockatansky4073

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby mfpmax » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:01 pm

I don't see a problem with the area open around the hood opening...since people have been running around with functional superchargers for years, and have yet to have any real problems.

mfpmax

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby 5.7 Interceptor » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:24 am

Nah, the water won't hurt it at all, especially if the car has been running for a bit. I got caught in the rain a few time with my chevelle that had a tunnel ram and a few polished goodies... just meant more cleaning the next day.

The only big problem is if the distributor got VERY wet but you can always steal a rubber dist cover from a Taurus to cure that.

Doug
5.7 Interceptor

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby rockatansky4073 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:23 am

oh yeah and one i just thought of what about the zoomey's? their aimed upward, they're bound to fill up.
rockatansky4073

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby torinoscj » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:14 am

Yes the zoomies do catch a bit of rain in them but they get more water in them when I wash the car.Then I have to let it run to heat and blow the water out.It's not a pretty picture if you're parked next to me when there is water in them,just ask Phil.There were littlew black dots all over his car from the water/exhaust mixture that shot out.The best thing is when it is fairly cold outside and the exhaust gets heating up,burning out all the condensation,then the zoomies shoot up little steam clouds just like an old slingshot dragster,VERY COOL.Bill

The Blower,man,the Blower! He's in a coma!
torinoscj

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby mfpmax » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:03 pm

Need to get that on video!
mfpmax

REPLICA's in the WET.

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:09 am

sh*t yeah.
rockatansky4073

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars