The Red XA Coupe

Like the name says...

The Red XA Coupe

Postby XAMan » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:25 am

Hey Detritus

The Force 7 coupe was the stillborn coupe version of an Australian only Leyland P76 ... Leylands attempt to cash in onsome of the Falcon/Kingswood market.

When Leyland went broke after the P76 fizzed in the market due to both buyer resistance and initial quality control issues steming from induatrial action and good old Aussie slackness the Force 7 was never released.

There are differing numbers around but someting like 20 pre production units were made and all but 14 were sent to the crusher. These were auctioned off and the odd one turns up at car shows.

As Gordon pointed out quite a few are in car museums now given their place in Aust motoring history.

Living up to their 70's heritage most are in fairly lurid greens, yellows and orange.

If the design of the P76 (we used to call it the P38 ... never more than half a car ...) was awkward from certain angles then the Force 7 was downright weird!

While you could fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot of either the rest was pure late seventies angles and flat surfaces ... like some massive and bloated piece of Origami ... not what the discerning buyer was after it seemed. Both were fitted with an alloy block version of the rover v8 (optional on the sedan ... straight 6 standard ... except top of the range models) and were in many ways ahead of their time the sedans are pretty thin on the ground but sell in the $2-5K area. I haven't seen a force 7 advertised for a long while but recall one in unique cars a few years back with an asking price around $20k.

There is an article in the latest Australian Muscle Car mag about the P76 which I think had a pic of a Force7.
XAMan (Pete)

'Lingerie ... remember lingerie ...'
XAMan

The Red XA Coupe

Postby Bubba Fat » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:01 pm

"If you'll look closely at Humungous' gun case, the same Skull emblem is attatched to the lid of the case".

Someone has posted the message, that Humungus was the son of an ex nazi. Maybe! He has a german accent!
I could probably make it on my own, but I like you kids.
Bubba Fat

The Red XA Coupe

Postby rockatansky4073 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:14 pm

I always thought so, theres a lot of nazi militaria on the vehicles and uniforms of various vermin members. maybe he encouraged it, though i don't think for a fascistic reason, just cause the nazi's represent world dominators and conquorers, and thats how the HUMUNGUS saw his marauders...
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

The Red XA Coupe

Postby rockatansky4073 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:04 am

well i don't think the HUMUNGUS was that far from genocide, i mean every prisoner they had they ended up killing anyway, i believe, if they'd inherited the compound somehow. they would have used the gas to go on long range scouts around the country side and wipe out more "compounds" everywhere, until the vermin did actually inherit the earth.
rockatansky4073

The Red XA Coupe

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:08 pm

It would be interesting to have some input from the set designer/artistic director as to why certain things look as they do. Plus, the costume designer, Norma Moriceau.

There's obviously a method to the madness, and I'd like to hear straight from the horse's mouth as to why the film has these design elements.

My theory is that the Germanic/Nazi theme is the art imitates life imitates art circular process. First, you have the real Nazi regalia. Then it becomes representative of 'bad guys', and the totem/fetishists use it to define themselves as 'bad guys', as in the biker Iron Cross. Then real life takes over again and another layer of 'bad guy' gets assigned to the imagery by real life bikers. Then art takes over again and movie bikers, bad guys and punks all have scary Nazi skulls, crosses, etc.

At this point, skulls and Nazi regalia are visual shorthand for 'bad guy'. Wannabee or actual...

Mitch
Mitch

The Red XA Coupe

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:17 am

yeah absolutely. but for starters if we're thinking in term's of costuming, like the "it's just a movie" mentality, all the NAZI MILITARIA is just there for show, simply cause it looks cool, and it's bad arse, plus the early 80's it was the era of the punk, even if you didn't believe in the fascist philosophy, you wore swastikkas etc. to shock , provoke and offend.

but were not thinking like that, were thinking of why the characters put that sh*t on their uniforms and vehicles, and for that , see my other opinions, though i think HUMUNGUS's goes a little deeper than just genocide, he obviously has some kind of inherited nazism.
rockatansky4073

The Red XA Coupe

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:08 am

Yeah, but that's my point as to the circular nature of the influences. The designers deliberately chose the icons to shock and adequately represent 'bad guys'. But if we look at the character's motivations for putting the markings on their clothes and vehicles, wouldn't they derive the look from media representations of 'bad guys' too?

To better illustrate what I'm saying, let's say the world goes to hell in a handbasket over the next few months. Not impossible. Anyway, let's say there is a gang wandering around pillaging. And for markings, they choose Nazi SS skulls, NOT because they know what they represent, but because they saw it on a Motorhead album or something. The iconography feeds itself.

Mitch
Mitch

The Red XA Coupe

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:14 am

yeah, i know what your getting at, but there are a hundred differnt symbles and markings that could have had the same effect, why NAZI of all of them? it's just a little too coincidental, especially with HUMUNGUS being the dictator that he is.
rockatansky4073

The Red XA Coupe

Postby Bronze21 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:10 am

Hey guys. Maybe they used the nazi "Turd" Reich stuff because it's easily recognized and identifiable to the layman/common man watching the movie. It makes you remember the horrors that Hitler did to the 6 mil-plus Jews, so you end up hating the marauders even more. To me, it was all about visual association. Oops, Mitch already stated it in different words...
Bronze21

The Red XA Coupe

Postby rockatansky4073 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:34 am

check out the FAQ's MAD MAX 2 vehicles listing if theres any definites it'll be there.
rockatansky4073

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars