Why do...

Like the name says...

Why do...

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:28 am

Once told my (now-ex) wife that I wanted to get a Australian Ford Falcon XBGT. She looked at me and said, "LMNOP?"

Look at the Camaro Z-28, RS, Type LT, RS/SS, etc. Some are trim options, some are performance levels and some were available only in certain years, but they can be deciphered if you really care to keep up with it all.

Mitch

Mitch

Why do...

Postby FalconGTHO » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:12 am

ImageEhh, RS/SS is differerent. XA, XB isnt a trim level or performance option. A 92 Taurus is MUCH different from an 03 Tauraus. However, when you go and say you need a hood or a fender for a 92 Taurus, everyone knows what youre talking about. Sorry, it STILL seems needless, extra gibberrish.
Any damage Goose? Nothing a year in the tropics wouldnt fix. You should see the damage Bronze. Metal damage, brain damage, I AM the NIGHT RIDAHH!!! A fuel injected suiCIDE masheen!
FalconGTHO

Why do...

Postby FalconGTHO » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:14 am

ImageKeep in mind the reason I say this is that the Falcons you had starting out in the 60s were the same we had here and we didnt have extra letter designations, so why did you guys need them?
Any damage Goose? Nothing a year in the tropics wouldnt fix. You should see the damage Bronze. Metal damage, brain damage, I AM the NIGHT RIDAHH!!! A fuel injected suiCIDE masheen!
FalconGTHO

Why do...

Postby toecutter » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:23 am

because the original foulcans were sh*te. the front suspension collapsed on anything other than freshly laid asphalt.

The xt series is where oz foulcans started to diverge. or was it xw ?

Everything after that is different. nice article in collectible automobile a few years back on oz fords.

Its also common to just refer to a car by the model designation.

eg: XT, HR, FJ, A9X, XU1 - and of course P76.

I think early 70's foulcans were the nicest. i cant stand teh new ones. the bloody rear vision mirror is right in teh middle of the windscreen and due to my height and enormouse melon head it blocks my field of vision.

wouldnt a phase IV XA GTHO coupe be nice...

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Why do...

Postby toecutter » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:25 am

what the hell! my post are being censored!

whats going on ???

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Why do...

Postby Mad Maxwell » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:39 pm

TC,

The software does it automatically.
Evan "Mad" Maxwell

"Oh my God, what happened?"

"I don't know man I just got here myself."
Mad Maxwell

Why do...

Postby Dave_H » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:24 am

Having just read toecutters post. I think the reason Falcons adopted the naming convention was perhaps because holden (> 50% of the market at the time) was doing it, it seemed like the Australian way to go?

The Aussie falcons had to quickly differ from the American Falcon 'compact' . after about the 2nd model. The reason (as toecutter said) is that the American falcon designed for smooth US highways was just not strong enough for the (still) bad state of Australian roads. Back then most non main roads were still unsealed in Australia. The front suspensions and bodywork basically disintergrated. It was not uncommon to see falcons lying on their engine sump with the front struts poking through holes they had ripped in the fenders.

Ford Australia remedied this with hasty reinforcing and redesigning of the whole front end of the cars. They then ran a high publicity endurance session. This demonstrated to the Aussie public that they could put faith in the previously under-engineered American cars. Had this not happened there would have been no Falcon after the early 60's

Basically from that point on, Aussie Falcons started differing to the point where the XA was a completley unique to Australia model.
Dave_H

Previous

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars