what to get?

Like the name says...

what to get?

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:28 am

Guys

Im currently looking a great XB fairmont coupe with a 302 and Auto gearbox, the car is one of the best bodies that I have seen, its been owned by a granpa since 1975 and only selling it for a smaller car. its really good but there are a few I have a few questions to make the car right.

Changing the gearbox and setting up the clutch peddel assembly, is this an easy thing to do to change the T bar gearbox? , I know i will have to get a tailshaft to suit, thats no problem

Changing the dash for a black Gt style and replacing the old brown fairmont dash? also how do you go for door trims, can they be redone with the interior in a black vinal, they sure did brown in the 70's

The other thing it dosent have is a 9", but hes only asking $4500 for it, its also set up on LPG. The reason Im asking is that its in great nick, always lived in the shed etc. Im keen on this one but have these few questions before i jump in head first

ThanksImage

Brad, Adelaide

Brad

what to get?

Postby nelson » Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:45 am

Brad I am coverting an xc into an xb so the dash has to be redone. This isnt a problem either will be the trims, most wreckers have the parts you'll need. Dont worry about the diff, an 8" is fine unless you want to be doing burnots and doughnuts every weekend.

Are you building a replica???
nelson

what to get?

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:02 am

Hi Nelson

Im very seriously looking into it yes, just starting to look at a few coupes and find some different options, ive looked at some that have the 351 top loader etc, but all have crap bodies, mechanics can always be done but im more keen on starting with a good body. Ive been into hot rods for a while know, same story, cant get a good body, unless you go full fiberglass, its alot more expensive option, plus the fact that ive always liked the ford coupes, and the inter is the toughest

any ideas if the peddle assembly is an easy bolt in thing, the reason I ask, is that I dont know if its the same firewall for both or if there different. Also someone told me that parts are getting harder to get for the top loader boxes, any news on that one?

Thanks Brad
Brad

what to get?

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:04 am

Also, does anyone know who ownes the black coupe with the South Australian number plates that Peter has taken a photo of ? It looks great, Id love to have a look at it

Brad
Brad

what to get?

Postby nelson » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:15 am

toploaders are expensive, so are the parts and they are not as reliable as other transmissions. Best talk to an expert about the tranny. The interior is not a problem, like everything in cars its a question of $$$$$. I gave up after 9 months of looking for an xb coupe. As I an building a replica I have to pull the interior out anyway and thats the only way to fully assess the dreaded rust in these oldies. Check around the rear window and the same spot in the boot. Also the doors and scuttle panel (between bonnet and windscreen)

I decided to go with an unregistered xc, the interior was out and I could see all the rust, which was minimal thankfully. Considering that I wanted all new trims and mats, tyres and wheels ect I didnt want to pay for someone elses work. That price you quoted seems reasonable though. Sooner or later one of the car guru's will answer you.......hwere are you Simon, Cam???
nelson

what to get?

Postby Wrinkles » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:56 am

Brad - the firewall is the same on all. making the switch from auto to manual pedals isn't a big deal.

Wrinkles

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars