Brake Rotor Part Interchange

Like the name says...

Brake Rotor Part Interchange

Postby dmc8163 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:29 pm

I am sure the answer to this question is already here on the forum but I can't find it. I am finally getting the opportunity to work on my Mad Max replica. I need front and rear rotors for my 1974 XBGT. It would cost a small fortune to have them shipped to the US. I seem to recall that there are rotors from either an American Mustang or Fairlane that will work. Can anyone help me out? Thank you, Dave
dmc8163
dmc8163

Re: Brake Rotor Part Interchange

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:11 am

Though im not US based... you will find that the rotors from the US Mustang and Fairlane of the same era the same as the Falcons.
There was one small differences though as some XBs had the small hub on the rotor and the later had the larger hub. (same wheel bearings but).

When you go to the larger hub youll need to change the triangle shaped dust shield seal as the machining on the rotor is different.

Not sure on part numbers with US cars sorry, ill see if i can get Doug on here to answer.

If all else fails take the rotor with you to a brake shop.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby MadMatt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Yea my 76 xb has the large bearing hubs. I went to Autozone and bought new rotors and bearing for 73 mustang. Late 69 and up Mustangs got the large bearing and stub shaft. I think Xbs starting in 73 and up had the large bearing by then? Im pretty sure John Goss mentions it in one of my back issues of Australian Muscle car Mag about the change over to the larger spindle and bearing really helped with the flexing at the Mountain! Could always buy the later mustang spindle and the American brake brakets and brakes from Mustangs plus. Bolt right in.
MadMatt

Postby dmc8163 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks guys. I'll head to Autozone. Dave
dmc8163
dmc8163

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars