Significance of the Music Box in Road Warrior?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: Significance of the Music Box in Road Warrior?

Postby Wood » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 am

MWFV8 wrote:Road Warrior is full of what appear to be neat touches like this, the way Max has gained animal like colouring to his hair, eating dog food, partnering with a animal, the faceless dehumanisation of the marauder gangs, the angel like appearance of the compound dwellers, the journey of the door with Earth written on it etc. It's these touches, conscious or not, that make it feel deeper than the movies that tried to imitate it.

great post

Postby L88 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 am

MWFV8 wrote:As roadwarriormfp says the music box is mostly likely just a poignant plot setting device. It's a pretty neat bit of writing as by using that it causes the viewer to create their own mental picture of how dire the Mad Max universe has become. This has more impact than characters referencing it, for example the GyroCaptain referencing lingerie is seen as more comical and seedy. It's kind of a "don't show the monster" principle of story writing that makes you imagine you own personal best parts of life rather than the authors.

Also by manifesting that past into the music box it makes the scene were Max hands it to the Ferrel Child far more significant, as he's metaphorically handing over the better past to a generation that needs to be saved.

Road Warrior is full of what appear to be neat touches like this, the way Max has gained animal like colouring to his hair, eating dog food, partnering with a animal, the faceless dehumanisation of the marauder gangs, the angel like appearance of the compound dwellers, the journey of the door with Earth written on it etc. It's these touches, conscious or not, that make it feel deeper than the movies that tried to imitate it.

Very, very true.

There was a somewhat in-depth subliminal analysis/review video that a bloke named Rob Ager did some time ago that hits on a lot of the same points. I'd recommend to anyone that they watch it, although unfortunately it looks to be he's taken it off YouTube and it can only now be bought on DVD from his website.
L88

Postby MWFV8 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:17 am

L88 I love Rob Ager's movie analysis vids so it's no surprise that where most of the points I mentioned are directly from him.

When you consider the calibre of movies Rob tends to analyse it speaks volumes that he took a close look at Road Warrior.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Redd4 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 am

What a great question! In all the times I've seen MM2, I never wondered why a music box would fall out of a dead man's hand. Good eye, Kris :).
I think the driver knew his time was up, and tried to take himself away from what was happening with the music box.
Redd4

Postby Walker 2008 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:13 am

Isn't the song on the music box also the same song that Jesse was playing on the saxophone?
Walker 2008

Postby roadwarriormfp » Fri May 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Walker 2008 wrote:Isn't the song on the music box also the same song that Jesse was playing on the saxophone?

ummm you have never sung happy birthday????

By this i mean.. no the song isnt the same... the music box song is "Happy Birthday to you"
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion