Mad Max on Beta

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Mad Max on Beta

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 am

Remember a while back there was a discussion about the Mad Max Beta release? How it might have some of those deleted scenes on it? Well at the Motor City Comic Con last weekend I spotted one and bought it. But I don't have a Beta player. I'll send it to anyone who does.

HUMVEE Driver
"I'll see you on the road!"
http://www.madmaxmodels.com
HUMVEE Driver

Re: Mad Max on Beta

Postby MFP 2020 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:17 pm

I have, I believe, two copies of MM on Beta, and I'm in the same boat: no Beta player. :)
Formerly madmaximages.
MFP 2020

Postby Peter Barton » Mon May 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Me too :)

Realistically, I've never had anyone ever report having seen missing scenes on a store bought VHS or Beta tape. Anyone who has ever mentioned seeing extra scenes either saw it on cable in the early / mid-80's (that's where most of the reports have come from), or saw it during an original cinema screening. So finding a tape of one of those cable broadcasts would be better to search after, but much harder to find. Even harder than a beta tape.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby .MAD MAX. » Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 am

Dave... I have a couple myself and I actually bought a Beta player several years ago. Send me the tape and I'll bring it back to you when we visit this summer

.MAD MAX.

Postby MFP 2020 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 am

Peter, I put an ad on Craigslist a few months back offering a reward for a tape of MM1 on cable, and got zero response. :( There must be at least one out there. Maybe I'll have to start buying random cassettes at the thrift store. (Like I need another home video project to occupy my time.)
Formerly madmaximages.
MFP 2020

Postby Max Replica » Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Do we know anything more about these rumors? As in, was it supposedly on an American tape or broadcast vs. Australian?
And this is definitely film one we're talking about right?
The Replica Warrior
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Max Replica

Postby Peter Barton » Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 pm

American cable broadcast, original Mad Max. (There was no cable in Australia until the mid to late 90's).

There's no guarantee that these scenes exist. But I've had similar emails from more than one person (although still only a handful of people) describing basically the same scenes, and saying they saw them on cable. This was BEFORE any specific info was listed on the page, and these were scenes that I KNEW were filmed and subsequently cut from the final release. So on that basis, I tend to believe the rumour of there having been an early print out there somewhere with some of these scenes in.

One crew member in particular also swears blind that there was a longer version available in Australia at one point. I've never been able to validate that. Given that he worked on the film, he might have simply been at a workprint viewing or something, or seen some pre-release version - it's possible that what he saw was never publically available. Hasn't stopped me looking, but as the years go on, it seems less and less likely that I will ever turn anything up.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Tue May 18, 2010 7:07 pm

I read the back of the box and it mentions The Road Warrior, so it can't be an original release. I don't know if that is good or bad. The date on it is 1983.

.MAD MAX., PM me your address and I'll send it out to ya.

HUMVEE Driver
"I'll see you on the road!"
http://www.madmaxmodels.com
HUMVEE Driver

Postby lsttype » Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 pm

I have an original beta release that I grew up watching as well as a cable broadcast of MadMax, USA version. Both of them do not have any additional scenes.
86 GN interceptor killer
lsttype

Postby cruzn2the max » Sat May 22, 2010 1:19 am

i still have my ol beta player, i even had a beta movie camera 20 years ago but i put everything on vhs many years ago, due to it not working to good. i even remember the making of beyond thunderdome was on the tv and i taped it, there in boxes but i havnt looked at em for over 12 years...
cruzn2the max

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion