Blower switch, fuel injection and injection hood???

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Blower switch, fuel injection and injection hood???

Postby Wayne Jones » Wed Jul 14, 1999 4:23 pm

Does anyone know the proper names for the injection system, blower switch and injection scoop are. I read that the switch is a two speed rearend switch from and that the scoop is a scotts injector scoop used in the 60s, does anyone if this is true. As for the fuel injection system nobody seems to know. Also can any off these items still be purchased, or does anyone have the specifications for them.

Wayne Jones
Wayne Jones

Re: Blower switch, fuel injection and injection hood???

Postby Steve Pilant » Wed Jul 14, 1999 9:12 pm

In Reply to: Blower switch, fuel injection and injection hood??? posted by Wayne Jones on July 15, 1999 at 00:23:09:

: Does anyone know the proper names for the injection system, blower switch and injection scoop are. I read that the switch is a two speed rearend switch from and that the scoop is a scotts injector scoop used in the 60s, does anyone if this is true. As for the fuel injection system nobody seems to know. Also can any off these items still be purchased, or does anyone have the specifications for them.

: Wayne Jones

Wayne, the fuel injection system IS the Scott injector hat. The hat portion is the rectangular shaped box which is located under the scoop portion. This box is held atop a 6-71 by 6 bolts, sometimes beveled 45 degree bolts that mount flush. The Scott injector hat is also known as the Scott slot and Scott super slot in that the rectangular shaped venturi is similar to a mail slot. Similar to the term letter box used to describe movie aspect ratios. There are a variety of Scott units and some look a bit different than others depending on placement of the barrel valve and other factors. They are mostly sought after by nostalgia racers. I recently aquired one for my Interceptor replica that is complete except for the fuel pump. They are NOT CHEAP. The hose on the side opposite of Max with the 2 yellow bands is actually a Scott hose and part of the unit which carries fuel from the front barrel valve to a jet located in the center of the hat. The jets are easily switched to dial your ride in which is a great point of design. The Scott injector hat is a fairly simple and straightforward design, but as in all fuel injection hat systems, not for the novice to setup. They require a lot of fiddling with. The Scott unit also does not come with an air filter, so its use on a street driven motor is not recommended as engine life would be shorter. They were used for racing where air filtration was not an issue and engines were rebuilt often. The scoop portion sits atop the hat and is held in place with 4 screws - 2 in the back and 2 inside the maw. Some of the scoops say Scott Eng stamped in the very back which you can see in the scene in which Max comes up behind the truck in MM1 and when he comes up on the knee shootout scene. FIlm elements, DVD and LD are the best way to see this. It is at the very back on top of the scoop. You will also note the vertical bar at the back which, when rotated with the correct heim linkage rotates the plates inside the unit. I've also heard the fictional blower "switch" as being that of a truck differential switch. I know of another fellow who has both types of Scott injector hats and who is looking into the possibility of making a mold from his original units from which to make a replica. He might be willing to make a few if he ever gets the logistics worked out. This would certainly help those looking to do perhaps a fake setup like on the movie car with an empty 6-71 case with a nonfunctional Scott unit. Regs, Steve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Return to General Movie Discussion