For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: What is this? jet car?

Postby Mad Max RW » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Looks like a dragster.
"You wanna get out of here....you talk to me."
Mad Max RW

Postby roadwarriormfp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:06 am

seriz wrote:Maybe there's no connection at all, but, in a very old french fanzine (CINE ZINE ZONE 9) there's an article about Mad Max. At the end of this article there's some "Production notes". I don't know where they from, it's full of nice infos (the crew covered 190.000 km, 14 cars broken, 3 engines, 5 gear box, 57000 litres of gazoline) etc etc... The last lines are very strange, i translate them from french :

"At the begining, it was planned to use a rocket engine with solid fuel to go through 30 meters at 1600 km/h. This scene needed 3 days shooting for only 4 seconds on screen..."

So, i don't know what's about... 1600km/h seems very huge, and I cannot remember anything in the movie that could match. Maybe the death of the Nightrider, but that was no so fast. So, factual error of the fanzine ?!

Yes it refers to the Monaro... they apparently had bought 2 or 3 rocket boosters at auction.

Mad Max RW wrote:Looks like a dragster.

Er no... its not... its a rocket powered car.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Mad Max RW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:06 am

There are plenty of jet dragsters people have been driving for years. From what I can make out from the picture it's way too long and too low to the ground to drive on normal roads like a car. They only test those things like that on dry lake beds, drag strips and landing strips. My guess is they drove it once and never again. Or it blew up.
"You wanna get out of here....you talk to me."
Mad Max RW

Postby roadwarriormfp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:44 pm

I didnt say it was a road car?

I said it was a jet powered car...

Its not a dragster as a drag car is designed to get across a 1/4 mile as fast as possible.
A drag car would initially out excellerate a rocket powered car (watch top gear and see how Bugatti Veyron initially accellerates faster then EuroFighter)

That Jet car was designed to break absolute land speed records... nothing to do with drag racing.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:01 pm

roadwarriormfp wrote:I didnt say it was a road car?

I said it was a jet powered car...

Its not a dragster as a drag car is designed to get across a 1/4 mile as fast as possible.
A drag car would initially out excellerate a rocket powered car (watch top gear and see how Bugatti Veyron initially accellerates faster then EuroFighter)

That Jet car was designed to break absolute land speed records... nothing to do with drag racing.

Seen Jet cars on drag tracks. (Idiot spectator darned near walked behind them!)
However it was stated that they work better on half mile tracks... but there ARE Jet cars intended for Drag racing.
"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby roadwarriormfp » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 am

Yes so have I, but those cars used on a drag strip are not stream lined and look just like a "normal" top fuel drag car only with a jet engine.

The car in the back ground has fairings all over it as well as a tail to stabilise it.

roadwarriormfp wrote:The large fat section of the car would indicate a jet engine with centrifugal compresser (as used by a lot of early jet fighters in the 1950/60s).

The RAAF would typically sell off these old engines at various auctions and were redily available. The same type of engine can be seen on Aunties car in MadMax3...

You cant run a jet engine on alcohol (well ok you can, but it wouldnt last long). Jet fuel is basically kerosene so it is not a hard to come by product. Fuel is added after compression of the air and ignited using a glow plug. You can in fact run a jet engine on diesel as well for a limited amount of time.

Alcohol or high octane gasoline burns too quickly and too hot. It would also be dangerous to store 50000lts of fuel in those flimsy wings and would redily ignite in an accident because it has a low flash point.

These type of jet engines spool up MUCH slower then an axial flow jet engine and so TIME isnt a factor when they are trying for a absolute speed record.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby toecutter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:09 am

I like watching the Donut King jet car at Summernats - it is an old Bongo van or something similar.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby seriz » Fri May 31, 2013 12:23 pm

I just made a little interview with Stephen O'Hare and he said me that it was him and his father who provided this vehicle !

This is it :

http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land- ... ct500.html

http://www.cumminscars.com/classic-cars ... e-boys-toy
seriz

Postby Taipan » Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Mystery solved!
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:13 am

Great find!

Certainly in the movie it was a bit different in the nose section?
In the film it appears to have the nose wheel on out riggers closer to the cockpit? Unless it was faked under the blanket draped over the nose?
But certainly the rear section of the car is exactly as per the movie.

Glad to see its still around!
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

PreviousNext

Return to General Movie Discussion