Report: Weekend in Broken Hill

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Report: Weekend in Broken Hill

Postby Dave_H » Tue Jul 13, 1999 1:03 pm

Ok folks,

a quick 'tell' on my weekend at broken hill,

first of all, I took the train/coach countrylink from sydney (for monetary reasons), 15 hours each way! but the 50 former forests worth of trees that comprise a saturday morning herald kept me going as did tapes and "the great railway meat pie"

Sunday was overcast but after hiring a car I headed out to the pinnacles, they're suprisingly easy to find, just get a map from the visitor/information centre. and follow the road to "the historic pinnacles mine" which involves driving west out of town and taking a right turn onto pinnacles road.

I totally missed the turnoff but after backtracking to a creek causeway and then heading about 2 ks west again I turned right up a dirt road which appears to go up the plateau on the right of a hill. suddenly there IT was. I was looking out across the pinnacles paorama from a position about 20 metres below Max's hideout. After climbing the hill behind, I took about 3 trillion photos from where I assumed max hid. Its pretty obvious where the intercaptor was parked/drove off as theres only one but of hill that is not totally rocky

Theres still a big scar on the ground where the compound once stood that is easy to pick out from max's hideout. The rape scene is all smoke and mirrors, as max would have had to run at least 30 metres round the other side of the mountain to see the road in question. Thanks heaps to Cals site for having pictures there that I used to confirm what I was looking for.

I went down to the compound, got lost as its hard to find from the ground with all the bushes around, drove back to the base the hill, found it and drove back down.

Very Interesting, the moat's are easily identifyable as there is a distinct ring shaped sagging of the earth. and theres occasional BIG chunks of concrete lying around. The dust pan/field where the humungous addressed the compound is full of native bushes and regrowth (a result of natural environment resoration policys used around broken hill)

In light of the recent tanks theft I left everything as a found it and would reccomend that anyone else do the same to preserve this site. ie DONT pinch any of the stuff lying on the ground.

I left by the same road I came, ie the road that the truck enters on when the rig delivery scene happens. with the 90 degree turn left back to town.

drove to silverton stopping briefly at the silverton pub then on to the Mundi Mundi lookout, (the lookout sign can be seen in the wide screen version) as peter said, after cresting the hill, it does step down quite noticeably with the truck being parked on one step. The wrecks where max "zig zags" and also where the truck smash happens is about 150 metres down the hill from there over a second crest again.

I kept broken hill silver mining in business through once again taking excessive amounts of photos and finally after watching the sun set on the plain, Iwent back to the pub for a few clensing ales

Silverton pub is a must stop at for any Mad Max fan. The locals are friendly to talk to but get edgy discussing the recent tanks theft. Theres a significant angry attitude towards any blow ins percieved as wanting to souvineer any mad max stuff at the pub/locals expense be it photos or whatever. They see the internet as a problem bringing many ignorant souvineer hunters out and wanting to take photos of stuff that theyve collected themselves when the movie was there.

show an interest in max though and theres a lot of other interesting info from them to be had... I wont spoil it for you.

I couldnt be bothered going to stephens creek or the minindee interceptor crash site as I only had the car for 1 day.

On other non max stuff, check out a mine, art galleries and the freaky living desert sculpture site while youre there,

Dave
Dave_H

Re: Report: Weekend in Broken Hill

Postby Krazy Kritty » Thu Jul 22, 1999 1:36 am

In Reply to: Report: Weekend in Broken Hill posted by David Hilder on July 13, 1999 at 21:03:56:

: Ok folks,

: a quick 'tell' on my weekend at broken hill,

: first of all, I took the train/coach countrylink from sydney (for monetary reasons), 15 hours each way! but the 50 former forests worth of trees that comprise a saturday morning herald kept me going as did tapes and "the great railway meat pie"

: Sunday was overcast but after hiring a car I headed out to the pinnacles, they're suprisingly easy to find, just get a map from the visitor/information centre. and follow the road to "the historic pinnacles mine" which involves driving west out of town and taking a right turn onto pinnacles road.

: I totally missed the turnoff but after backtracking to a creek causeway and then heading about 2 ks west again I turned right up a dirt road which appears to go up the plateau on the right of a hill. suddenly there IT was. I was looking out across the pinnacles paorama from a position about 20 metres below Max's hideout. After climbing the hill behind, I took about 3 trillion photos from where I assumed max hid. Its pretty obvious where the intercaptor was parked/drove off as theres only one but of hill that is not totally rocky

: Theres still a big scar on the ground where the compound once stood that is easy to pick out from max's hideout. The rape scene is all smoke and mirrors, as max would have had to run at least 30 metres round the other side of the mountain to see the road in question. Thanks heaps to Cals site for having pictures there that I used to confirm what I was looking for.

: I went down to the compound, got lost as its hard to find from the ground with all the bushes around, drove back to the base the hill, found it and drove back down.

: Very Interesting, the moat's are easily identifyable as there is a distinct ring shaped sagging of the earth. and theres occasional BIG chunks of concrete lying around. The dust pan/field where the humungous addressed the compound is full of native bushes and regrowth (a result of natural environment resoration policys used around broken hill)

: In light of the recent tanks theft I left everything as a found it and would reccomend that anyone else do the same to preserve this site. ie DONT pinch any of the stuff lying on the ground.

: I left by the same road I came, ie the road that the truck enters on when the rig delivery scene happens. with the 90 degree turn left back to town.

:

: drove to silverton stopping briefly at the silverton pub then on to the Mundi Mundi lookout, (the lookout sign can be seen in the wide screen version) as peter said, after cresting the hill, it does step down quite noticeably with the truck being parked on one step. The wrecks where max "zig zags" and also where the truck smash happens is about 150 metres down the hill from there over a second crest again.

: I kept broken hill silver mining in business through once again taking excessive amounts of photos and finally after watching the sun set on the plain, Iwent back to the pub for a few clensing ales

: Silverton pub is a must stop at for any Mad Max fan. The locals are friendly to talk to but get edgy discussing the recent tanks theft. Theres a significant angry attitude towards any blow ins percieved as wanting to souvineer any mad max stuff at the pub/locals expense be it photos or whatever. They see the internet as a problem bringing many ignorant souvineer hunters out and wanting to take photos of stuff that theyve collected themselves when the movie was there.

: show an interest in max though and theres a lot of other interesting info from them to be had... I wont spoil it for you.

: I couldnt be bothered going to stephens creek or the minindee interceptor crash site as I only had the car for 1 day.

:

: On other non max stuff, check out a mine, art galleries and the freaky living desert sculpture site while youre there,

: Dave

Dear Dave

I have been planning to trip to the wasteland

for many months and to hear of the stolen tank

was tipical of the kind of luck that shadows me.

I'm currently building an interceptor replica

which I thought might interest the locals but am

now under an impression I may seem like a potential theif for souveniers.I would like to meet the owner of the Interceptor wreckage and

offer him a graghical interceptor illustration,

but reaching him (it seems) may not be advisable.

What do you think? And if so,where and how?

Krazy Kritty

Return to General Movie Discussion