Blowers and gas mileage

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Blowers and gas mileage

Postby The Other Lord Humongous » Thu Jul 29, 1999 10:12 am

Without creating another controversy in regard to the inner workings of blowers, etc, I was wondering, do blowers cause a car to consume gas at a much quicker rate? Say for instance a car normaly gets 20 mpg, with a blower installed, what would the mpg be reduced to?
The Other Lord Humongous

Re: Blowers and gas mileage

Postby andre N » Thu Jul 29, 1999 11:44 am

In Reply to: Blowers and gas mileage posted by The Other Lord Humongous on July 29, 1999 at 18:12:24:

: Do i dare? All things being equal, the car will get worse mileage because althought the car does not need the extra air most of the time, the blower is always pumping regardless of engine load. Maybe 20%-25% lower mileage?
andre N

Re: Blowers and gas mileage

Postby Steve Pilant » Thu Jul 29, 1999 12:14 pm

In Reply to: Blowers and gas mileage posted by The Other Lord Humongous on July 29, 1999 at 18:12:24:

: Without creating another controversy in regard to the inner workings of blowers, etc, I was wondering, do blowers cause a car to consume gas at a much quicker rate? Say for instance a car normaly gets 20 mpg, with a blower installed, what would the mpg be reduced to?

Part of it depends on the drivers ability to not use the right foot so much. I think most drivers in such a beast would be inclined to put their foot down and not even THINK of the gas mileage. The added weight up front alone as well as the drag created by having such a behemoth of metal towering vertically should reduce the fuel economy as well.

A smaller under hood profile Paxton type supercharger may yield different results fuel economy wise depending, again, on the size and weight of ones right foot. Regs, Steve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Return to General Movie Discussion