Gooses bike and Reverse Braking

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Gooses bike and Reverse Braking

Postby andre N » Fri Jul 23, 1999 2:00 am

Re the speedometer on Gooses bike. Doing a freeze frame and a count of the hash marks, I also make out an indicated 120.

120 what? I do not remember if I could make out MPH but I am sure it would be. The speedometer indicated up to about 140, that would be equivalent to about 89 MPH, ridiculously low for a bike of that power. My 700 would do 110 easily and my 1000 did 135 before I experienced too much "anxiety".

Re the interceptor, I previously posted my "discovery" in response to a "best scene " post. And I was disappointed nobody said "yeah, good call"!or "what, are you high?" Anyway, here goes.......

Max does not "reverse brake" in the opening of MM2!

For 15 years I asked myself why would he drive his car like that? You will get a tremendous amount of wear and tear on the clutch, tranny, synchros, driveshaft, axles and tires. Plus, it is terribly inefficient from a braking standpoint--little weight on rear tires means little available traction on that axle--ever try to stop your car using the emergency brake only?

Sure it looks cool, but Tire Warehouse and AAMCO(US transmission repair) are few and far between in the wasteland.

So...Max never does it. Watch closely, especially in frame-by-frame. What is happening is the interceptor is experiencing severe axle "tramp" or hop under braking as the L.side wheel hits dirt and the other pavement. You'll notice that unlike the great burnouts in MadMax, the smoke doesn't curl around the tires, but only comes from the bottom.

PLUS, that is why you see max in the next scene shift INTO reverse. I alway thought THAT was a flub until I discovered this 2 years ago.
andre N

Re: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking

Postby Snake Plissken » Fri Jul 23, 1999 2:31 am

In Reply to: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by AN on July 23, 1999 at 10:00:37:

Good Call!

: Re the speedometer on Gooses bike. Doing a freeze frame and a count of the hash marks, I also make out an indicated 120.

: 120 what? I do not remember if I could make out MPH but I am sure it would be. The speedometer indicated up to about 140, that would be equivalent to about 89 MPH, ridiculously low for a bike of that power. My 700 would do 110 easily and my 1000 did 135 before I experienced too much "anxiety".

: Re the interceptor, I previously posted my "discovery" in response to a "best scene " post. And I was disappointed nobody said "yeah, good call"!or "what, are you high?" Anyway, here goes.......

: Max does not "reverse brake" in the opening of MM2!

: For 15 years I asked myself why would he drive his car like that? You will get a tremendous amount of wear and tear on the clutch, tranny, synchros, driveshaft, axles and tires. Plus, it is terribly inefficient from a braking standpoint--little weight on rear tires means little available traction on that axle--ever try to stop your car using the emergency brake only?

: Sure it looks cool, but Tire Warehouse and AAMCO(US transmission repair) are few and far between in the wasteland.

: So...Max never does it. Watch closely, especially in frame-by-frame. What is happening is the interceptor is experiencing severe axle "tramp" or hop under braking as the L.side wheel hits dirt and the other pavement. You'll notice that unlike the great burnouts in MadMax, the smoke doesn't curl around the tires, but only comes from the bottom.

: PLUS, that is why you see max in the next scene shift INTO reverse. I alway thought THAT was a flub until I discovered this 2 years ago.
Snake Plissken

Postby Anotherguy » Fri Jul 23, 1999 2:31 am

In Reply to: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by AN on July 23, 1999 at 10:00:37:

What are you, high?

: Re the speedometer on Gooses bike. Doing a freeze frame and a count of the hash marks, I also make out an indicated 120.

: 120 what? I do not remember if I could make out MPH but I am sure it would be. The speedometer indicated up to about 140, that would be equivalent to about 89 MPH, ridiculously low for a bike of that power. My 700 would do 110 easily and my 1000 did 135 before I experienced too much "anxiety".

: Re the interceptor, I previously posted my "discovery" in response to a "best scene " post. And I was disappointed nobody said "yeah, good call"!or "what, are you high?" Anyway, here goes.......

: Max does not "reverse brake" in the opening of MM2!

: For 15 years I asked myself why would he drive his car like that? You will get a tremendous amount of wear and tear on the clutch, tranny, synchros, driveshaft, axles and tires. Plus, it is terribly inefficient from a braking standpoint--little weight on rear tires means little available traction on that axle--ever try to stop your car using the emergency brake only?

: Sure it looks cool, but Tire Warehouse and AAMCO(US transmission repair) are few and far between in the wasteland.

: So...Max never does it. Watch closely, especially in frame-by-frame. What is happening is the interceptor is experiencing severe axle "tramp" or hop under braking as the L.side wheel hits dirt and the other pavement. You'll notice that unlike the great burnouts in MadMax, the smoke doesn't curl around the tires, but only comes from the bottom.

: PLUS, that is why you see max in the next scene shift INTO reverse. I alway thought THAT was a flub until I discovered this 2 years ago.
Anotherguy

upon further inspection

Postby TheDarkOne » Fri Jul 23, 1999 4:15 am

I feel like a tool for watching this scene so many times in slow mo, but who cares. Anyways, it looks like the bike is in KPH and the last digit on the speedo is 240 (or about 150 mph I think). It looks like it increases by incriments of 20kph, which puts Goose at 180kph, not too shabby!!!! That's about 110-115mph if I can remember correctly.
TheDarkOne

Re: upon further inspection

Postby andre N » Fri Jul 23, 1999 5:09 am

In Reply to: upon further inspection posted by TheDarkOne on July 23, 1999 at 12:15:04:

Well if you are a tool, call me Wrench. It took me a couple of time of frame-by on MM2 to "confirm" the axle hop. I'll have to get my copy of MM1 back and double check.

You may be right! For the record, 1 KPH=.62 MPH.

BTW. In the scene where goose starts the KZ, I BELIEVE they cut the scene a bit "off". At the instant you see his left foot push down hard on the shift lever, you hear the motor start, usually you want to start the bike in neutral,and you would do that by usually by a light tap down from 2nd or a click up from first. "its just a movie", but, as a motorcyclist, you notice those sorts of things. Like the sound of Big Bopper lurching while Charlie and Roop fight over driving duties: Correct in Aus version, off in US.
andre N

Postby Grant Hodgson » Fri Jul 23, 1999 9:46 pm

In Reply to: Re: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by Snake Plissken on July 23, 1999 at 10:31:05:

Ok max in max2 is not reverse braking as we know, although a toploader and nine inch can handle this sort of punishment on the rarest occasion.

what He is doing is actually pulling the handbrake on, thats the lever on the left side of the steering column that you see him release before reversing up!
Grant Hodgson

Postby Steve Pilant » Sat Jul 24, 1999 1:34 am

In Reply to: Re: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by Grant Hodgson on July 24, 1999 at 05:46:02:

: Ok max in max2 is not reverse braking as we know, although a toploader and nine inch can handle this sort of punishment on the rarest occasion.

: what He is doing is actually pulling the handbrake on, thats the lever on the left side of the steering column that you see him release before reversing up!

Has anyone here ever actually tried putting a vehicle in reverse while going forward? I did with my fathers VW van in New Orleans back in 1979, but it was by accident as the result of a missed shift. I'll never forget the reaction. There was a very loud grinding explosive noise with an associated heavy jolt from the rear of the vehicle. As I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw pieces of metal and debris scattering on the road behind me as the clutch pedal instantly fell limp to and flush with the floor. Meanwhile the engine is overrevving, but still functional. Needless to say, I bought a new transaxle for my missed shift. So kiddies, the emergency brake can make for some interesting maneuves when properly used, but as far as reverse braking - don't try this at home... regs, Steve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Postby andre N » Sat Jul 24, 1999 1:54 am

In Reply to: Re: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by Grant Hodgson on July 24, 1999 at 05:46:02:

Really?The handbrake? I wonder why he would do that? Main brakes out? I never noticed. I will have to check this out. Thanks Grant.
andre N

Postby andre N » Sat Jul 24, 1999 1:56 am

In Reply to: Re: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by Steve Pilant on July 24, 1999 at 09:34:24:

Not with MY car. Although a few rentals have been stress-tested by me. They passed.
andre N

Postby Grant Hodgson » Sun Jul 25, 1999 1:25 am

In Reply to: Re: Gooses bike and Reverse Braking posted by Steve Pilant on July 24, 1999 at 09:34:24:

I agree with Steve, I have done this, and it does work, but if you do not do it correctly every thing ends up on the ground, bits of diff, bits of gearbox, tail shaft etc, there is a slight trick to doing it, and you have to be quick, and if you do it wrong, you usually do NOT get a second chance with the same driveline you had before trying it, so do it in a junker for the dump only other wise suffer the hip pocket..

have fun!!!
Grant Hodgson

Return to General Movie Discussion