the gyro pilot

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

the gyro pilot

Postby matt » Thu Jul 22, 1999 6:26 am

hey evryone.im 15 and im new to mad max and i have to say i think all 3 movies kick. i recntly rented them all at my local video store becuase i like post-apocolyptic type stuff. well anyways my question is this, you know how in the second one theres that gyro pilot, right? well anyway at the end of it it says he became a leader of those poeple with all the fuel. well anways in thunderdome what happened? i mean he stole max's stuff at the begining, there was nothing about those people they saved, and max and he acted like they had never none each other befroe. am i just mistaken about all this or what? i will admit ive only seen the movies once each but im pretty sure my question is right. any response will be apreciated
m.Ratcliff
matt

Re: the gyro pilot

Postby TheDarkOne » Thu Jul 22, 1999 6:45 am

In Reply to: the gyro pilot posted by matt on July 22, 1999 at 14:26:41:

First let me say welcome to the world of Mad Max. About the gyro captain: many people will tell you that he is not the same character. They guy in Thunderdome is supposed to be a different guy than the Gyro Captain in Mad Max 2. I think that they are wrong, I believe it is the same character. About 15 years passed between Mad Max 2 and Thunderdome, and Max only knew the gyro captain for about 4 days, so it is not unreasonable to think that they forgot each other. I can't remember people that I met last week let alone 15 years ago (even teammate of mine). Plus he was attacking Max from behind so he couldn't get a good look, not to mention Max wasn't in the interceptor and he was all wrapped up in scarves and stuff, how could the gyro captain have known it was him? Also at the end when the meet up again in Bartertown the gyro captain looks like he kind of recognizes Max and feels guilty for selling the camels and whatnot. Then at the end they look like they finally recognize each other and that is Max doesn't kill him on the spot. Anyways that is my 2 cents.
TheDarkOne

Postby Rockatansky » Thu Jul 22, 1999 7:19 am

In Reply to: the gyro pilot posted by matt on July 22, 1999 at 14:26:41:

In the two different films Bruce Spence is a different character.In the second he is the Gyro Captain but in Beyond Thunderdome he is Jebidiah,so in fact they haven't met before (It is ridiculous!).
Rockatansky

Postby Rockatansky » Thu Jul 22, 1999 7:27 am

In Reply to: Re: the gyro pilot posted by TheDarkOne on July 22, 1999 at 14:45:37:

If that is the case why do Max and Jebidiah not acknowledge eachother at the end of the film.When Max sees him he says "you ,It's your lucky day,You've got a plane,It might save your life" That certainly is not a way in which you acknowledge a friend.Also in MM2 Max and the Gyro captain have a close relationship "we're partners!",I'm sorry but it just doesn't make any sense what so ever!

Why the change in name?

Where did he acquire the plane?

Didn't he live out the end of his days with the great Northern tribe?

------There is no recollection of any memories of each other from either character so I believe it to be very unlikely.
Rockatansky

Postby TheDarkOne » Thu Jul 22, 1999 9:12 am

In Reply to: Re: the gyro pilot posted by Rockatansky on July 22, 1999 at 15:27:31:

Ah this is like the which star trek is better debate (wrath of kahn or search for spock). By the way, it's Jedidiah, I think, not jebidiah. But in Mad Max 2 he never says his name, nobody does, they just call him the gyro captain, so his name could very well be Jedidiah and they just never mention it. At the end, Max says "you, it's your lucky day...." I think he recognizes him and that is why he didn't kill him (as well as having the plane). There were never really friends, Max never says they were partners. He didn't hate the gyro captain or anything, but I never got the impression that they were friends. At the end of Mad Max 2, Max smiles, but I always thought he was laughing at the whole situation, not smiling at the the gyro captain. If they were friends why did Max go with him, or why didn't they stick together? Oh, at the end it just says that the gyro captian became the new leader, the kid grew up to lead the great northern tribe. I think the gyro captain just left the group later. Besides why would he not be the gyro captian if he flys in both movies. He could have gotten the plane from anywhere. How did Max get the truck, he just took it from a dead guy, that's how jedidiah got the plane. Anyways, it's my opinion, I have debated it several times (not on this board though), but nobody has to believe me. I like to debate stuff in fact, it makes it more interesting than a bunch of people agreeing on something.
TheDarkOne

Postby Sycophant Sam » Thu Jul 22, 1999 10:42 am

In Reply to: Re: the gyro pilot posted by TheDarkOne on July 22, 1999 at 17:12:07:

Yes! YES, YES, YES! You are correct, sir! There has never been a more correct person any where at any time in the history of the world. Give that man a cigar, or whatever else he wants. HE IS RIGHT! All of you others, you are sub-human rejects who can only aspire(?) to the greatness of The Dark One! I LOVE THE DARK ONE!
Sycophant Sam

Postby Joey Yesmann » Thu Jul 22, 1999 10:44 am

In Reply to: Re: the gyro pilot posted by TheDarkOne on July 22, 1999 at 14:45:37:

Yep. Derk One is cerrect. I'm an Ozie, an I know when I sees me a jenneeus. Give that man an innercepter.
Joey Yesmann

Postby Bandwagon Bill » Thu Jul 22, 1999 10:46 am

The religion of The Dark One will be a reality! Unite Brothers of Rightness under the banner of The Dark One! He is right, and all else pales and dies under his All-knowing gaze! LOVE THOSE WHO ARE ETETRNALLY RIGHT!
Bandwagon Bill

Return to General Movie Discussion