Mixing Fuel

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Mixing Fuel

Postby Jason Carlton » Wed Jul 21, 1999 12:19 am

Max checks the tanks on the Mack when he first finds it, presumably to get its fuel. What I wanna know is since the Interceptor portrayed as so high performance (600hp), would make no difference what kind of fuel grades were dumped in it to make it run. Or would any supercharged engine run like crap if you mixed in diesel, unleaded, etc. I would have to assume that since Max was traveling the outback for a great period of time, the Interceptor was subjected to countless fuel mixtures.
Jason Carlton

Re: Mixing Fuel

Postby Wayne Jones » Wed Jul 21, 1999 1:07 am

In Reply to: Mixing Fuel posted by Jason Carlton on July 21, 1999 at 08:19:16:

: Max checks the tanks on the Mack when he first finds it, presumably to get its fuel. What I wanna know is since the Interceptor portrayed as so high performance (600hp), would make no difference what kind of fuel grades were dumped in it to make it run. Or would any supercharged engine run like crap if you mixed in diesel, unleaded, etc. I would have to assume that since Max was traveling the outback for a great period of time, the Interceptor was subjected to countless fuel mixtures.

Yeah, I guess the only reason for cheaking for fuel is maybe to trade or or incase he needed a trade of vehicle when the unleaded ran out. You see its imposably to run a mixed fuels cause diesal, isnt explodes under preasure not by a spark. And supercharged engines are teprmental aspecialy ones with fuel injection so you would have problems even starting up. But hey its Mad Max if they ran out of food they eat the dogs and if they ran out of fuel they use pig shit or was that methane. While on the subject of fuel crap has anyone seen Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Well see when the truck is chasing the kid on the motorbike and it crashes witha impressive explosion, because of the leaking fuel and shorting wires. Bull crap the fuel may as well be water because its not diesel is not dangerouse unless compressed.

Wayne Jones
Wayne Jones

Postby Jason Carlton » Wed Jul 21, 1999 1:18 am

In Reply to: Re: Mixing Fuel posted by Wayne Jones on July 21, 1999 at 09:07:13:

: : Max checks the tanks on the Mack when he first finds it, presumably to get its fuel. What I wanna know is since the Interceptor portrayed as so high performance (600hp), would make no difference what kind of fuel grades were dumped in it to make it run. Or would any supercharged engine run like crap if you mixed in diesel, unleaded, etc. I would have to assume that since Max was traveling the outback for a great period of time, the Interceptor was subjected to countless fuel mixtures.

: Yeah, I guess the only reason for cheaking for fuel is maybe to trade or or incase he needed a trade of vehicle when the unleaded ran out. You see its imposably to run a mixed fuels cause diesal, isnt explodes under preasure not by a spark. And supercharged engines are teprmental aspecialy ones with fuel injection so you would have problems even starting up. But hey its Mad Max if they ran out of food they eat the dogs and if they ran out of fuel they use pig shit or was that methane. While on the subject of fuel crap has anyone seen Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Well see when the truck is chasing the kid on the motorbike and it crashes witha impressive explosion, because of the leaking fuel and shorting wires. Bull crap the fuel may as well be water because its not diesel is not dangerouse unless compressed.

: Wayne Jones

So what kinda fuel would the Interceptor need?
Jason Carlton

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 21, 1999 2:31 am

Max has two tanks on the back of the interceptor and the normal gas tank right? Max is also a smart guy, he could have rigged up the tanks like a ford f250 and had a switch between them. He could turn off the supercharger and run a long ass way on deisel, then use high octane or normal gas with the suercharger. The grade doesn't matter, it just helps increase performance (you can put 79 octane in a ferrari and it'll run, but it'll be like a honda accord). As for deisel, I don't quite know. I know that they make most deisel cars with a turbo for added boost, but a turbo is different than a supercharger. It would make sense to run the car off deisel sometimes becasue you can get like 700 miles to a tank.
TheDarkOne

Postby Steve Pilant » Wed Jul 21, 1999 2:45 am

In Reply to: Re: Mixing Fuel posted by Jason Carlton on July 21, 1999 at 09:18:44:

: So what kinda fuel would the Interceptor need?

Amoco premium white gas with 2 cans of 104+ octane boost. :-) Regs, Steve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Postby andre N » Wed Jul 21, 1999 9:42 am

It-is-just-a-movie. (IIJAM) I think i will use that from now on. I think we all know that, but some of these question are a little bizarre.

I'm sure nobody put in as much thought as we all are right now.

Without going into an essay........

You can't switch fuels(gas or diesel) on normal production car. Gas is spark ignited from 7:1 to 10.5:1 compression rations, diesels ignite at about 20-24:1 ratios under pressure (heat).

Burning diesel in a car would probably result in scant power and tons of smoke. Burning gas in a diesel would probably not even ignite (although I'm not trying) but if it did it would be all wrong.

There are a few military vehicles that can run both, I expect they use some sort of blowoff valve to alter the compression ratio.

Supercharger? A supercharger is an engine driven turbocharger (or more correctly, a turbo is an exhaust driven supercharger) that crams more air than normal air pressure would into the cylinder , you then have to alter the fuel delivery vs a std engine to take advantage of it. You also need to run a lower compression ration than stock because the supe wil effectively increase it.

Other than a kinky setup on a Toyota MR2, you can not disengage and engage a supercharger.

Grades, yes, you can run different octanes in your car, octane does NOTHING for power, it delay the onset of ping or worse knock. by delaying this later and later in the cycle, you can get more out of the gas. Many modern cars have knock sensors which allow them to adapt to the grade of fuel by altering the timing. In the australian outback with 80's technology no such luck.

Not to mention that a nitromethane ("sucks nitro!") would be really finicky to tune run etc.

So IIJAM, and it wouldn't work.
andre N

Postby AKR » Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:33 am

In Reply to: Re: Mixing Fuel posted by TheDarkOne on July 21, 1999 at 10:31:28:

You can't just dump diesel into a gas motor and think "Oh gee, I can get 50 miles to the gallon." Diesel is like jet fuel, it requires super high compression to ignite. That is why diesels do not have spark plugs, they have GLOW plugs, which are required to warm up. A diesel, if running poorly, can even keep running when you turn the key off because they run on the principle of high compression, which as you may know, high compression causes high heat and that is how a diesel keeps running.

: Max has two tanks on the back of the interceptor and the normal gas tank right? Max is also a smart guy, he could have rigged up the tanks like a ford f250 and had a switch between them. He could turn off the supercharger and run a long ass way on deisel, then use high octane or normal gas with the suercharger. The grade doesn't matter, it just helps increase performance (you can put 79 octane in a ferrari and it'll run, but it'll be like a honda accord). As for deisel, I don't quite know. I know that they make most deisel cars with a turbo for added boost, but a turbo is different than a supercharger. It would make sense to run the car off deisel sometimes becasue you can get like 700 miles to a tank.
AKR

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:47 am

In Reply to: Re: Mixing Fuel posted by AKR on July 21, 1999 at 18:33:19:

You can if it's a movie.
TheDarkOne

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:51 am

In Reply to: Re: Mixing Fuel posted by AKR on July 21, 1999 at 18:33:19:

: You can't just dump diesel into a gas motor and think "Oh gee, I can get 50 miles to the gallon."

You can it it's a movie
TheDarkOne

Postby AKR » Thu Jul 22, 1999 10:25 am

In Reply to: Re: Mixing Fuel posted by TheDarkOne on July 21, 1999 at 18:47:25:

: You can if it's a movie.

YAAHH!!!
AKR

Return to General Movie Discussion