The Refinery - Issue...

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: The Refinery - Issue...

Postby PL-12Airtruk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Look closely at the Tanker - theres a Seven Sisters logo on it.

Also, razor wire is hard to get through if folks are shooting cross bows at you.

Best way into the compound would be to creep in through the Feral Kids tunnel at night,
breach whatever locks are there, use stealth to "retire" the guards and then have everyone
else follow in...
Looks like I got me some guzzoline eh....V-8?
PL-12Airtruk

Postby Turbofurball » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:13 am

Though stealth wasn't exactly their strong suit, lol

Also, without lights at night you could wander all over for hours looking for the tunnel, which might only be big enough for a child ...
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:23 am

We have to respect that, as viewers, it's comparatively easy for us to analyse what's there and speculate attack plans.

It's also worth noting that the whole resounding point behind the marauders is that they have lost their humanity and have become like animals. Humongous is the only real tactician in the group. There are supposed to be bloodthirsty, swarming, and chaotic.

Plus the focus of the plot isn't getting into the refinery alive, it's getting out of it.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Turbofurball » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:55 am

MWFV8 wrote:We have to respect that, as viewers, it's comparatively easy for us to analyse what's there and speculate attack plans.

It's also worth noting that the whole resounding point behind the marauders is that they have lost their humanity and have become like animals. Humongous is the only real tactician in the group. There are supposed to be bloodthirsty, swarming, and chaotic.

Plus the focus of the plot isn't getting into the refinery alive, it's getting out of it.

This place needs a like button.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby zerothreethirtyone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:54 pm

In a defensive position without any outside support, resupply and / or reinforcement, all it takes to overcome that position is to lay siege and play the waiting game.

Eventually the defenders will use up all of their available resources within the defended position (food, potable water, medicines, ammo, etc) and will be forced to surrender or break the siege to survive. The offensive force can continue the siege while sending out patrols for supplies to sustain the siege.

In a defensive position, human waste becomes a significant sanitary issue as time goes on. The decaying remains of deceased defenders is also a sanitary issue as well as a morale issue for surviving defenders. The refinery being a small compound, these items can become a major problem in a desert environment. A healthy force fights better than a sick force.

Small defended compounds make it hard to have space for crops and or livestock for sustainment. It's also hard to cache large amounts of supplies in small defensive positions for prolonged sustainment.

Ammunition becomes critical as it get used up to thwart attacks. Humongous and Wez as former military men would know to use "probing" attacks on the defenders to get them to use vital ammo to repel these assaults. Having the supply of fuel along with the capability using it as a flamethrower helps the defense, but if memory serves me, most of the static weapons put the defenders in somewhat exposed positions to accurate enemy fire.

Razor wire and / or minefield defense wouldn't be much of an obstacle for former military men like Wez and Humongous to overcome either. Razor wire emplacements and minefields also require upkeep to maintain (as do many other defensive measures), which means someone has to go out from the security of the defensive position to patch damaged wire and / or replace blown up mines.

The reality of the refinery to those defending it has to be that it is a temporary location. The desert is a hard environment to survive in with resources. As your supplies dwindle, so do your options.

Given the choice, I'd much rather be on the offensive than the defensive.

Having spent most of my adult life in the military, my wife has to remind me frequently that I'm watching a movie for entertainment and not as a tactical scenario for me to dissect.
zerothreethirtyone

Postby TheWarriorMax » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 pm

zerothreethirtyone wrote:Having spent most of my adult life in the military, my wife has to remind me frequently that I'm watching a movie for entertainment and not as a tactical scenario for me to dissect.

So you're not fun to watch movies with? :)
TheWarriorMax

Postby zerothreethirtyone » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:15 am

TheWarriorMax wrote:
zerothreethirtyone wrote:

So you're not fun to watch movies with? :)

No, I *think* I'm fun to watch movies with. :D
zerothreethirtyone

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion