WASTELAND RONIN

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

WASTELAND RONIN

Postby JMZ1964 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:24 pm

I've been a Mad Max fan since I was a teen in the 1970s, and I've been a long time lurker at this here board. FURY ROAD inspired me to write an essay about a lifetime of fandom of the films, and I illustrated the essay with some of my cartoons:

http://www.james-baker.com/news/wasteland-ronin/

I've linked many times to madmaxmovies.com in the essay. Thanks for all the info!
JMZ1964

Re: WASTELAND RONIN

Postby Taipan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Very interesting read, with a lot of references, that's always good!

I have one point about your criticism of Beyond Thunderdome and the lack of its main antagonist. In a 1985 interview, George Miller explained that Aunty Entity clings onto the old world by rebuilding it in the form of Bartertown. The same way Max clings onto the old world mentally. Except that Aunty's will to protect it turned her into a villain and a tyrant. "I'll do anything to protect it".
Max can't let go of the past mentally, but as Miller explains - if he went to rebuild the civilization with The Lost Tribe - he'd cling onto that in the same way as Aunty did with Bartertown. And he'd become a tyrant too.

That's why Aunty isn't really a villain, doesn't kill Max at the end and recognizes parts of herself in Max. "Ain't we a pair, raggedy man". She's just an extension of what would happen to Max in the long run.

Too bad it's not really explained that well in the movie because that concept is pretty cool.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby JMZ1964 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah, I had read that 1985 interview and Miller's thoughts about one generation's heroes being the tyrants of tomorrow. It is a great observation. I guess it is kind of a thread throughout the MM series in that HUMUNGUS and IMMORTAN JOE were apparently ex military; Their leadership qualities from the old world can easily go awry in the new world. But not always, as PAPPAGALLO seemed to be ex military too.

I would have liked it if that thematic idea had been dramatised better in Thunderdome.The movie feels so close to being something truly great.. But my point was a small one; just that if Aunty had at least one scary henchman (Angry Andersen was not as imposing as he could have been) it may have worked better.

Taipan, thanks for reading and thanks too for your thoughts.
JMZ1964

Postby tehCal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:25 pm

Pretty sure the early scripts for MM2 describe Pappagallo as an executive for Seven Sisters Oil, the OPEC stand-in from the MM universe. I think the novelisation briefly mentions it too, I am probably wrong though.
tehCal

Postby JMZ1964 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 pm

tehCal, oh, I did not know that. It makes sense though. Thanks for that info.
JMZ1964

Postby AquaCola » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:09 am

Love the cartoons! Will read the full thing tonight.
AquaCola

Postby JMZ1964 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:11 am

AquaCola, thanks for reading.
JMZ1964

Return to General Movie Discussion