MM1: Why attack the hot rod?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

MM1: Why attack the hot rod?

Postby tlemire9 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:20 pm

In the original MAD MAX, the Toecutter's gang are in the town to collect the Night Rider's casket. There's general hooliganism, and then someone gets thrown out a window and the name of the "Night Rider" is invoked.

Toecutter responds by abandoning the Night Rider's casket by running hurriedly to the main street of the town. Why? Is he angry that someone has dared to utter the name of the Night Rider?

Then when the Hot Rodder and his girlfriend speed away, the entire gang is off in pursuit for a rampage of rape and violence.

Why? I've never understood the dramatic shift from horsing around in the town to going on a violent spree. I realize we need to establish that this gang is a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs, but what flipped the switch here?

Can anyone shed light on this?
tlemire9

Re: MM1: Why attack the hot rod?

Postby Taipan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:31 pm

I think once Toecutter heard the Nightrider call he ran in to check what's going on. Got hit by the Hot Rodder on his way and called for the rest to get that guy.

I think the TC gang had a tendency to spin out of control for no reason at all, check out the burnout they make when they're winding up. It's the same one they made at the hot rodder's wreckage. Once they go crazy the Toecutter steps in to direct their rage. I don't know, that's just what I'm thinking.

Speaking of the attack itself:
I can't believe the driver didn't slam the brakes or at least swivel around to knock any of those guys off. It would've been piss easy to lose them even with his beat up car.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby tlemire9 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:39 pm

Makes sense. There's such a cloud of dust, it escaped me that the Hot Rodder had clipped Toecutter at all. (And I've seen this movie at least 10 times!)

I've heard it said that biker gangs like the Hell's Angels don't go looking for trouble, but they put themselves in situations so that if someone even seems to provoke them, they take the opportunity to go wild. Clearly, that's what's being suggested here.

Another question, though: Near the end of the movie, when MAX is interrogating the mechanic by the seashore, he tells him that he will say some names, the mechanic will say Yes or No. He mentions "The Night Rider," and the mechanic says Yes.

But the Night Rider is dead. Even Max knows that this was the Code 3's identity, because the Night Rider was on the police radio and couldn't stop declaring his name.

So what gives? Continuity error, or am I missing something?
tlemire9

Postby Taipan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Maybe he knows the name because Toecutter can't shut up about him, the same way he was talking about the Nightrider to the train station guy?
After all the gang left him a bike to fix so he must've picked up on some names they were mentioning.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby TheWarriorMax » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I always felt like Toecutter was going to tell the gang down to calm down, that in that situation he didn't like with the way they were acting up. Similar to how when he tells them to take away the train station man but not be rough about it.

Then because the hot rod hits him, or I always thought just came close to hitting him, kicked up dust at him, and ran like that, etc., it set him off to pursue. I believe if the hot rod couple hadn't run, Toecutter would have told the gang to cut the crap and nothing much worse would've happened.
TheWarriorMax

Postby roadwarriormfp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 am

More then likely because of several things:

They ran (ok drove off) and hit the toecutter.

Had they sat still or maybe quietly slinked away?
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby themanw/oaname » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:35 am

i figured the mechanic worked on all the TC gang bikes, and out of loyalty or threat, wouldnt say anything until max put a car on top of him.

that's how he knew everyone in the gang.
themanw/oaname

Postby Turbofurball » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:51 am

Toecutter may well have thought the couple were going off to tell the Bronze what was going on, too
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:27 am

tlemire9 wrote:Why? I've never understood the dramatic shift from horsing around in the town to going on a violent spree. I realize we need to establish that this gang is a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs, but what flipped the switch here?

It's because the story is contrived to do just that. Show the gang are bloodthirsty thugs who are so borderline feral they have prey drive. Doesn't get much scarier than a gang of people no longer acting like humans.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby MFP_1138 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:32 pm

MWFV8 wrote:
tlemire9 wrote:Why? I've never understood the dramatic shift from horsing around in the town to going on a violent spree. I realize we need to establish that this gang is a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs, but what flipped the switch here?

It's because the story is contrived to do just that. Show the gang are bloodthirsty thugs who are so borderline feral they have prey drive. Doesn't get much scarier than a gang of people no longer acting like humans.

I've generally believed this also. I really don't think it would take much else to push the gang over the edge and have them chase down the kids. The car was in pretty nice shape and they probably wanted to destroy it just for the sake of doing it. As they said in The Dark Knight...."Some men just want to watch the world burn". They may have even been compelled to destroy it out of fear that the kids would alert the Bronze...Bubba may have hinted at this later at the Halls of Justice when he said the car damage may have been "the result of an anxiety".
"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
MFP_1138

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion