Question for the Australians

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Question for the Australians

Postby andre N » Tue Jul 20, 1999 5:07 am

This site mentions that the yellow XB was a victoria police interceptor. I also notice that the car has a hood that looks like a modified GT hood and the driving lights that I have seen on GTs.

Would a police car have that? If not, were these added later?

In the US, most police car since the late 50's were based on special "police package" versions of civilian car with the larger or largest motor option along with heavy duty cooling,electrical, suspension etc components. They were almost never (with the exception of some "pursuit specials" like the mustang or Camaro) based on the "sexy" version of a particular model.

What is the story in this case?
andre N

Re: Question for the Australians

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 21, 1999 2:19 am

In Reply to: Question for the Australians posted by AN on July 20, 1999 at 13:07:32:

You don't see many "sexy" cars because they don't make a GT option for a Chevy caprice, ford crown vic or dodge intrepid. Any camero, mustang or firebird is going to be the "sexy" edition.
TheDarkOne

Postby andre N » Wed Jul 21, 1999 10:08 am

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by TheDarkOne on July 21, 1999 at 10:19:22:

While I was hoping for an answer to my question,I'll guess I'll respond to your "correction".

To clarify P.Barton says the Max XB 4dr was a copcar (I'll take that for truth till I hear otherwise)

It appears (by both Big Bopper and the Australian falcon WWW pages) that the dual scoop (disregading the additional blister/L-88 riser) and the driving lights were GT options.

THAT seems to be unusual on a police package.

Re my "sexy" comment: Going back many years there were several sexy or upgraded models of a particular car that you could not get in a police version. IE ford galaxies had 427 cubic inch motor, XL trim packages, fancy chrome detailing (the "sexy" version if you will) that you cold not get in a cop car.

Nowadays, as car production has been simplified, there is not the plethora of options you could once get.

However, your comment about the "upgraded" version is not true, for example, the Chevy Impala SS ( a rebadged caprice) was not available to the cops--yes they got the good bits (motor/susension) but they did not get the cool alloy wheels, the special grille/taillight or window treatment package.

Also the Dodge intrepid in offered in an ES version that also was not available as a police car.

Lastly, the "sexy factor" also applies to the mustang, during the approx 9 years of the mustang as a bona fide "police package", if was NOT offered in the "Sexy/GT" version with the "body cladding/fog lights/louvered taillifghts

but it did have the motor/suspension of the GT.
andre N

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 21, 1999 11:11 am

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by AN on July 21, 1999 at 18:08:33:

About the interceptor, I don't know why it was a GT? The car was in service a long time ago so I have no idea about why they used a GT instead of a normal car. It may have been odd to see a car like that as a police car, but there are exceptions: the Lotus Esprit V8 interceptor in the UK, the M5 in Georgia, or how about our own Apsen police force with brand spanking new SAAB 9-5's. Sorry I couldn't answer your question any better.

Okay, the Dodge Intrepid ES or the Impalla SS are not cop cars because the police don't need alloy wheels or window treatment packages. They go with the upgraded engines, suspension (if possible) and exhaust, they don't go for any extra's or luxury features. Like the Mustang GT, they don't need fog lights or any extras like that.

TheDarkOne

Postby roadwarriormfp » Wed Jul 21, 1999 11:57 am

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by TheDarkOne on July 21, 1999 at 19:11:34:

: About the interceptor, I don't know why it was a GT? The car was in service a long time ago so I have no idea about why they used a GT instead of a normal car. It may have been odd to see a car like that as a police car, but there are exceptions: the Lotus Esprit V8 interceptor in the UK, the M5 in Georgia, or how about our own Apsen police force with brand spanking new SAAB 9-5's. Sorry I couldn't answer your question any better.

: Okay, the Dodge Intrepid ES or the Impalla SS are not cop cars because the police don't need alloy wheels or window treatment packages. They go with the upgraded engines, suspension (if possible) and exhaust, they don't go for any extra's or luxury features. Like the Mustang GT, they don't need fog lights or any extras like that.

:

The Drivin lights and bonnet scoops where not GT options...they were standard on GTs...the GS model Falcon were also equipped with bonnet scoops and drivin lights..the only way to tell them apart (apart from the GT Badges) is to look at the Exhaust tips and rear stone tray..the GT Falcon had chromed rectangular tips...while the GS had normal tips (circular)....which is what Maxs yellow intercepter has....
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby andre N » Wed Jul 21, 1999 1:51 pm

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by Slippery Sam on July 21, 1999 at 19:57:47:

OK I am not trying to beat this to death. IIJAM!

My point was....... cop cars GENERALLY being sedate on the outside, and P.Barton saying that it was a copcar, leads me to ask......

was the XB really a cop car.

With the exception of the M5 and Lotus V* turbo (yikes) mentioned by the dark one, Virtually all US cop cars were "police package" from the factory. Did the ford of australia make police package cars?

lastly, I must say that the Aussies had some VERY COOL cars. After looking at the falcon GT site mentioned in links, I would happily make any one of those 4-door bombs my daily driver--even with RHD in a LHD country!
andre N

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 21, 1999 4:18 pm

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by an on July 21, 1999 at 21:51:47:

Point well taken, I hope I didn't sound like an ass, I wasn't trying to be a Mr. Know it all, my mom is a cop so I get the inside on all of the cop cars. If I pissed you off I apologize.
TheDarkOne

Postby roadwarriormfp » Wed Jul 21, 1999 7:38 pm

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by TheDarkOne on July 22, 1999 at 00:18:50:

: Point well taken, I hope I didn't sound like an ass, I wasn't trying to be a Mr. Know it all, my mom is a cop so I get the inside on all of the cop cars. If I pissed you off I apologize.

Well the question asked why would the police (in real life)have a GT wasnt it?...as far as i am aware Australian police bought "pursuit" cars based on the GT specs..they wernt actually GTs(the cars ID plate would reflect this)..as in the case of the car used in the movie,..Australian Police have been buyin cars with the "Police package" since the late 1960s...and still do so today..
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Peter Barton » Wed Jul 21, 1999 8:09 pm

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by slippery sam on July 22, 1999 at 03:38:20:

As far as I know, you are correct - the police cars of that era were based on GT specs, but were not GTs. As far as I know all GTs have a JG33 ID plate, and ex-police cars I've seen are JG23's.

As for the question of the bonnet scoop, I've always assumed this was added for Mad Max, and would not have been on the original car.

: Well the question asked why would the police (in real life)have a GT wasnt it?...as far as i am aware Australian police bought "pursuit" cars based on the GT specs..they wernt actually GTs(the cars ID plate would reflect this)..as in the case of the car used in the movie,..Australian Police have been buyin cars with the "Police package" since the late 1960s...and still do so today..
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Wayne Jones » Wed Jul 21, 1999 9:52 pm

In Reply to: Re: Question for the Australians posted by Peter Barton on July 22, 1999 at 04:09:16:

: As far as I know, you are correct - the police cars of that era were based on GT specs, but were not GTs. As far as I know all GTs have a JG33 ID plate, and ex-police cars I've seen are JG23's.

: As for the question of the bonnet scoop, I've always assumed this was added for Mad Max, and would not have been on the original car.

:

: : Well the question asked why would the police (in real life)have a GT wasnt it?...as far as i am aware Australian police bought "pursuit" cars based on the GT specs..they wernt actually GTs(the cars ID plate would reflect this)..as in the case of the car used in the movie,..Australian Police have been buyin cars with the "Police package" since the late 1960s...and still do so today..

Yeah the cops cars are bassed on the GT specs. But a not all GTs were JG33, only the 4dr sedans. The Coupes XA-XB are JG66, so if anyones ever a GT Coupe it has to be JG66 if ya want a sedan then its JG33.

Wayne Jones

Wayne Jones

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion