Escape From New York Reboot More Likely After FR??

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Escape From New York Reboot More Likely After FR??

Postby scfc68 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 am

Have to say, im a massive fan of this movie too. I think it's as good as MM1 at least. Hell, watched Escape From LA recently and dodgy CG aside, I found it way more entertaining than remembered. Gotta be fan's on here?

Just wondering if the revival of Mad Max (and Bladerunner) might just kickstart the on-off reboot??

It's not too hard to imagine the events in the US in EFNY running parallel to the Max movies, wouldn't even attempt a timeline mind :D
scfc68

Re: Escape From New York Reboot More Likely After FR??

Postby Morrisminor » Tue May 26, 2015 11:09 am

/
Last edited by Morrisminor on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And Cundalini wants his hand back!
Morrisminor

Postby MFP_1138 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 am

Total EFNY fan here. I have mixed feelings about a reboot...the original was so cool in so many ways that if a reboot wasn't done well it would really be disappointing. Yet... I gotta have more Snake Plissken. I'm torn...

I also like EFLA and think it's somewhat underrated and better than what people say about it. That "need to know" line still makes me laugh 19 years later.
"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
MFP_1138

Postby Nightwalker » Tue May 26, 2015 12:00 pm

I also love those movies. EFNY is perfect in so many ways. The movie is very dark and somewhat psychotic. And the music of that movie amplifies that in an excellent way.

EFLA is less thriller like, but more action. But it is still a good movie.

Kurt Russel is just the man for this job. He plays that silent, one eyed, 'OK, I'll do it, but then you get that crap out of my body' mercenary character just perfect. He is also like Max not the hero, but someone who gets dragged along, if he want it or not.

We had this discussion before with MMFR. But I think a reboot of EFNY will end up as a bombastic action flick with who I still have to see to play Snake.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Postby Chase Bansi » Tue May 26, 2015 12:40 pm

I'll join in, would love to see a revisit. I'd vote for Jax from SOA S the lead, he was great in Pacific Rim.
The major changes would have to be replacing Kurt and no twin towers to land his glider on.

No matter where you go, there you are MFP 5863
Chase Bansi

Postby Peter Barton » Tue May 26, 2015 10:21 pm

Big EFNY fan, big John Carpenter fan. Would definitely go and see it if they have another go - but I have my reservations. I'm assuming based on his more recent box office, it wouldn't be given to John Carpenter, which is a shame. Everything he did up until In The Mouth of Madness hit its mark for me (yes, even They Live), everything from Village of the Damned onwards just misfired in some respect. EFLA has its moments, but there's a few things wrong with it too. Wouldn't mind seeing it again - only ever saw it theatrically.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Artemis Flow » Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 pm

No thanks why not just remake Bronx Warriors :|
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby Stamper » Tue May 26, 2015 11:27 pm

On last news the remake will be more like Guardians of the Galaxy than Mad Max FR.

The script is crap, Snake already lives on the prison and helps an annoying female president who crashes in to get out.

It plays a bit like Lock Out, only with Guardians humor. Snake is a parody of a badass upstaged by all the humorous characters.
Stamper

Postby scfc68 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 pm

I guess id still like another movie whatever, you don't have to see it do you, nice to have the choice.

Charlie Hunnam would be an excellent choice, so would the once mooted Gerard Butler, Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey was linked but I just cant picture that one!

Oddly enough, a certain Mr Hardy would have been perfect for it!!

There is another option, Hugh Jackman, I think he would fit.

Don't like the idea of Snake already being an inmate? prefer the outsider angle? can't comment on GOTG as I haven't seen it, not much for superheroes/marvel

Carpenter wont ever get a sniff of a decent budget film again, sadly. It's probably the SyFy channel at best. Carpenter's weakness for me was action scenes, he could build tension, create mood and certainly produce short, sharp bursts of action so evident in EFNY but look at Ghosts Of Mars, that was constant action but its so badly choreographed and filmed that it's laughable. It reminded me of my pet love, 1983's The Atlantis Interceptors (which is every bit as crazy as FR just with a 1000th of the budget) so that I perversely enjoyed it which is more than I can say about say, Christine or Starman. I like Big Trouble In Little China but it's aged poorly. I thought Prince Of Darkness had some brilliant, Quatermass style ideas but fell way short of its potential. Never seen They Live, didn't fancy it at all. I understand the last movie The Ward was very poor being nothing more than a rip off of Identity.

Can you imagine this reboot if it happens and all the sad fans trying to fit it into the original timelines. Wouldn't happen here ;) :oops: ;)
scfc68

Postby DetritusMaximus » Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Spent quite a bit of time hanging out/working around where they filmed much of the night scenes. It was kind of surreal coming out of a club (usually punk rock) late at night and walking along the same streets and buildings. 20 years after it still looked pretty much the same as in the movie, a bit less trash though.

I'd say Jason Statham could pull it off. No pretty boys, maybe that guy from The Hurt Locker, forget his name.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion