"Inspiration" For Max

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: "Inspiration" For Max

Postby scfc68 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:26 am

I think Race With The Devil (1975) was a massive influence; the final chase scene with the family in their motor home being pursued by crazed Satanists in pick up trucks and on bikes is the closest thing I've seen to the end chase in Road Warrior - the car rolls, the pursuit, peter fonda with a shotgun picking them off - it's VERY similar.
I'm sure its on Youtube.
Also Magnum Force, the rogue traffic cops kind of bring to mind the MFP & the Gay Boy Berserkers.
scfc68

Postby pauli77 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:35 am

scfc68 wrote:I think Race With The Devil (1975) was a massive influence; the final chase scene with the family in their motor home being pursued by crazed Satanists in pick up trucks and on bikes is the closest thing I've seen to the end chase in Road Warrior - the car rolls, the pursuit, peter fonda with a shotgun picking them off - it's VERY similar.
I'm sure its on Youtube.
Also Magnum Force, the rogue traffic cops kind of bring to mind the MFP & the Gay Boy Berserkers.

Just had to look up Race With the Devil, never even heard of it. Looks good. Part of the chase is in the trailer by the looks of it and I see what you mean. Some of the camera shots, front of the pursued vehicle as a pursuing car peels ahead.

Magnum Force, yes. There's a real Clint Eastwood element to Gibson's performance in BTD I find, and to some extent Road Warrior, and both RW and BTD call back to westerns and the Man With No Name tradition of Sergio Leonne.
pauli77

Postby seriz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:06 am

When you take a look to the MAD MAX 1 screenplay, you can see that STONE was a great influence, there's the same bikie psychedelic athmosphere. In the movie, it's less obvious.

Dirty Harry was also an influence for Byron Kennedy...

Seriz - I couldn't see a huge link between I Am Legend (the novel) and Max but I guess there is the post-apocalypse setting, though far more urban. You are correct as well, there are early nuke films and actually a lot of early nuke novels.

yes, I was speaking about the post apo movies in general... ;)
seriz

Postby pauli77 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:31 am

seriz wrote:When you take a look to the MAD MAX 1 screenplay, you can see that STONE was a great influence, there's the same bikie psychedelic athmosphere. In the movie, it's less obvious.

Dirty Harry was also an influence for Byron Kennedy...

Seriz - I couldn't see a huge link between I Am Legend (the novel) and Max but I guess there is the post-apocalypse setting, though far more urban. You are correct as well, there are early nuke films and actually a lot of early nuke novels.

yes, I was speaking about the post apo movies in general... ;)

I knew that ;)

Which script/s do you think?
pauli77

Postby MadMatt » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Hears a curve ball Max himself especaily in Road Warrior would have been inspired from the great book SHANE. Also a 1950's film. If anybody has seen the film or read the book knows exactly what im talking about! Also see the Mad Max revenge elements in the John Wayne movie The Cowboys. The crew of the Max films always say in articals and comentarys there based off old westerns or Spagettie westerns.
MadMatt

Postby MWFV8 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:05 am

MadMatt wrote:Hears a curve ball Max himself especaily in Road Warrior would have been inspired from the great book SHANE. Also a 1950's film. If anybody has seen the film or read the book knows exactly what im talking about! Also see the Mad Max revenge elements in the John Wayne movie The Cowboys. The crew of the Max films always say in articals and comentarys there based off old westerns or Spagettie westerns.

Yes, Road Warrior is basically a western.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby pauli77 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 am

MWFV8 wrote:
MadMatt wrote:Hears a curve ball Max himself especaily in Road Warrior would have been inspired from the great book SHANE. Also a 1950's film. If anybody has seen the film or read the book knows exactly what im talking about! Also see the Mad Max revenge elements in the John Wayne movie The Cowboys. The crew of the Max films always say in articals and comentarys there based off old westerns or Spagettie westerns.

Yes, Road Warrior is basically a western.

He's the man with no name, isn't he. Only with a car instead of a pistol lol.
pauli77

Postby scfc68 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Its long been said that the scifi movie replaced the western; its easy to see the common themes, the great unknown etc..

Road Warrior as a scifi western; certainly but Thunderdome even more so
scfc68

Postby MadMatt » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Funny to see Jack Palance look so young in the movie Shane! He was the hired gun slinger set to take on Shane at the end.
MadMatt

Postby P-Tron » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:08 am

Apart from all the post apocalyptic stuff mentioned, westerns were a big influence on The Road Warrior, George MIller directly references this in Thunderdome when the announcer calls Max the "man with no name" in reference to the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone westerns.

PS, sorry just saw a bunch of previous post that talk about westerns
P-Tron

PreviousNext

Return to General Movie Discussion