Favorite non-MAD MAX Miller film?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Favorite non-MAD MAX Miller film?

Postby henry2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:57 pm

I know this topic isn't really related to MAD MAX, but I was just wondering what is your favorite non-MAD MAX Miller film? Miller is my favorite director and I love all his films so it's hard for me to pick one. But his segment in TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE is, I think, the best segment in the film. He also directed the epilogue in that film. LORENZO'S OIL is great, he got an Oscar nomination for it. He won the Oscar for HAPPY FEET. What about you guys? :)
henry2

Re: Favorite non-MAD MAX Miller film?

Postby DetritusMaximus » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Witches of Eastwick. I actually didn't know he did it, until I got a nagging feeling watching the scenes with the Benz.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:15 pm

DEAD CALM, man!!!
That movie is tense as hell and the direction is brilliant.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby TheFilmist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 pm

I'm partial to Happy Feet, myself. I consider it a masterpiece, and will rave about it to anyone I can drag into an alley long enough to listen. I've written a lot in The Moving Arts Film Journal and elsewhere about the relationship between it and the Mad Max films in terms of visual and narrative aesthetic. They're very close siblings - the Happy Feet being the slightly younger and less violent one, and the Mad Max films being its cynical, brooding older brother. But, they're both very much cut from the same cloth. The first Happy Feet in particular is basically a slightly more light-hearted Mad Max film, covering the same thematic ground and with basically the same aesthetic - barren, isolated wastelands, visceral and intensely emotional set-pieces, a focus on how societies function and survive in extreme environments, with Happy Feet being more explicitly a moral fable in this case and examining the dynamics of religion and dogma, and the relationship of the outsider to that community, among many other things.

Really, the only difference between the one and the other is that Happy Feet features, in lieu of death and vehicular man-slaughter on an epic scale, giant musical numbers that serve basically the same purpose within the narrative. Also, nobody dies - but, it's not for lack of trying. And romance in earnest, which was a new thing for him, as well.

Also, not to give anything away, but I'm working on a piece right now, glacially slowly, about the making of Happy Feet, which had a lot of the same core production team as Fury Road - going over its six year production, it's evolution from something much, much darker and its alternate ending, among other things. Interviews with concept artists Mark Sexton and Marco Nero, that sort of thing. Should be good stuff, when its finished. Whenever that is.
TheFilmist

Postby TheFilmist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 pm

rockatansky4073 wrote:DEAD CALM, man!!!

To be fair, he only produced that, I believe.
TheFilmist

Postby TheFilmist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 pm

henry2 wrote:I know this topic isn't really related to MAD MAX, but I was just wondering what is your favorite non-MAD MAX Miller film? Miller is my favorite director and I love all his films so it's hard for me to pick one. But his segment in TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE is, I think, the best segment in the film. He also directed the epilogue in that film. LORENZO'S OIL is great, he got an Oscar nomination for it. He won the Oscar for HAPPY FEET. What about you guys? :)

You and I have the same IRL name. There's one board member here who used to know me who probably assumes we're the same person. Give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart.
TheFilmist

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 pm

you're right, Phillip noyce directed it.

But a producer's credit has never stop that rip off prick - Spielberg, from taking all the credit for a movie.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby biolumen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 am

I'd have to go with Babe: Pig in the City. I just get a Mad Max vibe from it. In particular, the scenes where Babe is being chased by two vicious dogs and the scene where animal control shuts down the shelter (which includes some leather-bound biker cops that look to be straight out of Mad Max). And of course the bungee scene at the end which would remind any Mad Max fan of the Thunderdome. Great movie.
biolumen

Postby TheDarkOne#1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:32 am

Babe: Pig in the City & Dead Calm
A fella, a quick fella, might have a weapon under there.
TheDarkOne#1

Postby MWFV8 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:40 am

TheFilmist wrote:
rockatansky4073 wrote:DEAD CALM, man!!!

To be fair, he only produced that, I believe.

I get your point, but that's like saying Byron Kennedy only produced Mad Max.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion