Why didn't Wez finish off Max after the crash?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: Why didn't Wez finish off Max after the crash?

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:45 am

The result of the final chase reflects pack mentality. Without their alpha and beta leaders, the marauders are just lost scavengers.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby leadcounsel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:16 pm

pauli77 wrote:Agree with the above.

Wez wasn't obsessed with Max. Think people forget it's the Feral Kid who kills the Blonde Youth. All Max did was evade him.

As some one said above, think the fight had gone out of them. Wasted chase really. And they'd already lost men in the first chase and when Max brought the truck.

I love Wez - probably my favorite all-time villain. So rich in character, violence, raw aggression, berserk like qualities. "Go, go, go..." "Aaaghhhhh" "We go in, we kill..."

Wez was pissed at Max from the opening scene car chase. Max pulled his 12 gauge and Wez turned tail. Wez got shot with the arrow due to Max, Max killed the marauders, and escaped.

Wez was pissed at Max during the struggle on the Semi and chase into the compound. They had face to face fight on the Semi and then when Wez was in the compound and Humungus was trying to get them to open the gate. Wez sees Max jump on the flame thrower. Wez is outnumbered and flees. He says to Max, "You can run, but you can't hide." (An excellent line, and perfectly delivered!).

After Wez runs Max down and crashes him, he says he wants him alive. He stands atop the hill and watches his two goons down below, look into the car and then move around behind the car to where the dog in atop the rock. Toadie perhaps destracts Wez about the gas, while Bad Cop shoots the dog not far away atop the rock. Bad Cop reloads and takes aim, perhaps to capture or subdue Max who is struggling to aim his unloaded shotgun in a feeble attempt at self defense. Wez would have had to have been distracted to not see this. Otherwise, I have to believe that Wez must have seen Bad Cop shoot the dog, and reload the crossbow and take aim at Max. Explosion, Wez is pissed, and they leave.

But you'd think Wez would want Max, dead or alive. A big prize either way. Unless he thinks the body is in the burning car.

There are few ways to really rationalize it...

1) Wez totally missed the action down below, which I find unlikely.
2) Wez needed/wanted to quickly get back with Humungus vehicle. Humungus was NOT happy that he took it given Wez's punishment. "Better get back before I get in real trouble..."
3) Wez may have considered there would be others try to escape the compound, as in the previous day when he captured the first vehicle heading east and then went to chase down those heading in other directions. Wez may have been concerned Max was decoy. Nothing remained worth hanging around for...

Interesting topic.

I also think that the remaining bad guys had been exhausted from the fight, had used up a lot of fuel for nothing, had plenty of wounded buddies on the road to gather up, and plenty of cars and gear to pillage. They may have also not known the oil well was destroyed, so they may have wanted to go back to that location, or figured out there was a decoy convoy to pursue.... Any and all of those are plausible reasons.
leadcounsel

Postby MWFV8 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:15 am

leadcounsel wrote:There are few ways to really rationalize it...

1) Wez totally missed the action down below, which I find unlikely.
2) Wez needed/wanted to quickly get back with Humungus vehicle. Humungus was NOT happy that he took it given Wez's punishment. "Better get back before I get in real trouble..."
3) Wez may have considered there would be others try to escape the compound, as in the previous day when he captured the first vehicle heading east and then went to chase down those heading in other directions. Wez may have been concerned Max was decoy. Nothing remained worth hanging around for...

There's only ever one ultimate rationale behind everything in a movie, and that is to drive the story forward. And that often comes before rationale in a scene or concept. Road Warrior is fundamentally irrational in many ways.

But you're looking at this backward, the place to start isn't inventing reasons, it's the blueprint behind the intent in the scene, the script:

The booby trap fizzles and explodes... the petrol ignites... the THREE MARAUDERS are engulfed by a giant fireball.

MAX looks past the flames, staring up at WEZ, not taking his eyes off him...

ROADSIDE. MORNING.

WEZ and the OTHER MARAUDERS watch the great pillar of smoke rise up into the sky.

They return to their vehicles.

INSIDE THE COMPOUND. MORNING.

The GYRO CAPTAIN helps the LUSTY GIRL dismantle one of the small tents.

In the background we see the camp vehicles standing ready, fully loaded. The Mechanic's TEAM are still working on the prime mover.

As PISMO shouts from the tower, the GYRO CAPTAIN looks up to see the smoke from the wreck rising into the sky.

The GYRO CAPTAIN mutters an oath and sprints towards his machine.

The script states Max has got a clear scope on Wez and doesn't say this isn't mutual. It states Wez, along with the other Marauders only see the smoke rising before leaving.

Then you need to look at what the scene is trying to achieve, there is a clear plot element here, Max has hit rock bottom (literally) and can't continue his journey back into the wasteland. But there's something much deeper going on, and that is, despite being treated like crap, despite being safe himself, and despite seeing exactly the same thing as the Marauders, the Gyro Captain takes on a contrasting perspective on the situation. He sees hope and he still sees a chance for Max, his partner, his friend.

As for the end, the script is very different here but it tells a lot:

THE CRIPPLED TANKER. DAY.

The HUMUNGUS draws up to the crippled tanker. WEZ and a SECOND MOHAWKER are on top.

WEZ pulls open a hatch...

The SECOND MOHAWKER plunges in his hand and lets out an anguished cry...

He pulls out a handful of sand.

Below the HUMUNGUS has opened the outlet hose... Sand pours out onto the road.

Above him, the KID is hanging by his arm. Despite the pain... he grins.

SECOND MOHAWKER
All this and no guzzolene.

WEZ, pale with fury, speaks softly:

WEZ
I know where there's guzzolene.

WEZ whirls around and fires his crossbow...

The arrow buries itself in the HUMUNGUS'S mask...

The big man crumbles to the ground, dead.

The rest of the HORDE are arriving. As their vehicles screech to a halt TWO SMEGMA CRAZIES and TWO GAYBOY BERSERKERS leap out, waving their Jerry cans in the air.

WEZ, the SECOND MOHAWKER and TWO OTHERS open fi re.

The FOUR MARAUDERS crumple.

It clearly shows that the Marauders, specifically Wez and his Mohawkers are only banding together with the other gangs for one grand prize. Without this they fall apart. Personally I think it's a better ending in an emotional way. But that's what we see at the end of the produced movie, the Marauders have disbanded as a team.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion