Why didn't Wez finish off Max after the crash?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Why didn't Wez finish off Max after the crash?

Postby leadcounsel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 pm

To preface this, MM2 is among my top favorite all-time films. I'm not criticizing the film and give it 5/5 in spite of a few editing errors and other minor issues.

I've often wondered about a few key points, however. Here is one area I'd love to get conversation, viewpoints, and opinions about.

After Wez causes Max to crash, which was disappointing in how that came about (I would have preferred a different method because as it occurred it created questions on the power/speed of the Black on Black, and Max's being so easily driving off the road into the fatal rollover), Wez failed to kill Max.

Scene setup: Max crashes. Toadie and Bad Cop run down the hill to steal the guzzoline and finish off Max. Given the distance, it appears the car rolled and was some 50-100 meters away, maximum. Wez observed from the top of the hill, a perfect vantage point to see what's going on. We know Wez has good vision because in the opening sequence he was able to see Max draw his shotgun from 100 meters away, and he turned around drove off.

Max has moved off to be partially concealed by a boulder but in close proximity and in plain view of bad cop and Toadie and Wez atop the hill. Wez would have observed Toadie checking the BoB's gas tanks. He would have seen Bad Cop shoot Dog. He likely would have seen Bad Cop reload the crossbow and take aim to shoot Max. He must have known Max was down there, and injured or perhaps dead and not in the car. Car spectacularly blows up. Wez is pissed!

Why doesn't Wez and crew head down there to kill or capture Max, or bring his body back for the Lord Humungus? They don't go down to retrieve the crossbow, Max's shotgun, or anything. Why not?

I've never been able to reconcile that point. I've thought perhaps Wez didn't see what happened, or his vision was bad, or he assumed it truly was all over... Perhaps they didn't want to have to deal with an injured Bad Cop... and assumed his crossbow was destroyed. Assumed there was nothing to salvage, not even fresh dog meat...

Yeah, I know it's just a movie and that's what happened. But I enjoy talking about the film. So if you have nothing to add, please avoid responding.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Bonus question: At the end of MM2, after the semi-crash, a dozen bandits are still alive. They turn around and abandon the chase of the tanker. Why? Did they see the sand pouring from the tanker and know it was a ruse at that point, and only chasing to support their leaders? No leaders means they lost interest, even in salvaging any useful diesel fuel in the rig, and equipment (guns, bows, etc.) in the wreckage?
leadcounsel

Re: Why didn't Wez finish off Max after the crash?

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 am

Nothing to salvage, cause from what he could see up top, everyone and everything blew up.
Why wander down in all that stinking, horrible, smokey heat to even bother?

As he said

"IT'S ALL OVER... LET'S GO"

Bonus question - i think the fight had kinda gone out of them by then.
They saw that is was a ruse and they were clearly beaten and exhausted. They'd lost men, vehicles, a leader and his lieutenant, not to mention all that guzzoline used up during the chase.
More likely they went back the way they came and plundered The Lone wolf machine, The Red XA (what was left), and everything else that crashed or broke down on the way.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby Taipan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 am

Wez is concerned about the fuel first and foremost.

"Toadie, the gas! Hurry up!"

Max isn't a priority here. So when the car blows up Wez is pissed he's wasted his time & resources on the chase, taking Humungus' vehicle etc. So he just leaves Max there to die, even more so assuming that he saw the state Max is in crawling behind a rock. Max would definitely die either way if it weren't for the Gyrocaptain.
You have to also take into account that Wez has got a personal vendetta against Max by that point, so bringing him in alive to Humungus, without any fuel and 2 guys dead would probably infuriate Humungus even more. As if it wasn't enough he took his vehicle. Next thing you know Wez is on a leash, like a puppy.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 am

...AND WHAT HE SAID!!! 8-)
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby Brasher » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:25 am

Agree with all the above.

Fuel and salvaging the vehicle was all that Wez was interested in. After it exploded, all that was gone. He knew Max was still alive, but wanted him to die slowly in the sun I suppose. The main target was the compounds tanker.

After taking Max out of the picture, I suppose Wez thought the odds were more in his favour in getting the guzzaline.

Wez was crazy, but not stupid...

And at the end, the rest of the gang saw what was in the tanker. Their leaders were gone and there was no guzzaline, so why bother risk your life with Max still alive with his shotgun, (for all they knew, even though the sawn off was thrown out of the cab on the ground, and they didn't know he didn't have any shells, I could go on and on...).

They regroup and move on to the next target I suppose? Chasing the convoy??
"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker"
Brasher

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:20 am

They can't have known Max was still alive. They presumed he was dead.

Wez clearly states that, if Max is alive, he wants him.

It makes the GyroCaptains journey out there all the more devoted.
Last edited by MWFV8 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby MachRider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:37 am

Are we certain Wez ever saw Max leaving the car? It's been a while but I think only that one Bad cop saw Max behind the rock. Others probably thougt it's just Dog.

Hence Wez's reaction after explosion took everything out.

Contrary to the Aunty situation, I really can't imagine Wez leaving Max in any state but dead.
MachRider

Postby Taipan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 am

I highly doubt Wez saw anyone crawling out of the car.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Brasher » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 am

Yeah, that's it. Wez thought he was dead.
"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker"
Brasher

Postby pauli77 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:25 am

Agree with the above.

Wez wasn't obsessed with Max. Think people forget it's the Feral Kid who kills the Blonde Youth. All Max did was evade him.

As some one said above, think the fight had gone out of them. Wasted chase really. And they'd already lost men in the first chase and when Max brought the truck.
pauli77

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion