How far did Max actually wander?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

How far did Max actually wander?

Postby mpeach1976@yahoo.com » Mon May 05, 2014 12:57 pm

In MM you see that Max and Jess live right on the ocean. At some point in RW The Curmudgeon show max a sunny beach brochure and says "This is where we're going...2000 miles from here..." is that to subtly clue us into the fact that Max has wandered 2000 miles away from where he started? Not to mention he seems adamant about not going back to where he potentially came from.
mpeach1976@yahoo.com

Re: How far did Max actually wander?

Postby Taipan » Mon May 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Mad Max was shot essentially close to Melbourne, so let's assume Max lived there. The Curmudgeon mentions going up north which is 2000 miles away. I think Max travelled around 2000 miles from Melbourne into the heart of Australian outback to find the Compound. They went another 2000 miles up north to the shore to form the Great Northern Tribe which is in the Northern Terrirory on the map.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby seriz » Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 pm

But the postcard says : "Sunshine coast"
seriz

Postby Taipan » Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 pm

I guess that would work just as well :) Except they should've called it the Great Eastern Tribe if that's where they headed.
Unless of course Max didn't wander that far out into the wasteland since the Sunshine Coast is about 2000 miles away from Melbourne
Taipan

Postby biolumen » Mon May 05, 2014 3:47 pm

When the Curmudgeon said "Paradise", he meant Darwin.
biolumen

Postby BRC1974 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 pm

seriz wrote:But the postcard says : "Sunshine coast"

Maybe they had to change their plans and head elsewhere.
BRC1974

Postby roadwarriormfp » Tue May 06, 2014 6:11 am

I wouldn't take the 2000miles as literal.

Broken Hill to the Sunshine Coast is only 1600km and as the only real "real life" reference to a location is the mundi mundi look out.
We don't know how far the compound was from this location "in movie terms" (as opposed to real life).

There is no way in the world that they would travel to the sunshine coast and then to Darwin as that doesn't make any sense what so ever as you would travel directly from broken hill to Darwin if that was the case. The Sunshine coast IS the location of the great northern tribe.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Taipan » Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 am

With help of Google Maps I've done some research:

Obviously, the only location in RW is the Mundi Mundi Lookout which is like 5km away from Silverton, NSW. So yeah, Max didn't wander into the heart of Australia, but far enough from Melbourne that's for sure.
The Compound was pretty close to Mundi Mundi Lookout. Now check this out:
If they headed out from the compound to Darwin the distance is : 3135 km (1948 miles). I guess the '2000 miles away from here" was spot on, wasn't it:)

Now, I can't confirm that they headed to Darwin although I've heard that town pop up here and there, but never in any document that's official. Biolumen do you have any documents that mention Darwin as their destination?

Other than that everything checks out!
Taipan

Return to General Movie Discussion