Wez's backstory

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Wez's backstory

Postby scfc68 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks again, Uncle ;)

This guy was probably my favourite character when I first saw MM2 some 30 years ago but so little backstory.

A couple of weeks ago (before I joined here) I came across some fanfiction re the big W and the Golden Youth, All said & done, it seemed more like a pretext to write a lot of explicit gay sex scenes as opposed to writing anything of real interest. It basically had Wez as starting off a street punk, ending up in a youth jail for murder and then going on the run with the blue mohawked guy (that ends up under the tanker wheels), stealing the bondage gear that they wear and starting up the marauders, It even gave Blue Mohawk a name, Rebel which I've never seen elsewhere. It then lead into abducting the Golden Youth and then proceeded to turn into something rather different to say the least. It even tried to suggest that both GY & Wez survived their fates in MM2. Ridiculous, when you look at how deep the boomerang is embedded in his head and when (especially on the Bluray) you can see what looks like butchers offal on the front of the mack truck and is clearly what's left of the big guy (the fanfic makes out he jumps just in time)

The story just didn't gel for me, it never even explained his super athleticism for one.

I've read something here, that Vernon Wells has said he was a Vietnam vet - anything solid on this? Perhaps served with Humungus?

I'd like to read some more fanfiction in the absence of more backstory from strong sources, just a little less sexual maybe?
scfc68

Re: Wez's backstory

Postby seriz » Sun May 04, 2014 7:24 am

Wez is a survivalist, he learned to survive during the Vietnam war. This is what we know for sure.
seriz

Postby BRC1974 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:43 am

scfc68 wrote:it seemed more like a pretext to write a lot of explicit gay sex scenes as opposed to writing anything of real interest.

I read the same story a few years back. Full of tent sex. It seemed just like gay fan fiction.:?
BRC1974

Postby scfc68 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 am

Yeah, I always had the impression that Wez was gay through the sheer lack of women out in the wasteland, whereas that fanfic was basically depicting him as a psychotic rent boy from an early age. I think I spotted 3 x women in the Dogs Of War, a really fat bird with a Mohawk, a dark haired girl with an eye patch and that one in the tent who was so kind as to show us what she'd had for breakfast. Didn't seem a lot to go round and maybe Wez didn't fancy sloppy seconds?? :D

I dare say they were so desperate they'd have all run a train on Big Rebecca :shock:

Has anyone spotted any other women in the gang?

Did George Miller ever comment on the whole homoerotic/S & m vibe??
scfc68

Postby Taipan » Sun May 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah, he said that there are 2 reasons why there's a homosexual vibe in the movie.

1. He said in that world there'd be no time to have a baby, nurse infants, etc. So some dudes went with other dudes.
2. Some of the sexes of characters were changed, most notably The Warrior Woman whom was supposed to be a man and The Golden Youth whom was supposed to be a woman.

Not sure about the S&M things though, maybe they were just deviants or something.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby BRC1974 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:59 am

scfc68 wrote:Yeah, I always had the impression that Wez was gay through the sheer lack of women out in the wasteland, whereas that fanfic was basically depicting him as a psychotic rent boy from an early age. I think I spotted 3 x women in the Dogs Of War, a really fat bird with a Mohawk, a dark haired girl with an eye patch and that one in the tent who was so kind as to show us what she'd had for breakfast. Didn't seem a lot to go round and maybe Wez didn't fancy sloppy seconds?? :D

I dare say they were so desperate they'd have all run a train on Big Rebecca :shock:

Has anyone spotted any other women in the gang?

I always assumed this was a female

and on the right of the eye patch female are a few others that may be female
BRC1974

Postby roadwarriormfp » Mon May 05, 2014 12:03 pm

There are women in the gang.... you guys just don't look hard enough...

The golden youth was (according to the novel version of MM2) a young boy taken from a farm (its been a few years since I read the novel, so ill have to go back to it).

But also one has to remember that in the 70s and 80s aussie films "gays" were often shown as the bad guys. (And to a lessor extent maybe US made movies). Since the decay of society shown in MM movies perhaps it was a "liberation" for them as they were very much shunned in those days.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby roadwarriormfp » Mon May 05, 2014 12:03 pm

There are women in the gang.... you guys just don't look hard enough...

The golden youth was (according to the novel version of MM2) a young boy taken from a farm (its been a few years since I read the novel, so ill have to go back to it).

But also one has to remember that in the 70s and 80s aussie films "gays" were often shown as the bad guys. (And to a lessor extent maybe US made movies). Since the decay of society shown in MM movies perhaps it was a "liberation" for them as they were very much shunned in those days.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Anklecranker » Tue May 06, 2014 5:38 pm

If Wez was anything but gay would he have left Nathan's wife for other gang members or would he have " kept her vehicle at least?"
Anklecranker

Return to General Movie Discussion