Mad Max 2 Marauders - are any actually mutants??

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Mad Max 2 Marauders - are any actually mutants??

Postby scfc68 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 pm

This is one that's always bugged me, I can remember when this was first out on VHS waaay back in 1983, that here in England, that on the reverse of the Warner Bros rental case, that it said something about warlords ( I think) and I'm fairly sure mutants as well. Can anyone confirm this?

I know there's some disagreement on the timeline as to if MM2 is post nuclear apocalypse or not but mutants does suggest fallout somewhere after MM1 if the synopsis that I remember is correct?
scfc68

Re: Mad Max 2 Marauders - are any actually mutants??

Postby BRC1974 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:49 pm

I think it said something like 'barbarians of a post nuclear age'
BRC1974

Postby Taipan » Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 pm

There were no mutants in MM2, (because there wasn't a nuclear holocaust yet).
Miller said that introducing a nuclear holocaust pre-Mad Max 2 would create a ton of problems, environment & mutation wise, so he decided to stay away from that scenario.

The effects of radiation are slightly visible in MMBT however. I believe The Collector's hair loss might be an example of that, maybe Blaster's Down's Syndrome (not sure though, can radiation cause it?)
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat May 03, 2014 3:53 am

The Humungus had massive scarring on the back of his head and hair loss, though it could be from a fire.
But no, everyone was pretty much unaffected in MM2.

Its until MM3 that nuclear war is mentioned.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby scfc68 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:14 am

Ive never noticed that scarring, just the veins bulging on the back of the head when Wez is headlocked, must look again.

I always found Wez to be a little bit superhuman and if I remember the bearclaw mohawker had this quite inhuman growl during Humungus' " nobody gets out of here alive speech".

I did always think that mutations couldn't occur that quickly mind, and I think as well I was never sure about when & where the bombs fell. I knew they hadn't dropped in MM1 and they definitely had by MM3 .but inbetween I could never be sure.

On a side note, I found Waterworld was a bit farfetched with the guy having evolved gills in like a couple of hundred years when im sure it would take thousands if not millions!
scfc68

Postby Uncle Entity » Sat May 03, 2014 8:45 am

Nobody looked "affected" by radiation in some capacity in MM2 because they all escaped in the Wasteland before the Nuclear Exchange would occur in the world - so they escaped in the Wasteland around the time set in-between MM1 (collapse of society) and MM2 (aftermath of the Oil War Apocalypse).

Anyway, Australia was barely hit by nuclear missiles, I think they just hit 2 cities (not Sydney).
The hard rains mentioned in Thunderdome must have begun to plague Australia some years before MM2, along with the nuclear winter.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby scfc68 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:10 am

So the nuclear winter is before MM2??

You know if Miller had just included a bit of stock footage from a couple of atomic tests in the opening montage of MM2, life would have been so easier but so little room for debate as well!
scfc68

Postby seriz » Sat May 03, 2014 9:29 am

scfc68 wrote:So the nuclear winter is before MM2??

No.

“I think that the two films fall into the category of postapocalyptic storytelling – but they are not postnuclear. When we discussed the kinds of events that might have led to this primitive world we depict, including the global war that the Narrator alludes to, the nuclear question was avoided entirely. That’s because I firmly believe that a nuclear winter would at best leave a world of insect and grass. Even if we were to include human beings, they’d all have to be suffering enormous problmes from radiation ; perhaps they’d all be mutants. If we had wanted to accurately depict a postnuclear future, we’d have made entirely different films.”

Interview of G. Miller. published in 1984.
seriz

Postby scfc68 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:59 am

seriz wrote:
scfc68 wrote:So the nuclear winter is before MM2??

No.

“I think that the two films fall into the category of postapocalyptic storytelling – but they are not postnuclear. When we discussed the kinds of events that might have led to this primitive world we depict, including the global war that the Narrator alludes to, the nuclear question was avoided entirely. That’s because I firmly believe that a nuclear winter would at best leave a world of insect and grass. Even if we were to include human beings, they’d all have to be suffering enormous problmes from radiation ; perhaps they’d all be mutants. If we had wanted to accurately depict a postnuclear future, we’d have made entirely different films.”

Interview of G. Miller. published in 1984.

Interesting because that confirms MM1 & MM2 as post conventional warfare WW3 movies but then Miller eschews his OWN logic for Thunderdome which is 100% post nuclear. Does he also in the process retcon the earlier movies and make them post nuclear ..or at least MM2??

I think its very easy to always think of an apocalypse as meaning nuclear war..but Ive seen such an event in the local pub on maybe a weekend night when the Carling has ran out...
scfc68

Postby Taipan » Sat May 03, 2014 12:20 pm

I don't believe he does, the first two movies were made with clear intent that the society broke down completely, somewhat clinging onto what's left of the world, but yet to see the worst if you know what I mean.

Also the first two movies aren't post WW3. There wasn't a world war per se, it was a conflict in the middle east that caused the global economy to collapse.

Not to self promote or anything, but I wrote an article on the timeline of events in Mad Max, in the Mad Max Wiki. It's all based on legitimate sources, interviews, production notes, etc. Check it out:

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_events.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion