The trilogy needs new blu-ray editions...

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

The trilogy needs new blu-ray editions...

Postby Uncle Entity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:57 am

This is the sad truth. :(

1- Mad Max needs a major restoration at 4K. It seems like the movie will be re-released with a new transfer for the MGM anniversary. Fingers crossed.

2- The Road Warrior needs a new color timing. This is the general consensus. Movie looks green-ish.

3- Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome features HEAVY telecine judder and flickering from start to finish.

Petition?
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Re: The trilogy needs new blu-ray editions...

Postby BRC1974 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm

WITH DELETED SCENES AND DECENT COMMENTARIES
BRC1974

Postby biolumen » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 pm

1. Yes, Mad Max needs restoration work. Done right, the movie could look like it was made yesterday. Sadly, I don't expect MGM to make this happen. If Miller was really interested in taking the lead on any restoration, he might be able to work something out. I just don't know if he's that interested.

2. I thought the latest version is the one with the corrected color timing? Now I'm confused.

3. Haven't watched the bluray of MMBT yet.
biolumen

Postby seriz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 am

Uncle Entity wrote:This is the sad truth. :(
2- The Road Warrior needs a new color timing. This is the general consensus. Movie looks green-ish.

There's definitely not a "general consensus". Only people who want to find back the image of the DVD and don't know how the original copy can say such a thing. The fact is that the bluray is exactly as the 35mm copy. I saw the bluray and the day after the 35mm copy, and it's exactly the same. If you think there's a problem of color, it's just because you saw too much time the crapy DVD or the ugliest VHS... (it was said billions of time i think)
seriz

Postby Uncle Entity » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am

seriz wrote:
Uncle Entity wrote:This is the sad truth. :(

I saw the bluray and the day after the 35mm copy, and it's exactly the same. If you think there's a problem of color, it's just because you saw too much time the crapy DVD or the ugliest VHS... (it was said billions of time i think)

Seriz,

Calm down, Raggedy Man. Too much testosterone on this forum lately. What's going on? :)

I'm the one claiming on the blu-ray forum that the BD color timing is indeed RIGHT, because DVD presentations used to be "boosted" in terms of colors to make look the new (at the time) format "popping up" from your screen.
I was just asking for your feedback one more time.

Said that, people reported some telecine judder for RW too. :roll:
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Stamper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

Er, you probably saw a digital screening.

The actual 35mm prints all look like the old DVD. Same goes for the audio mix which is the LD mix. The new remix is crap with no dynamics.

Someone actually saw a real 80's era print screening, and reported on BR.com that it's the same as the old DVD and the new Blu is innacurate.
Stamper

Postby seriz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm

You know, i can make the difference between when it's a digital screening, and when it's not. When the guy who organise the event come before the screening to apologize that the copy is in a real bad condition, and when the copy is full of scratchs, holes and missing frame, I think I can say it's not digital. It was a copy from the early 80's...

The DVD has the red boosted, it looks cool because we saw it again and again, and again. We used to this image. But I'm 100% sure that the BR copy is totally accurate to the 35mm print.

Take a look to the behind the scene pictures if you're surprised that it's too green.
seriz

Postby Uncle Entity » Sat May 03, 2014 8:47 am

Someone claimed "The Road Warrior" presents some telecine judder too... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Uncle Entity

Return to General Movie Discussion