Timeline of the MM2 chase scene

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Timeline of the MM2 chase scene

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:34 pm

In-universe.
Was it the morning or the afternoon?
How many hours did it last?
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Re: Timeline of the MM2 chase scene

Postby Taipan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Wow, that's a difficult one. The lighting varies from shot to shot. I guess it's safe to say that the chase took place during a.... day.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby BRC1974 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:14 am

There's one point during the chase where the sun is near the horizon. Maybe the shot of Max on the road at the end is at sunset, an hour or so after the crash.
BRC1974

Postby MWFV8 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:35 am

It's a difficult one to make a call on.

In the screenplay Hayes, Miller & Hannant specify Morning, Day and Dusk in the sluglines. The final scene is set at Dusk and prior to the chase (when Max awakens after his crash) as the audience we overhear Pappagallo saying "It's defensible. We can refuel there. But! Only give us until sunset. If we haven't made it by then, keep going!" so here he's referencing the planned meet up after hopefully duping and beating the Maruaders.

Generally in filmmaking, if there's a gap in time between scenes you try and make that clear to the audience*. The chase seems to run pretty much in real time. However that gap after the chase and meeting the caravan is ambiguous, but given that Max has commandeered the Lone Wolf Machine to reach there and Pappagallo stated previous they'd need to refuel at the rendezvous it would suggest at least an hour or so has passed I think.

I'd also say that, if I was sending out a caravan into the desert led by a bright yellow school bus, I'd want to be travelling in the dark and thus I'd plan my escape to be as late in the afternoon as possible.

Plus we have to consider that trying to shoot a whole host of big scale stunt scenes within the shooting schedule would mean sometimes getting shots late in the day.

*The film sort of gets this wrong and implies a passage of time when Max runs from the compound in the Interceptor. He drives toward the Maurader camp in the darkness and then it cuts to daybreak on the highway, this whole cut feels wrong because of the sudden apparent time change. But it's a good example of how such a cut implies a time change.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Return to General Movie Discussion